Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

news to me...

...who told you that?

more chance of a snowball rolling up to the devil's foot.

one of the reasons why Wan Heng is in Vienna is sort of along these lines of who's who's disciple...but this is news to me and I can pretty much bet my left arm it's a false rumor akin to the he murdered an opponent in the ring story, and tons of others too...maybe something someone said got mangled as it passed along the shaolin grapevine.
    "Arhat, I am your father..."
    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Not a bad place to train, huh Doc? Big open outside training area, and at least you don't feel like you are enclosed in a factory building, like most of the schools in DengFeng. Too bad you missed all the key players. I think even you would have been impressed!

I'm seriously considering going back with the guys, after their show at the millenium dome. How long are you out there Doc? I'll let you know if I decide to go back.

PS The showers have very good hot water!!!

Comment

I was impressed with the facility, though a western toilet always scores great brownie points in my book, lol. (I just hate using that ****ing white thing in the ground...) And, I'll assume that the training is just as good, if not better, than the other schools. Yes, I certainly would recommend this school to others (and I already have).

Sorry, but I won't be here if you come. I'm almost finished taking care of the business that I had to take care of, and, there certainly was a lot of it this time around.... I have to head back to Beijing to finish up some visa work, and then eventually get back to Thailand and home. There's going to be a lot of work to do at home this fall, with the potential for all these monks to be in Vegas in the next few months. Just got lots to do.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Thank you so much for setting this up for me. I have been waiting 30 years to do this. I wrote a book back to you and Hei Hu and it seems to have gotten lost. But the basics of it are many thanks and then of course the details. What is the best way to get to Dengfeng? Do I need to fly into one area and then train or another plane to Dengfeng? What should I take with me? I am going to try to only take a backpack. But will I need to buy bedding once there or how does that work? As far as the toilet in the floor, well after living in a 240sq/ft cabin in Alaska and having an outhouse, and then of course there are those trecks through the woods in subzero temps and using snow as toilet paper gives me a good indication that I can deal with a hole in the floor. Nothing colder or more invigorating than snow on the bum, lol...
          My only and main concern is that I had back surgery (in October it will be one year). I started doing Tai Chi 2 months after surgery and then Silat Serak 5 months after. I would lie down for 3 days after Silat and question my sanity, but kept going. Then it became 2 days then one and then hours. Now I do not need to lie down at all after class. And they say stubborness is a bad trait, ha ;~). That and determination, meditation and breathing has been wonderful tools. I will be flying out of Alaska instead of California. My passport should be here next week, then I will get my visa and from there the airline ticket. So any information on the best route to take would be appreciated. Hei Hu are you going to be in Dengfeng in October? It would be wonderful to meet both you and Doc. And Doc, when are the teachers going to be in Vegas? If it is before I leave maybe I can go and meet them and you if you are going to be there as well? Wow, I am finally going to China. WOOHOO! After dreaming for so long of this day I am now finding myself quite nervous. My kids' bless their hearts, are rooting for me. Me a 42 year old woman and grandmother, is finally going to where my heart has been longing for me to go. If only I could put into words what this means, but I am sure I do not need to. I know it is going to be tough but I also know it will be well worth the effort.
          Many blessings and thanks for all the help.
          Missa

Comment

Hei Hu, the performers are hanging out at the temple. Go say hello...

Comment

Well, I guess it's time to start a new forum concerning travel tips to Shaolin. I'll get it started.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Thanks, I caught up with the guys yesterday at Shaolin UK. It looks as though I'm going to fly back to Dengfeng with them in 10 days, and train at YanZhang's school again. They twisted my arm!

Sorry I'll miss you Doc. I will be opening a nightclub/restaurant in Vegas next year, so it looks as though I'll do a little training with you while I'm in town. Now.......about those Doc honeys???

Missa, fly into Beijing....Take a train from Beijing (sleeper car) to Zheng Zhou (8 hour train ride). Take a bus from Zheng Zhou to Dengfeng. The school is next to where the bus stops at the "Dranpan". don't worry about the bedding, and you don't need to bring much with you.
                Last edited by Hei Hu; 08-21-2003, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the directions to Dengfeng! Would you tell me what the "Dranpan" is so I
                  have a visual location to go by.
                  Now comes the part of putting things in storage, and gearing up to go. Since I do not need to worrry about bedding then my guess is, all I need will easily fit in a backpack. And I can always get things there if I find myself lacking. How is the coffee situation? Should I plan on giving it up for awhile or is it available?
                  Hei Hu, how long are you going to be in China this time around?
                  Many blessings.
                  Missa

Comment

As I´m planing to go to DengFeng in Mars I have alot of questions ofcourse. I get alot of answers from this forum whithout having to ask them myself. But in this moment I do have one question, not an important one that the answer to can change my mind of going to China but anyway... When study in the schools do you wear the traditional orange shaolin outfit? Doesen´t really matters but it would defentely be a big plus.

take care and do the Kung Fu

Comment

elbien...
                      you should take a look at the video section, take note of the class segments. I think each school has it's own "uniform." All of that should be readily available right in Dengfeng.
                      practice wu de

Comment

The "Dranpan" means roundabout in English. It's a very tall monument in the middle of the road that the traffic revolves around. It looks like a silver version of the Washington monument. Just say Dranpan to any taxi driver in Denfeng, and they'll know where it is. I have 2 months free time to train, but it looks as though my master and instructors are staying here for at least 3 more weeks, working on some possibilities with Yanzi. So I will base my decision to go back to China, on their departure time. It doesn't make sense for me to go there, when my instructors are here right now. As far as coffe goes, I wouldn't know. I'm a tea drinker. If it's that important to you, then by all means, bring it with you, just to be safe. It's not easy to get good western products in Dengfang.
                        Elbien......Why are orange robes so important to you? Will they make your Gong Fu better? You can wear whatever you like, oranges included, and as Stylee said.... You can buy it all in Dengfeng.
                        Last edited by Hei Hu; 08-25-2003, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Coffee is not readily available in the restaurants of Dengfeng, though, since it is available in Beijing, you might, might be able to find it in some of the larger supermarkets. Though, I've never seen it, nor looked for it.

Training in orange robes usually doesn't happen, unless it's like Heng Jun's old school that was primarily for foreigners. His little temple outside of Shaolin was fairly nice, and all foreigners that went there not only got orange robes, but monk names, and were told that they were monks. Well, that's nice. A little demeaning to the true order, but a nice commercial approach. That temple area is gone now, and, interestingly enough, Heng Jun's domestic school wears military fatigues (and is run in a military fashion).

Most schools train in sweats, usually of colors significant to the school.

Usually blue (or red) and white.

Wear what's comfortable. And appropriate for the weather situation.

russbo.com

Comment

Doc & Hei Hu

Well, I have been packing and packing. Got more to do still but on the downhill slope. I am now only waiting on my Visa and then I will get my airline ticket. Since I am taking a bus from Beijing to Zheng Zhou how much should I expect to pay for the sleeper car and then the train to Deng Feng? As a matter of fact what do you think would be a good amount of money to have on me. I know that it is going to cost 5000 Yeon, which is $625.00 in American currency for my 6 month stay. And since currency exchange is 8 to 1 my guess is that I could easily get along well on $100.00 american money. That should include food and easily pay for weapons as well. But considering I will want to ship things back to the states I may take a little more. I was recently told not to worry about bringing to many clothes because I can buy them easily enough and very cheap while there? It was also suggested to take both chinese and american currency, what do you think? I just do not know about the size regarding clothes. I am almost 6' tall and I guess as a woman that may make finding clothes a bit different. I am trying to get an idea of how much to take for a 6 month stay. And then if I need money wired or sent how do you suggest the best way is to go about it?

Missa

Comment

The "soft sleeper" train to Zengzhou will cost you about forty bucks, and will go overnight. The bus should be about thirty. Cab fare from Zengzhou to Dengfeng will cost you about 250 Yuan, about thirty bucks. If you bring the address of YanZhang's school with you in Chinese, you can just hand it to the cab driver (I have the address, but I can't scan it into a jpeg now, I'm still in Asia).

Make sure that you bring an ATM card with you, one with the PLUS symbol on the back. It will work in the Bank of China ATM, in the heart of Dengfeng. If you think you can get along with one hundred dollars US for six months, you're in for one hell of a surprise. You already spent over one hundred dollars just getting to Dengfeng (figure twenty bucks cab fare from Beijing airport to Beijing train station, if you get in a real cab). Food and water should cost you a few dollars a day. Weapons can easily cost you ten, twenty, or thirty bucks a piece, depending upon what you buy and where you buy them. (Some weapons that I'm getting for the school are well over one hundred, but, they're "real"). One hundred dollars is not going to do it. Don't go to the middle of nowhere with no options. Make sure that you have cash, and, accces to cash. It's the only thing that will get you out of there.

russbo.com

Comment

Missa,

doc is absolutely correct. Add a zero, and like he said, makes sure on the ATM, so you have it available when needed.

Uwe

Comment

Working...
                                X