Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forms / Taolu

hey,

I'm looking for more info about the origin / development of forms . Were they really important to prepare a soldier/monk for war/fight. I like to hear something else than...good to make body fast,strong,etc... I'm looking morefor the martial way behind the forms, not the spiritual thing..
    Thxs!

What? You mean forms in general? It would depend of what kind of form you're talking about when you wanna talk about applications.

In that sense, forms are basically shadow boxing.
    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I want to try and bring this thread alive again. I'm curious about the same thing...

I read somewhere once that taolu were first created by a master of a style as a way to pass on his applications. He took every application he knew, connected them in some way, shape, or form and, "Boom", you have taolu. So the first time a master had done this, his style only had one or two taolu. The pattern grew from school to school and became the institution.

I don't know if there's any truth in this, I just remember reading it somewhere. That's why some styles still only have a few forms.

Any thruth to this ? DOes anyone know ? Know wnywhere to find info on the history of the use and creation of taolu ????????
      "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Yeah thats how they used to do it.
        You can still see that the styles that are more combat-orientated today have less forms compared to the ones that moved more into the performance/show genre.

If you would like to read some real interesting articles about form "evolution" and application, look at the website of Patrick McCarthy.
        http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/

His main research is on okinawan karate forms, but as you know almost all of these originated on the Chinese mainland.

He also did a lot of research on Monk Fist(Shaolin) gongfu, and is the translator of a chinese book called the Bubishi (Japanese name). Its a book on shaolin gongfu and white crane that surfaced in okinawa but its origins have gone lost.

I`m very curious if anyone of you knows this book and if you can still link it back to what is tought today at shaolin.

Comment

ow , and since its not a very clear layout , check out:

"HAPV-theory and 2-person drill"
          "Thinking outside the box"

Comment

Working...
          X