No announcement yet.

Touchdown Shi De Cheng Wushu Guan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Josh, do u mean when u came to shaolin u didnt have a plan to end as fast as possible the suffering of every beings such as animals and ghosts?

Are u looking for a plan now?

Maybe u can ask around u... At least it may give some insights to a few people and send us quickly on the road to heaven. I guess Shaolin should have a clear plan...

Peace and love

Comment

Originally posted by liutangsanzang View Post
      Well i think the chinese driving is really insane and shows how unmeditated is the precept of not killing, bu sha sheng. But i guess most chinese are like animals, fed on animals and probably coming from and going to animal reincarnation so u cannot expect them understand that.
      is this guy serious?

Comment

You're going to eventually reach the comical realization that he is. With any luck, maybe he will too.

Comment

It's been a busy week in the world of Shaolin in downtown Dengfeng. Finally made the pilgrimage to the Temple which was a mix of emotions. On the one hand the Shaolin grounds and the surrounding mountainside are stunningly beautiful, different to the mountains here in Dengfeng, much more vegetation. On the other is the gaudy, tourist element that permeates every inch of the temple itself and much of the other areas that are immediately around it. Hawkers are everywhere flogging prayer beads, nanchaku, monk figurines, anything remotely related (and some not related: katanas?) to Shaolin's history. One thing that was truly bizarre was the appearance of a giant camel, you can get your picture on it for 10 RMB; surprisingly it was moderately popular, though totally irrelevant, unless Doc I'm unaware of the significance of Shaolin camels. Seeing the temple was the realisation of the saving and dreaming about journeying here, though other than posing on the steps of the gate, the temple, albeit beautiful, isn't any more impressive than some of the other temples in the area. Really what was the highlight of the day was exploring (briefly, I had unenthusiastic trekkers with me) the mountains; I plan to go back in a week or two and hike up to the rope bridge and see the Damo cave which I also missed. Though at 100RMB a ticket it's not the cheapest attraction going around but is well worth the trip. It's a shame DeCheng's school isn't located in Shaolin village anymore, even amongst all the Shaolin paraphenalia it's stilll very tranquil; though saying that, I had to laugh as I cable-car'd up the mountain with the 'amitofou' incessently chanted over the loudspeakers.

Also on Tuesday and Wednesday the kung fu schools competed against one another at one of the school grounds, it was pleasing to see DeCheng's students take out only first's and second's, few students from other schools were as polished as ours. Over the two days there was constant entertainment performed in two different areas, one, with a leitai solely dedicated to Sanda and the other for kung fu and wushu routines. As I said, the kids set the standard and I wasn't blown away with the quality of many of the schools, maybe my expectations are too high. There were some foreigners there from their respective schools, I met two from DeYang's who were nice, they said De Yang was currently away in France and of the six months one had been staying there, he had trained with De Yang twice.

Busy perfecting my cudgel technique which is coming along nicely, my Ji Ben Gong still needs a bit of work. I'm having a great time, love the school and the kids, it's just finding the time to answer all my emails and let you know how it's going. Take care, Josh

Comment

I thought the camel was dead. They probably found another one. You find those creatures on the Great Wall also.

Shaolin is nice, but Da Fa Wen Si, just up the road from Dengfeng, is spectacular. Make sure you get up there before you leave.

Damo's cave is nothing to get excited about, but it's a nice hike. Used to do it on a daily basis during lunch for fitness. Also, it is no where near the "rope bridge"; that is another direction, and that hike is spectacular. I mention it as the Chinese Stairmaster in the site. Before the days of the cable car, we used to walk from the bottom, up to the entrance of that park, and then hike up and down the side of the mountains, all the way to the end past the rope bridge, and then back again. Old doc used to do all of that as I remember in three plus hours. No cable car now, all feet. It's also a great hike, make sure you do that. That time was from the wushu guan, to the village / temple in the mountains past the rope bridge, and all the way back to the wushu guan again. Ah, the good old days when I was healthier.

Last thing, climb Taishishan. It's the park right behind Decheng's school; just follow the path and it keeps going up and up... Nice little houses on top, some temples, great view of the smog of Dengfeng.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

Just did Taishi Shan this morning, from Dengfeng to the other side of the mountain was a six hour walk, the scenary is becoming greener as we get further and further into Summer. You hiked up Song Shan in three hours? I don't know how far up the rope bridge is, but the cable car alone is a twelve minute ride, I'll have to try my hand at your record. My lonely planet pegs it at 15km each way.
              I think I know Da Fa Wen Si, is it on the road to the Shaolin Temple just near the military compound? I will add that to the list, these mountains are really something, we only have large hills where I live in Australia, so it's a real treat to explore Song Shan.
              As I walked today there was only a brief period where I was alone and the traffic from the city couldn't be heard, despite the large undertaking of the climb it doesn't deter the Chinese tourists, though the further up you go the less you see. I think I'll go back to Shaolin next week, though it's expensive I can do the hike, that and I'm craving the Damo green tea shake.

Comment

the Damo green tea shake.
                :-) ............
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

i really like how u keep us updated about your trip, i think your the first to do this like this i could be wrong though..

i mean other then doc anyhow. sounds like your having a good time, wish i was there!
                  "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

You really should take a taxi to Da Fa Wen Si. It's towards the Shaolin area from Dechengs, up in the Songshan range. And you MUST see it.

I did the village past the rope bridge and back in something over three hours, many years ago. It's an awesome hike, but prepare for pain. It's not the easiest thing in the world. Did it many, many times, in many different seasons.
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

Josh. Thanks for all the updates on your journey. I hope one day to make a trip there too or possibly to Thailand. Have a great time man.

Comment

Dont loose time please, find absolute non violence for every beings such as animals, ghosts, humans, hell beings...

I need u Josh! Please show me the way...

Comment

Yesterday I got my firsthand experience of the extremes of kung fu training here. Every two hour session is split into two halves, in the first half there is about 10-15 minutes spent solely on stretching. When they pulled out a gymnastics mat, which, in my time here I've not seen used, I was curious and stopped to watch.
                          What followed was an assembly line in order from smallest to tallest of each Chinese student pinned to the mat and had legs stretched at obscene angles. By the third student, amongst the tears of the first two, Kuan Kuan who is maybe 9 or 10 most definitely strained his muscles. He limped and is still limping since it happened and upon my questioning of the older students injuries of this sort are common and are treated as such; without much concern, given a pat on the back and told to get back in line. Though they begrudgingly let him skip the kung fu class that morning.
                          He wasn't taken to the doctor, it was expected he would make a miraculous recovery and I watched the coaches prod him to find out where it hurt, though their obvious medical inexperience didn't do much for either the pain or the injury.
                          Watching this all happen, I didn't feel compelled to step in or question the practices here; I'm sure it will and does happen whether I'm here or not and of course, this is China. Though that didn't stop me bringing him up to my room to implement my limited first aid skills.
                          Unfortunately I didn't ice the area, ice is hard to find anyway, but I used an external pain relief cream called voltaren. For future reference Doc, how should I treat injuries of this sort? I have a mixed bag of first aid medication and external bandages,etc, I am hesitant to give any medication, even paracetamol just in case there is a reaction. I could just see the disaster of me trying to explain that situation to Chinese paramedics.

Always an adventure in Shaolin

Originally posted by liutangsanzang View Post
                          I need u Josh! Please show me the way...
                          If only more women were saying this to me...

Comment

Don't. That's life in China. I told you you would learn a lot there, and not necessarily gong fu....

If only more women were saying this to me...
                            You're not throwing enough dollar bills around!

russbo.com

Comment

never said the chinese knew much about stretching science or being able to either identify or treat sports injuries. they just want everyone to be able to do the splits. so... they make them.

Comment

Here u can find the bagavad gita, the famous text about war and yoga. Damo, bodidhamma, probably studied this text as it is most praised in India, so it might help u get into his mind and the hindu vision of non violence, which is quite unique and beautiful. If u havent read it u will discover a new world of practice and ideas. I think if i want to understand the real Shaolin, i have to understand the indian mind. Isnt Damo said to be born in brhamin family?

Gandhi was quite inspired by this text and a book about his commentary of the gita should be soon released in USA. Check it out if u want to discover a non violent approach to martial art.

Peace and love

Bagavad Gita

Srimad-Bhagavad-Gita, English translation and commentary by Swami Swarupananda, [1909], full text etext at sacred-texts.com

Gandhi commentary on gita

Comment

Working...
                                X