Qi Gong Psychotic Reactions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qi Gong Psychotic Reactions.

Interesting concept here, one which does require some more looking into. I think you'll find this interesting:

I found your email address on your site. I have a small bit of information about Qi Gong you should have.

You may be aware that Qi Gong Psychotic Reaction is included among Culture Bound Syndromes in the DSM. But the authors of that listing of mental illness don't know why it happens. I believe I do.

To avoid long complicated explanations I posted a web site. It is about Subliminal Distraction. You may quote or use any material on the site with attribution. Visit the copyright page for full details.

I have an email from a grad student in Design that Subliminal Distraction is the correct name for this problem. Visual SD is not generally recognized in the United States. I can not find any medical or psychiatric professional aware of the problem.

The "special circumstances" that allow exposure from Subliminal Distraction can be created almost anywhere. Correctly performing Qi Gong or Kundalini Yoga in groups does that. Those circumstances are eyes open concentration or mental investment to the point of slight dissociation while there is repeating detectable movement in peripheral vision. Daydreaming is enough dissociation. Users subliminally detect the movement of others exercising with them.

Long term users begin to believe they have superhuman or supernatural powers.

Take your time on the site. I am searching for medical professionals to investigate and write about this problem.

xxxxxx
    Visit the site and start by performing the psychology demonstration of
    habituation in peripheral vision.
    http://www.VisionAndPsychosis.Net
    Visit the site, and if you find anything relevant to our discussion of qi gong, feel free to copy and paste it here in this forum. Sometimes this material is too good to "lose" on other sites (which have a tendency to disappear with time)

doc
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Hmm, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
    I suffer from BiPolar disorder, and I find I have to be very careful with energy.
    The slightest thing can send me manic, and into psychosis, if I'm not feeling my best especially, and can't control my energy too well.
    It's a good reason for my studying T'ai Chi and QiGong - to better control my energy to prevent such things from happening.

A party with too many people happy and excited can send me manic, things like that.
    Practicing QiGong, and trying to control your energy, if you don't have a natural talent for it, or don't know how to do it, I can understand why that would cause problems for people with mental states like myself.
    I'm fortunate in that I have always known how to control my own energy, but I know that if I didn't, and I tried to control my energy flow, I'd really mess my mind up.

It's simply a matter of not being taught properly. Too many mass teachings, and dvd teachings, not enough one on one training. The master would be able to see their student is having problems if it was one on one, and would step in and work on control a lot more at the beginning.

It's a shame.

Djon Ma
    Karma Dechen Djon Ma
    "For as long as space endures, And as long as living beings remain, Until then may I too abide, To dispel the misery of the world."
    Shantideva

Comment

It could also be the case that people predisposed to believing they have superhuman or supernatural powers are drawn to practicing gongfu, qigong and yoga. I submit as evidence certain frequenters of these forums.

Comment

Here? Thought you'd find those superhumans more so at other forums...

I have to get the ARCHIVE up again. Now, we had a few supernaturals back then. Worth revisiting.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Well I don't go to any other gongfu forums, but I guess having frequented this one for a while now I've seen more deluded egomaniacs than I'm used to on, say, baseball message boards.

Comment

Aren't we all deluded? If not we'd be enlightened!

:-P

Djon Ma
            Karma Dechen Djon Ma
            "For as long as space endures, And as long as living beings remain, Until then may I too abide, To dispel the misery of the world."
            Shantideva

Comment

Djonma vajra sister nice 2 c u r back

as i also tend to suffer from psichosis

i think too much inwardli meditation is not good for me

that is whi i m not attracted bi the tibetans vizualisation that seem a bit hipnotic hallucinatori brain washing 2 me

what do u think?

peace and love

Comment

Aren't we all deluded? If not we'd be enlightened!
                i'm not sure i understand the logic between these statements.
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

i'm not sure i understand the logic between these statements.
                  The point of Buddhism is that we're all enlightened, we just happen to be deluded at the moment, thinking we're stuck in this samsaric life.

Djon Ma
                  Karma Dechen Djon Ma
                  Shantideva

Comment

i don't follow. is it like a kind of riddle or something?
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

G, it's simple.

If you're not deluded, then you're enlightened.

If you're not enlightened, they you're deluded.

And, from my view on things, almost everyone is deluded to some degree.

And, in America, incredibly ****ing stupid.

But that's just my opinion.

Time for me to get out of here and get to Thailand...

russbo.com

Comment

it seems simple enough. i understand the concept; it's the logic of it all that gets me.

it's the 'eliminativist' in me. lol...

i suppose i just don't see how it captures the human condition. it's as if we're these messed up barrels of tainted liquid begging for a proper filter and spicket.

does it have to be one or the other? and is it like a goal to not be the other?
                        Last edited by onesp1ng; 12-11-2008, 03:35 PM.
                        ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

It's totally Buddhist, sorry.
                          Basically, the goal is to be enlightened, rather than deluded.
                          Delusion doesn't mean a 'bad' thing as such, only that you're stuck in samsara.
                          And we're not messed up... we're all enlightened really.
                          But yeah, it does paint a pretty bad picture of reality - this world is just messed up and we want to escape.
                          But then when you've understood some of the teachings, you'll see that it is pretty damned bad.
                          I can tell you a hell of a lot about pain, sickness, death, old age, etc.
                          (not my old age or death, but pain and sickness I have by the bucketfull).

Though that means I see myself as fortunate because I see these things because I experience them. Take the basic story of Shakyamuni Buddha; he didn't experience those things at all, because his Father wouldn't allow it. As soon as he did, he realised the world was just suffering.

I hope that explains a bit more...

Djon Ma
                          Karma Dechen Djon Ma
                          Shantideva

Comment

djon alot of people here have done a hefty amount of research on buddhism..i know i have. ive probably forgotten more then i remember but in the end i think my grasp of the religion is pretty good.

i dont agree though that life is suffering as much as a life spent being self serving is in the end suffering. but life itself doesnt have to be suffering, bad things happen all the time, u just gotta roll with the punches.

the way i see it if bad things happen to you and they dont make you stronger or wiser then you are lacking the very intuition i think would be a good word that life imho is all about.

u could go and say oh attatchment is suffering and bla bla but thats all part of the human experience. allowing yourself to experience emotions and attatchment ingeneral is crucial
                            "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

i disagree. I apologize but this stuff angers me. Some guy trying to take advantage of the naivety of americans when it comes to exercise?(no joke intended,lol)

kundalini will NOT cause you develop psychosis. yoga will NOT cause you to develop psychosis.

How can these people tell whether or not the subjects did not already have lingering mental illness?

If i could, i would give the author of this article a book on kundalini and tell him to read it, and suggest that he talks to an expert on the subject, since it seems to me his research is one sided, i could be wrong. I dont junk like this because to me it sounds one sided and biased, thats my opinion but feel free to correct my uneducated ass..

It sounds more like ADD to me.

Here are 3 ways to help with mental or subliminal distractions.

~dont look, close your eyes, block your peripheral vision if you have to.

~personal mantra

~Picture yourself
                              Last edited by master splinter; 12-14-2008, 07:17 PM.
                              "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Working...
                              X