X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tong bei

tong: through
    bei: back

power generation starts at the feet, moves up the body, through your spine, over the shoulders and out through the arms. to develop this takes time and practice. the idea is the send power through your entire body and let it out...i guess the best thing to compare it to is like turning your body into a whip. the whole body is utilized and the energy goes out through a particular outlet.

this, of course, is just what i have understood the practice to be. my teacher has demonstrated this for us a couple of times, its pretty awesome, and a good example of what the meaning of "gong fu" is as far as a particular one of many skills that one must practice in martial arts to seperate him from other fighters.

ive also heard of other systems entirely devoted to this concept, and you see it also practiced in weapon techniques, of which i have only been exposed to with a staff.

Comment

actually this is also the form which i have most recently put on my to-do list as far as learning.

Comment

doc, i have a question about Da Lohan. are the references of Xiao/Da made to distinguish between the size of the forms? or the structure of the techniques?

Comment

As to Xiao and Da referring to the size, I don't know. Xiao Lohan is a smaller (in step number) form than Da Lohan, as Xiao Hong Chuan is a smaller form than Da Hong Chuan. But I don't know if that's the reason why they are named that way.

Xiao Lohan has sixty or seventy steps, Da Lohan has 108.
          Xiao Hong Chuan also has sixty to seventy steps, one Da Hong Chuan has around 200.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Hi everybody...

Wubu quan is not a shaolin form,it is one of the basic forms of wushu.And I always come to the uk shaolin temple,and I have learned the shaolin wubu quan.But the real shaolin basic form is xiao hong chuan,well I have trained with a lot of masters that tought me shaolin xiaohong chuan,but you have to choose the right form.Because every master has a different way and style.So wooden dummy,are you training in the uk shaolin temple?I go there 3 times a week.

Comment

Wubu Chuan is a very short basic set of movements to help teach some of the basic gong fu stances.
              Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
              russbo.com

Comment

Yes, so it doesn't matter if it is a traditional or modern form. I wouldn't even call it a form. I have made up little drills moving from on stance to another. Going through all the basic stances and body turns. Doesn't make it a real form but that doesn't matter. It helps new students get used to moving their body in a Gong Fu way. Traditional or Modern? Who cares? I could make one. Start stepping out to Ma Bu, Gong Bu, Xu Bu, Du Li Bu, Xie Bu, Pu Bu. Start again on the other side. Add some basic hand movements. Is that a traditional form? No I just made it up. But it will help a beginner with stances and basic body motion. So it's not important as long as it helps. Normally after Wu Bu Quan, you will learn Xiao Hong Quan. The first basic form. But Wu Bu Quan gets you used to stances and movements before you go and start a longer form like Xiao Hong Quan.

A mi tuo Fo
                -Xing Jian

Comment

Working...
                X