Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PBS "Shaolin Ullysses" Special...

From a recent post in the Discussion (Archive):

If you are the same Doctor who appeared in ?Shaolin Ulysses it is such a shame that instead of contributing to the light which surrounds Shaolin you came off like some self absorbed idiot, with too much cash and too little sense ready to package and sell Shaolin with a Hooters franchise right next to the temple.....

Next time you get a chance to be seen try to contribute something a little more positive because truthfully you struck most of the audience including me as a real live asshole.

Kind regards
    xxxx

PS. Great website

A recent email from the same individual who had posted that:

Actually I feel kinda bad about my posting in the Shaolin Ulysses thread.
    Gene Ching is a good friend of mine and speaks well of you Doc. I did not consider the fact that editing and the film makers vision (or lack thereof) can strongly influence the perception of a CHARACTER. Gene also informed me of your good work toward promoting Shaolin which also just happens to be my life's work. So cheers Doc keep up the good work and I promise not to call you an asshole again until I met you and can judge for myself :-))

Peace

xxxx

PS
    I tried to post this at your forum but it would not take.

No problem. Appreciate the response. I have no doubt that I'm going to get more abuse as this thing wears on. PBS is expected to air it sometime this summer or fall. Quite frankly, I'm not looking forward to it. The problem with the special is that most people miss the message that the film producers were trying to send; most people just get hung up on the imagery, which, at the time of filming, I knew was not "good", but, being a good friend of Gene's (and since Gene was on the production team at the time), I just did what they wanted. I had a feeling that it wasn't going to go over well, but, I was just being helpful. I did what they wanted me to do.

So much for being helpful. Oh, well, a little character assassination is always good, every once in a while. It makes you stronger.

It will be interesting, as time goes on. Once this thing airs, no doubt, people are going to want to crucify me. The forum no doubt will be entertaining, to say the least.

doc
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

sounds like they got it right the first time Doc. You'll have to be more abrasive next time to more appropriately portray your true character...or should I say lack thereof?

Jeff

Comment

Does anyone know when Shaolin Ulysses is being released in the UK?

Or Shi Yan Ming's BBC documentary?

[Any idea what it's called, Arhat?]

Comment

Hey Doc,

I'm back from Shaolin, left cause of SARS. It hadn't arrived in Henan yet, but my family didn't want me to risk it. Training was cut short, but there'll be other opportunities. How is your health? Will you return to China once SARS is gone?

I saw "Shaolin Ulysses" at the VC Film Festival in LA a few weeks ago, and was thoroughly pleased to have met you. Well, at least to see your moving image, hear your voice, and learn about you more than the written word on your website. I thought the movie was well done.

The interesting thing, though, was after the movie I spoke to some girl who said that she wanted to go to the Shaolin Temple. I recommended russbo.com as the single best resource for Shaolin information. When I mentioned that the guy in Las Vegas is the one who made the site, she gave me an "oh no", that was surprising as well as disheartening. She mentioned that she wanted somewhat of a spiritual experience, and I'm guessing her impression of you contrasted that entire notion.

I was wondering how you felt about the film while it was made and afterwards. You mentioned it on your website, humbly acknowledging that you made a fool of yourself. But I just feel personally hurt when I know that my friend has been cheated, am I correct in saying that?

I met Gene Ching during the Shaolin Conference, and he mentioned about some bad movie experience where you were made to look like a fool. I'm guessing that was "Shaolin Ulysses". Well, I wanted to let you know that whatever the outcome, I'm happy to have gotten to know more about you, and I appreciate you taking the chance to share Shaolin with the world, with integrity and honesty.

Take care, and if you're ever in LA, I would be happy to be your host around town.

xxxx

I've yet to write about my feelings on this whole PBS special. It's coming. And the whole idea that some young woman just didn't find me to be "spiritual". Oh, if she ever knew....
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Well, I believe Martha Burr used to be the editor of "Kung-Fu Qigong Magazine", and was a colleague and friend of Gene Ching, who is your Disciple brother. So you and Martha are somewhat connected, possible friends, but I don't understand how a "friend" could manipulate one's image as was done in the film. I'm not sure if you talk to Martha on a daily basis, and I don't know if you regret doing the project. That's all I'm saying.

I'm a filmmaker too, and although I believe that the peaks and valleys, triumphs and losses are essential to telling a good story, manipulation is wrong.

Take care,
          xxxxx

Manipulation is wrong, but, you've got to remember, everybody in life has their own agenda. And their own way of accomplishing it....

I don't regret doing the project. I agreed to help out some friends with a project, I think, the first project of this kind that they've done, because the purpose appeared to be noble. To promote what the Shaolin monks were doing in America. I do regret not speaking up more about how they wanted to use me however. But, this is life. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

russbo.com

Comment

"Free Your Mind..."

I've not seen the movie yet, but I'm glad you prepared me for your mis characterization. I can say that because though I've not posted much on the forum, I have read a hell of a lot! I know what kind of man you are and wish the people who are associated with me were 1/10th as impressed with me as I am with you! You are truly a noble individual. I mean that!
            Peace, favor your sword. "In these modern times many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use." Achille Marozzo, 1536 Donald Corey Pillow

Familiarity breeds Contempt

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

There ain't a wrong way to do right or a right way to do wrong! Joe Frazier

Ignorance is Bliss

Comment

Thanks. I'm sure that there are many out there who are impressed with you.

But maybe you should reserve your kind words for after you see the show, lol...

russbo.com

Comment

anyone know if this special is available online anywhere? hey just wondering..

Comment

It is now not in the possession of PBS. It is back in the hands of the producers, who are adding more gong fu sequences (and hopefully less of me, lol). It will be for sale soon. We might carry it on the docstore when it becomes available.

russbo.com

Comment

yo doc i sow the spacial and it was all right but that rich guy was you man i thought that guy was just some rich dude that had a lot of monye and nothing better to do. lol! but i ve been reading this web site for a few years and you arnt nothing like the way the movie made you out to be man you should try to see if they can edit it for you lol man i can tell you are a good preson so if any one has a prable with you they have a proble with me ...........and all the shaolin monks and practsioners hahahahhaha awill get them doc no prob
                    lil monk

Comment

ok honestly I don't see why anyone would think doc was an asshole having seen that. I mean just cause someone is rich, eats at hooters, and has a nice car and house doesn't make them an asshole. I didn't even know about this website when I watched that special last october so I am not biased either. that was the first time I saw doc and I was focusing on what he was saying and not the upper regions of the hooters girls. I think that was what people missed
                      "Hasta la vista gray davis you're being totally recalled" - The Governor of California

Comment

mm, hooters girls.... wait what was that kirk?

Comment

I rented "Shaolin Ulysses" recently. (Netflix is a beautiful thing)

I rented it cause I wanted to a little more about the Houston monks. Imagine my surprise when I saw the famous (infamous?) "Doc" on the screen as well. It took me a second to realize who the bald guy taking a monk into a Hooters was. Since I had found this forum long before I saw the documentary, it was kind of jarring.

I'm not sure if anyone was really flattered in the film. It was interesting and entertaining in some spots, but some of the Houston students came across as barbaric, Doc came across as a jackass, and I don't think Li Peng was cast in too favourable of a light either.

All I can say is, "Oh my god I want your house!"

As a sidenote, since then, I've met Shi de Shan briefly when I went to watch two of his classes, he was very nice. He seemed to like to crack jokes. It also made me realize I need to brush up on my Cantonese. Ok, ok, learn it past "Ney Ho Ma? Ho, Ho, Dho jhe."

Comment

Originally posted by feylahn

All I can say is, "Oh my god I want your house!"
                            Hey, if you come mop the floor, I'll let you visit.
                            I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                            "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                            "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                            "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

You got yourself a deal.

Does mopping come with the Doc Supreme?
                              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Working...
                              X