Anatomy & Physiology books for martial artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anatomy & Physiology books for martial artists

Doc, I have a couple of A & P books at home, but I was wondering if you knew of any books that might have more of a slant towards MA (or general sports) orientated a & p. More to do with the muscular ,skeletal , and nervous systems I'm guessing??????
    I've always found that it helps my training if I understand what's going on inside my body (both from the western & eastern train of thought).

Thanks.
    Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.

Don't know of any. The books that I'm familiar with are medical school oriented ones, which might be a little "too much" for your needs.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them here on the forum. Though, I have to admit, I'm a bit behind....
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Hmm. Interesting question. Unforunately my answer is little different from Doc's, except that I'm currently taking anatomy & physiology at UConn and I start a four year master's degree program in chinese medicine in the fall. As opposed to Doc, who is, well, an old fat bald doctor No offense to any old fat bald skirt chasing doctors who may be reading this I'm happy to share what little i know in regards to specific questions though. But doc will probably be more helpful in that regard
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

As opposed to Doc, who is, well, an old fat bald doctor
        Excuse me?

I just want you to know, that I am not fat. I am not old. And I am not bald. I just have nasty allergies and a dog that pops pills...

Youngsters...., lol
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Hmm...

Well, Your not fat.
          I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
          "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
          "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
          "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

For quick reference & general knowledge there are 2 books on martial arts & anatomy that I have…

"Health and Fitness in the Martial Arts" by James Canney
            Charles E Tuttle Co; 1988/1992. ISBN: 0804818614. 103 pages.

Good little book for general medical knowledge.
            Chapters: Nutrition, Respiration, Circulation, Muscles, The Skeleton, Some Individual Joints, The Nervous System, The Glands, Psychology, & Training Children.

"Deadly Karate Blows: The Medical Implications" by Brian Adams
            Unique Publications; 1986. ISBN: 0865680779. 124 pages.

According to the book it was written in 1968 as a thesis for black belt promotion in the International Kempo Karate Association, & encouraged by then president Ed Parker. "Adams & a team of medical experts committed over 3 years to researching…"
            Not the be-all-&-end-all of things that could/might happen but not bad to have on your shelf.

Chapters: Striking the Forehead, Ears, Temple, Eye, Bridge of the Nose, Spot Under the Nose, Jaw, Throat, Back of the Neck, Collar Bone, Solar Plexus, Side of the Rib Cage, Diaphragm, Spleen, Kidney, Elbow, Bladder, Groin, Spine, Thigh, Back of the Knee, Front Knee Joint, Shin Bone, Achilles Tendon, Shock, & Principles of First Aid & Pain Reduction.

Of course for just basic background of human anatomy any copy of:

"Gray's Anatomy of the Human Body" (30th Edition) by Henry Gray, Carmine D. Clemente (Editor) Publisher: Lea & Febiger; 1985. ISBN: 081210644X. 1676 pages.

But for specific questions ask Dr. Russell!!!

Comment

Doc, are you're allergies to indoor pollutants or to outdoor pollens molds etc. ? Cause the latter are easily curable without medication. The former are easily curable by moving to the woods.

Anywho, you're still fatter than me, but i'm one lanky bastard so that doesnt mean much.

Besides, we kid because we love
              Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Another book that might be interesting for some(though not the traditionalists),
                would be "strength training anatomy" by frederic delavier (ISBN 0-7360-4185-0).
                Gives an "x-ray" of nearly any conventional strength training exercise with very good
                drawings.

but for martial arts.. I don't know of any.

Comment

Working...
                X