This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shi De Cheng Wushu Guan

Shi De Cheng has expanded his wushu guan to include the building next door. You can see the courtyard in the overview video in the File Library.

Included in the new building is foreigner's quarters (each gets his own room), a hot shower, and a western toilet.

Not exactly a toilet that you'd want to bring reading material to...

FEE UPDATE March 2006:

2006 revised rates for Shi De cheng's school.

Prices are per person per day, in US dollars.

Live at school (includes housing, food, training)

1-2 people: <30 days 35
    <60 days 30
    >60 days 26

3-5 people: <30 days 30
    <60 days 26
    >60 days 23

6-10 people:<30 days 26
    <60 days 23
    >60 days 20

Live at hotel (includes hotel, school food, training)

1-5 people: <30 days 50
    <60 days 45
    >60 days 40

6-10 people:<30 days 45
    <60 days 40
    >60 days 35

>10 people: <30 days 40
    <60 days 35
    >60 days 30

Touring
    Shaolin Temple, each trip 100 Yuan per person
    Da Fa Wen Si, each trip, 45 Yuan per person

Pickup and Travel
    Zhengzhou to Dengfeng, each way, per person 300 Yuan

Mandarin Chinese lessons
    Each person, per hour, 20 Yuan

Fees should be paid directly to Shi De Cheng's school, in cash, upon arrival. No monies should be sent to russbo.com or any of its representatives. We provide this information as a public service, and are not responsible for any changes that we are not made aware of.

Pick up can be arranged in Beijing, with assistance to guide you to Zhengzhou, via associates of mine. Again, donations and or fees should be paid directly to my associates in Beijing.

People needing assistance with travel plans, and any other issues, should register as an Elite member in the Forum / Library. We will provide assistance to you as much as possible.

UPDATE 12/06: His newly revised English website can be found here: http://www.sdcshaolin-kungfu.com/

UPDATE 1/08:
    The typical training day

Well, some of that depends upon you. But usually, there are two two hour training periods, either with or without Decheng. The hours tend to be from 9 to 11, and then from 3 to 5.

The domestic students will get up somewhere after five in the morning, and perform a morning run. You can feel free to join them, or as I did in the past, do your own. Breakfast follows that, and then, the AM class as described above.

Lunch follows AM class, along with rest time. I used to add an additional class with Decheng during this time.

PM class starts at 3, ends at 5 or so, followed by dinner and rest.

Some students would then train on their own in the evening hours.

People usually went to bed around 9 or 10. There's not much to do in Dengfeng at night.

doc

FEE UPDATE January 2010: see page seven of this thread or below

Songshan Shaolin Wushu release Tak-sing
    Foreign students fee schedule

School
    (Accommodation, learning) Unit: USD
    One day 1 --- 10 days 11 --- 30 days 30 --- 60 days
    1-5 people 57 U.S. dollars 50 U.S. dollars 43 U.S. dollars
    6-10 people 50 U.S. dollars 43 U.S. dollars 36U.S. dollars

Hotels (accommodation, learning) Unit: USD
    Person days 1 ---- 10 days 11 ---- 30 days 30 --- 60 days
    1 --- 5 86 U.S. dollars 79 U.S. dollars 72 U.S. dollars
    6 --- 10 79 U.S. dollars 72 U.S. dollars 65 U.S. dollars
    11 or more 72 U.S. dollars 65 U.S. dollars 57 U.S. dollars

Note: perennial learner, school fees, 7900 U.S. dollars;
    (B) Zhengzhou pick their own expense;
    (C) Travel expenses from their own;
    (D) 20 dollars an hour to learn Chinese.

Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

okay, i'm back in comfy japan from my big trip to china. well, it was only two weeks, but it was my first time there, so it was big enough. so here's my quick and dirty report on shi decheng's school. doc, if you want, i can write up a full report on the entire experience and post it soon.

my trip was short and cheap, but tiresome and not for everyone. but training with shi decheng really made my trip special. but to preface all of this, i had the opportunity to train with decheng privately and semi-privately throughout throughout my entire stay. there was only one time when i was handed to one of his coaches (who, by the way, was amply qualified to teach and train). anyways, i'm not so sure this is the deal all of the time, but be rest assured you'll be treated well at his school. decheng and his school will not waste your time.

the training: i think that when a foriegner shows up, decheng pretty much assumes that you want to learn traditional gongfu. however, he also is pretty handy with taiji and there was one lady training exclusively in taiji (she was learning the chen style 38 step form). his business card also mentions that his school teaches qinna, wrestling, etc. so i imagine that if you have a special request decheng would at least think about it. but his real specialty is traditional forms. if you want to train in modern wushu, i would not recommend decheng's school, or any in dengfeng. geez, go to beijing for that you bozo. if you want to train in traditional gongfu with a devoted attention to basics, then shi decheng is the man to go to. his skill is amazing; once in a while he'll show an application to a move and you'll realize that his speed and strength is far beyond what he appears to be capable. his ability to teach is where he really shines, though. he's patient, understanding, encouraging, watchful, thurough....pretty much everything you'd expect from a good teacher. i was very surprised at my progress. i've never been good at jump kicks or those foot sweeps close to the ground, and by the end of those two weeks i was actually somewhat comfortable with them. as for what exactly i learned, in two weeks i learned the jibengong (the basics), tongbeiquan (a fairly short taolu), and ingshougun (a basic staff routine). to be honest, i could've spent my two weeks just training jibengong and i would've been satisfied. and i was only expecting to learn one taolu. learning ingshougun was icing on the cake. however, if you go, don't expect to learn what i learn. you might just learn the jibengong, you might learn a lot more than me, or you might learn totally different forms than me. but again, be rest assured that decheng will give you as much as you can handle. it will be a year before i can return, and believe me, i'm gonna need all of it to practice what i've learned. as for the amount of training, i got in four hours of actual class time a day, much of it with decheng teaching and watching over me. i also spent some time on my own practicing or jogging around town.

the facilities: well, there are no real training facilities per se. we did most of our training in a park or in front of the school. when it rains, well, either you brave the rain (which is foolish) or you find a pavilion to train under. there's also the room in the foriegner dorm that's big enough for a person to train in (but not five, which was my case). and if you're expecting that training in china will be this quiet, peacful experience, well, you should get that notion out of your head quickly. music is everywhere (even f'ing horrible russian dance music was blaring at the pagoda forest). at the park, chinse locals and tourists will stop and look...for hours. it wasn't so bad the first few days, but after that it gets pretty annoying. and it got downright ugly when one man demanded i do something other than tongbeiquan or ingshougun. but you know what? there's bigger things to complain about, like toilets or food. and besides, you're learning from the best, so you should be able to stand little things like this. anyways, if you looking for a school with complete indoor facilities, buffet style dinners, and air conditioning, then go someplace else...pansy. haha.

the cost: since i'm a pansy (and there was no room at the school), decheng hooked me up with a deal at the fenguan hotel. a room there now costs about US$50 a night, but if you work connections, you can get a room there for significantly less. the cheapest solution is just to stay at decheng's school, just let his school know you're coming. the cost of training....talk to doc about this, he's the man to talk to. i have no idea what he normally charges students, i have no idea what the quoted price is. if you want to know, contact the school. i think each circumstance is a little different. what i was charged was exactly what i felt the training was worth (and no, there's no hidden meaning in this sentence), so, all i can really say is that you'll get your money's worth, and that it'll make paying for training in the US seem like a joke.

the verdict: this is a good, honest school from my short experience. you'll train hard, learn good traditional gongfu, and be among very friendly people. two weeks training with decheng in my opinion, though, was much too short. this statement should be taken as a good indication! i've been doing martial arts for 17 years now, so i've had the chance to see some good schools (and a lot of bad ones). training at decheng's is one of the best experiences i've had; i highly recommend his school.

yeah, and the western toilet....i don't you could read in there anyways, the light didn't work when i was there...hehe.
    -Jesse Pasleytm
    "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Jesse, glad you made it back safely. It was a pleasure meeting you. The girlfriends at the You Yi restaurant have been asking about you, lol... You will most definitely have to come back to please them, god knows I can't take care of them all by myself.

Feel free to write about your experiences when you have time. Remember, massage hall stories stay in the massage hall, lol. Oh, and I fixed the Xingwei/Decheng thing. God, that certainly did take some time and finesse.

Scott and his gang leave in two days, Justin and I leave shortly thereafter. What a trip.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Hmm

So Doc, what's this about Xing Wei Decheng thing?

Comment

Oh, do I really have to get into this, lol?

Monks. Geez.

russbo.com

Comment

Oh yes you do...

When you're not swamped...

Comment

Why don't you check out the other posts he made about it, or the news page?
              practice wu de

Comment

jesse

Jesse, did the ying shou gun you learned differ from the one in the video library? My Ying Shou Gun ive learned differs from it, it feels like the on on the forum has been remade a little to look faster and less repetetive althugh its almos the same.

Comment

The Yin Shou Gun in the video library is, if I remember correctly (yea, right...), performed by one of the coaches I know. A coach much younger than DeCheng, and not taught by him. Therefore, it might be a little more "wushu oriented", and sped up a bit by dropping a move or two here or there. It essentially is the same form.

Excellent pick up though. Very demonstrative of what's occurring to traditional gong fu these days.

russbo.com

Comment

yeah, the yinshougun on the video does indeed have some movements that are either simplified or removed, but it is basically the same form. there's way more of a wushu aesthetic in the video, which i suppose is fine by me, its just some of the more beautiful (and more difficult) movements have clearly been smoothed over. where he does the back kick was taught to me as first crouching and guarding and then springing up into the kick. there's also the two sliding foot attacks towards the end. in the video, he jumps into gongbu, while i was taught to jump into pubu from pubu....a little more difficult!

but details like this are kind of silly when training with decheng. everytime you think you have something down he'll give a new detail, either something you hadn't noticed before or wasn't taught simply because somethings are a little overwhelming at times....the learning never stops.

sunbird....where do train?
                    -Jesse Pasleytm
                    "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Hehe okey seems like mine differs a little from yours too haha, in my theres no jumping from pu bu to pu bu =). But the crouchguard backkick thingy is in mine too. Ive learned ying shou gun from Shi Yan Seng (first non chinese to become monk) and a little from his master Shi Yong Ting. But im only a beginner hehe, altought ive had time to learn xia hong chuan, wu bu chuan, ying shou gun, tong bei chuan. My school is in sweden, theres one seperate monk traning in gothenburg, then theres our club in stockholm.

Comment

Costs of Shi De Cheng wushu guan

Shi De Cheng's school charges 25 USD per day which includes training, food, and residence at the school. Accomodations are not all that bad, but, you can also stay at a local hotel, for more money. Depending upon the hotel, you can spend anywhere from 20 to 40 USD a day. Let Decheng arrange the hotel for you, he can get the "doc rate" at the FengYuan, which is a three star hotel. You'll do worse if you try to arrange it for yourself.

For longer training periods, such as two weeks, or a month, or a year, that's all completely negotiable. It gets cheaper than 25 USD a day the longer that you stay. He has no set prices for longer periods of time. This is something that needs to be discussed with him upon your arrival. Also, I don't recommend anyone "decide" to spend an entire year there. Take it one week at a time, get a feel for the place, and decide as you go. Living there is not as bad as it used to be, but, it still is far from life in the western hemisphere.

russbo.com

Comment

cost for a long period

Hi doc, I ve read your site all day since it was 2 until now (it is 8). Just a short resume of myself. I began to be intesest in martial art a few years ago years, then I began shaolin kung fu. I began readings tonnes of books text... of shaolin, and then just like anyone my master talk to me about it...
                          I first though going at shaolin was impossible since I ve read in a magasine that one year is 25 thousand dollar. Then I saw on tv a French guy which has gone their, his name his Andreas Bascow or something likle this. At this moment at knew my futur was at shaolin.
                          Then I discover the shaolin temple secular disciple's union. At this moment I was really realy happy because the cost was not so high and according to what they said and what I saw on picture it seems qiet good. I talk a lot with student of their, and In was ready to go their but... knowing russbo.com is well informed I send a mail to ask about it... and I had a really really bad new, it was a few days ago, and since this moment, I passed my day and my night looking after another school, looking especially for shi de cheng's and shi de qian's school. The best place I found was shi de cheng's, and believe me I really look after a good school. The only criter I absolutly want is a high quality train.
                          For this I am pretty sure that shi de cheng's is what I look for. I still have problem about it, the cost of it. You can ask the shaolin temple's secular student, I am really someone who wantr to stay long and train hard. Please doc help me to go there, even only by telling me info on it. For exmple I know you allready tell it but in usd, what is the price in dollar.
                          Omitofu
                          martial way is mine, death one is yours
                          call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

USD = United States Dollar

As you are from Belgium you might be interested in converting USD in Euro, so today’s mid market rate is at
                            1 Euro to 1.08 USD.

Hope this helps.

Cheye
                            Don’t take life too serious, as you won’t get out of it alive anyway.

Comment

oh that's it

Oh that's it. Good news, every things on here is in usd and I was afraid to have to convert them. Thanks
                              martial way is mine, death one is yours
                              call me last bodyguard of the lohan chuan, call me the one who will bring wu de to occident, call me, the one

Comment

Working...
                              X