Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

found the video

Hey guys I found the video on Youtube searching Tongbei 1 3

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This has made it a lot clearer to me

I had never heard this form to be 3 roads and that's where the confusion came from. I had only learned 2 of 3 roads.

I compared the form in Tagou book with the video and saw that in the Tagou handbook only road 1 and 2 make up the form, while in Shi De Qian version the third road is included as well.

There are minor variations between the two but De Qian shows the complete thing so I'm guessing his version to be more accurate, since it also seems to fit with Shi De Yang performance on youtube. Even though near the end there's a cut that confused me a little.

Comment

Thanks a lot Furious J

Comment

generally, only the tongbeiquan form we usually see is the only one taught or known. hence the reason we only know it as tongbeiquan.

but as i have learned, this refers to the style rather than the form. it is indeed datongbeiquan. then there is the xiaotongbeiquan forms that are 3 in number. similar to the dahongquan of three roads yet still one form.

but since it is of one style we may say hongquan or tongbeiquan as the style. but not specifically the form. xiaohongquan or dahongquan, or datongbeiquan or xiaotongbeiquan.

in fact, you'll come across this more often in shaolin. with styles such as paoquan. there is the form we usually know of called paoquan which is in fact dapaoquan.

there is almost a da and xiao for everything.

Comment

Yeah, I realized what happened after I read Carona's reply. I just repeated the http twice on the link. www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtS5aZUgzfA

I think the Shaolin forms have the same themes for the xiao and da versions. It seems the same philosophy behind Chen small frame and large frame Tai Ji.

So is the Xiao Tong Bei form presented in De Qian's encyclopedia as one form, or is it separated into 3 parts? I really want a copy of his encyclopedias, but I can't read enough characters to make it worth the money.

Comment

HTML Code:
            I think the Shaolin forms have the same themes for the xiao and da versions. It seems the same philosophy behind Chen small frame and large frame Tai Ji.
            Could you explain please? Because I'm not quite sure what you want to say by that but I think I am not going to agree.

HTML Code:
             So is the Xiao Tong Bei form presented in De Qian's encyclopedia as one form, or is it separated into 3 parts?
            In the list of moves there are 3 groups of movements. 1-23, 24-40 and 40-61, but the pictures of the form show a continuous form and not three separate parts. after move 23 and 40 there are no closing moves. And for example the three roads of Da Hong are presented as seperated roads with closing moves and each has it explanation, but the xiao Tongbei is not presented in that way. It looks like it`s supposed to be performed continuous and forms one form only.

Comment

I can you didn't know, Shi De Gian just released a THIRD version of the Shaolin Encyclopedia, he condensed everything into two fat volumes AND he replaced 80% of all the drawings in the forms with PHOTOS, clear and crisp photos.

One volume is empty hand forms, the other is nei gong and weapons.

History, medicine, etc is included in the text.

If you don't know how to read chinese characters, the photos and line marking for their movements are clear enough for you to use the book as a memory jogger for forms you already know and you can learn new forms on a rudimentary level til you get a instructor to show you exact details.

I think it is worth the money.

I have all 3 versions:
              the oldest 3 volume set
              the full expanded 4 volume set
              and the new 2 volume set with photos.

Comment

Working...
              X