This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey doc and everybody else!

I said I'd keep in touch with you (doc) before I went to China, and since I'm at the Shi De Cheng Wushu Guan right now, I thought I might as well say hello here in the Shi De Cheng Wushu Guan thread. I've been in China for about five months now, and it's definitely been a great experience in many ways. I'm free from school for a couple of months because of the spring festival, so me and a french friend decided to go to Shaolin for a month. I have really missed Shaolin wushu training - I train mostly changquan and other modern styles at the school in Beijing. At first I was planning to go to the Wushu Guan in Shaolin, but, as I'm sure many of you already know, they're rebuilding the Wushu Hotel so it's impossible for foreigners to stay there right now. Shi Xing Xue, my teacher in Sweden, happened to be in China just before the time of my arrival in Shaolin, so he arranged for me to stay at the Shi De Cheng Wushu Guan.

My first impression was that it was cold as hell, dirty and that the food was horrible. But I've been here for a couple of weeks now, and I'm getting used to it - in fact think I'm beginning to like it here. Training is good, it's a nice little school (even though the living is not as nice as in Beijing) with friendly people and the clean air and mountain surroundings is a very nice change from the always so polluted Beijing. Shi De Cheng is, as I'm also sure most of you already know, not here (you're causing a lot of frustration over here by keeping him in America for such a long time, doc - another french friend who's been living here for a long time misses his shifu and is considering a change of school because he never gets to see him!) and I train with one of the other coaches at the school, Chen Lili. When I first came here we decided that I'd revise my ji ben gong and xiao hong quan while my friench friend who's new to Shaolin wushu would learn it, and learn two new forms - mei hua dao and yin shou gun. Nice for a month, I think. The main problem has been that we often have no water, for some reason I've never understood, but we have drinking water in our rooms that we've used instead so it's only a problem if you really, really'd need to take a shower or something. Or if all the water mystically disappears from the fish pond, so that the fish are dying, which once happened (but they miraculously survived!). I paid 2500 yuan for my month, but I think Shi Xing Xue got the price down a lot since he is a friend of Shi De Cheng's.

Sometimes I write internet diary, in Swedish though, but if any of you would happen to understand Swedish, you can find my website at http://hannes.rebas.se. You can say hello to Shi De Cheng from me (don't think he knows my name, but I'm the Swedish guy who stays at the school and he said he'd visit me later in Beijing) and tell him that Gerald, the french guy here at the school, really wants to see him soon!

Comment

Well, I have no control over Decheng's desires. But, he is having a great time here, and he has extended his stay. He will be returning, at least from what he last told me, to China sometime in March, to prepare for his trip to France and Italy in April and May. From there on, who knows. He wants me to returm with him to China in March; I'm not sure I'm up for a trip yet though.

As for the water, if the precipitation is low this year, then the reservoir goes down, and the water stops. I've been there in the summer, a year or two ago, when this happened. It also happened in 95 on my first visit. You learn to wash out of little drinking bottles. And you always wondered why I started shaving my head....

Make sure that you go to the Feng Yuan hair (massage) parlor and say hi to the FLW's for me. No doubt they miss me. Also, I've got a honey at the big Chinese restaurant on the main drag; the English teacher at Decheng's school knows where it is, and who she is. Hand's off man, just say hi. Don't want to make the big bald guy get on a plane now, do we...

On a warm day, try hiking up TaiShi Shan. Great hike, nice mountain. Hi to the gang.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

The french guy still thinks you're the one to blame, and he says he'll kick your ass if you come here in March. But I wouldn't worry, you should be about twice as big as him.

I went to Feng Yuan today with a new guy who's also staying at Shi De Cheng Wushu Guan for visiting his friends, and I thought I could check the hair/massage parlor out, but they were pretty rude and they wanted 100 kuai for a massage (it costs 20 at the hospital). So I left. And I haven't been to the restaurant yet. As for Taishishan, Lili, my teacher, took me there one of the first days. Really beautiful. I sometimes go running in the stairs in the lower parts in the mornings.

Comment

Hmmm.

You have to go to that restaurant and find my little honey. She's the one with the short hair and the great smile. And, as for the FLW's in the FYMP, that's the going rate. There's a couple of cuties in their sometimes too. If there's one with really long hair, stay away, she's mine too. Don't tell her I'm coming back though, as I might be bringing a cuter one from Beijing with me. Hate when they all get together in the same damn room. I'll have to tell you THAT story one day.

As for the French guy, he might want to review his French military history before he starts another little battle. I have it somewhere here on the site.

Decheng shoud be back there sometime in the beginning of the second week of March. I bought his ticket last week. But he'll be traveling back and forth to Beijing, to prepare for his trip to France and Italy.

French guy is not going to be too happy. Well, you know what they say.

C'est la vie.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

What's FLW short for? I ate lunch at Feng Yuan today. Asked the girl at the hairdresser's if she knew a big, bald American who often came there, but she didn't. Maybe my description wasn't good enough. I'll see about the restaurant, haha.

Comment

I haven't eaten in the restaurant in a long time. I prefer the restaurants outside. They had new girls there, the last time I went. They don't know me in the restaurant.

They most likely will in the massage/beauty parlor though.

And as for FLW's, well, feel the force man. You'll eventually figure it out.

Hugs and kisses to my FLW's in the FYMP.

russbo.com

Comment

Hey doc i was looking at one of the videos of shi de cheng wushu guan, the group fight, and i thought that those kind of forms were only done in modern day wushu not traditional gung fu.

Comment

Not sure what video you looked at (there are well over one hundred videos, with more to come). There's lots of information about "wushu vs traditional" on the site, in the archive, and on this forum. You'll eventually learn that there isn't much difference...

russbo.com

Comment

good news for our Belgian friends 10% discount. Actually EORU is now about $1.20 vs the previous 1.09. Better for our European friends using EURO to pay..
                    Nothing is more frightening than ignorance in action - Goethe

Comment

Fee update March 2006 for Shi De Cheng's school.

Please see first post of this thread.

russbo.com

Comment

Update: Shi De Cheng's new website can be found here: http://www.sdcshaolin-kungfu.com/

russbo.com

Comment

Hello and good day!Could someone please help me out and tell me the tuition to study here for one year and what is included.How is the shower situation,hot,warm or cold?Can u take a shower once a day?
                          Thank you!

Comment

You can take a shower all day. He has a new building for the foreign students, just moved into last week. I saw it two days ago, it's very nice, with plenty of room for indoor training. Five floors, with nearby park for outdoor training. No backyard like the old place, but, who needs that. Overall impression, I'd stay there.

More details to follow, once I get off this damn hotel computer connection, and get back on my laptop.

russbo.com

Comment

You'd stay there Doc?

Now that's saying something... must be good!

Chicken

Comment

wow!sounds so nice.now if i can get some prices on the tuition that would be awesome.i am looking for a year stay sometime in the next 6 months if you would be so kind as to help out.thx good day!oh and the showers,i hate cold showers are they warm/hot if not i woould be able to deal with it.shit one more thingdoes the school have heat for winter.thx again

Comment

Working...
                                X