Experience Teaching English Henan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience Teaching English Henan

Has anyone had any experience teaching english in Henan provience China?
    Have seen some pretty good deals on the web wondering if anyone got any first hand experience, or are they too good to be true, jobs including accom 2 meals a day and return airfares depending on length of stay!?

Thanks for any help

do you..

first off whered you hear this? links etc pls?

do you speak/write mandrin?

or are these people just looking for english speaking..people lol

cause i mean if so..sounds scammish and a lil wierd

prolly go there and get shanghai'd or get your 2 bowls of rice a day with a nice airfare of a return trip on a freight plane..or worse a plane ride with doc..oh jesus!

hehe

peace
    "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Maestro i got from this site

Maestro from this site www.teach-in-china.com

It seems for most jobs u just need a BA and come from english speaking country Aust, CAn Eng or USA.
      I know the pay and conditions vary but basically just want cheap or free accom so i can stay for a while.

Has anyone had any experience with these agency/bulletin boards or is it better looking around when get there??

Comment

china....i've heard both good and bad stories about teaching in china. generally, teaching english in a foriegn country can be an amazing experience, and i am doing that right now in Japan. about china though, most jobs will pay about US$500 a month. keep in mind though that this is a lot of money in china, and while you're there you'll live like king, at least compared to the other normal teachers at the school. you just won't save an outrageous amount of money, which can happen in a place like japan. most of what i've heard from friends and my chinese teacher is that you have a lot of free time, perhaps spending about 5 hours a day total teaching and preparing. most places cover housing, which is usually much better than what the other teachers live in, utilities, food and medical care. they will also assist in finding activities such as language classes, martial arts classes, calligraphy classes, etc. for you. that being said, i'm sure there are plenty of shady deals to be had in china. one person i heard of had her passport taken from her by the school and was told she couldnt get it back until her contract had been completed. she contacted the us embassy and they took care of it for her, because that could've turned out to be a real bad situation, but still working for some jerks would really suck. i'd say this...if you're serious about teaching in china, learn mandarin now, start making contacts now, and really press these schools to tell you exactly what they are offering. getting a stupid job at home is one thing, getting a stupid job overseas is an entirely different thing, one that i hope nobody has to go through.
        -Jesse Pasleytm
        "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

well well

ShanZai ShanZai

-First fo all. as long as it went for me... teaching in china is no big deal if you re a native English-speaker. (i ll be even better if you have a high school degree).
          I Taught english last year... about 100 yuan for a an hour... i suppose it is arounf what you can get in Zhengzhou....
          If your aim is to go study Shaolin gong fu in china... i can hook you up with my friend... and he ll help you find a job...
          for information on him please check out "Shi Yan Jun 34gen" thread.

even If you do come but do not wish to train with him send me some mail... i ll help u out if u need it.

well...
          thats what i can say for now.

Comment

Hey,

you have it right. They just usually need to see a BA. It's a big industry over here. Huge! And there is always a demand for native English speakers. I'm not sure what the situation is in Henan, although a coworker and friend of mine did work in Zhongzhou last year.

In Shandong, where I'm teaching in Qingdao, the pay has been quite fair, at least according to Chinese standards. In fact the Chinese teachers I work along side get about 1/4 what I make. In any case, there are some valid reasons for that. But essentially I make 5500rmb per month, which breaks down to something like 700usd. The school I work for has given me a month off paid winter vacation, two paid months off for summer vacation, 500rmb per month allocated for rent, and round trip airfare.

Of course I have heard uncountable amounts of horror stories, so be careful. The school I work for is a true pain in the neck, yet they have come through on just about everything they said they would. Just, my suggestion is, really look at what you want to accomplish over here. If you want to train or study, definitely don't take a full time position. You should also remember that if you want to go to school, you actually can't work legally. The same is true if you work -- schools a no no -- but that's not to say people don't do it all the time.

At any rate, if you have some experience and enjoy the thought of experiencing the daily working routine that the Chinese adhere to, you might find a job at an international school. The pay can get upwards to 1500usd per month or more. Then again, the bigger the city, the better your chance is to get paid more. The best bet is to find a job where you only have to teach for 10-12 hours a week, something without office hours. I mean I came to study Chinese. It hasn't been easy considering the 8:30-3:30 schedule I keep, plus class preparation. It's kind of stupid cause I'm in class around 14 hours a week; I have to stay in the school though.

As for those boards, it's how I found my job. Don't got through an intermediary, however. You can find a job on your own if your determined, and there are plenty to choose from. They will only take your money.

Oh, and you can tutor. You can always find tutoring gigs for about 100rmb an hour. That's like ten bucks. If you can get your hands on a business visa somehow, well, you can easily make enough money tutoring instead of contracting with a school. Due to sars, I would suggest you contract one, if that's what you want, rather than coming over and looking around. Many programs have halted a bit subsequently.

I spent a year here and it's been a bumpy ride. I love the place, but I didn't like having to work like I did. They don't get any breaks. It's just work, work, work. The big entertainment is going out to dinner. But exploring the country, meeting friends, having some remarkably wonderful students, and the studying, have all made it a nice success.

Will be on route to Taiwan next year to continue my studies at chenggong university in Tainan. No job lined up for me.....yet! I can't wait.

(And one last thing...jeez was it difficult to get back on this board posting again. My old username was canceled (dragnsp) and then when I reregistered with this username, my password wouldn't work. And because all the internet cafes are shut down in my area, it made it even more annoying. What's up with that Doc?

Was starting to think you guys didn't want me any more. lol)

D
            ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

The user name/password from the old board won't work on this one. And, occasionally, there are a few hiccups in this server. I'm not sure why. We've got over 1400 registered people on this server, you're the second one that I've heard had some problems. Might have been the delay with your internet connection from China. If you're still having problems, email me.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

Hey, what's happenin G.

I was wondering who else from Russbo was in Qingdao...

Comment

Thanks for all the replies

Thanks for all the help that is what i like about this site, get the real stuff from people who have been there not dreamed it.
                  I plan on learning Mandarin before i go, Doc has already helped me with the very important "Tza ni ma"

Comment

Definitely learn as much Chinese as you can before you come but please don't use that phrase. cao ni ma (the pin yin romanization) basically mean ***k your mother. Doc isn't a very good role model with this one, and Chinese rarely show there emotions enough to use something so serious. If you use it, you might also have to use your gong fu to defend yourself. Just a thought. (dan shi, ni sui bian a!) But you do as you like!

Best wishes,

D

(Hey, Lip! everythings going OK. I'm about to skip this joint in the next week to go down south for a bit. Then I'll return home to visit the relatives for around a month. Hope your doing well. Are you? How's the training going? From reading your posts it seems you're your spirited self anyway. Take care. )
                    ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Working...
                    X