Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building works in Shaolin Temple?

Hey Doc

I was at Shaolin Temple yesterday and there was loads of building going on inside the temple. Any idea what they are doing, is it just restoration or are they adding bits to it?

It was a bit sad to see all the thousands of tourists (including me of course :-) but I guess we all have to make money somehow and I had to see the Temple at least once in my life :-)

snow

Hello Snow,

Almost all of the halls, courtyards and roads will be completely renovated. The 'standing in the snow' pavilion will become a shaolin history musuem..
    All of these works should be completed around october 1th

Comment

They've been renovating and rebuilding for the past year or so. I wrote about the taking apart of Guanyin hall sometime last year. They did a great job of rebuilding that. The last time I was there, last summer, they were rebuilding the bamboo garden area, with all the artwork. I've been told that the highway from Zengzhou to Dengfeng is finally completed (what a nightmare that was, last summer), and that the trip only takes forty five minutes now. And, the village is down.

Should be interesting. Gonna miss the old place.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Hi Doc

yup, the highway from Zengzhou to Dengfeng is completed and as far as I could see there was only one martial arts school near the Temple itself everthing else has gone.

I visited a martial arts school in Dengfeng and saw a demonstration advertised as "Shaolin Kung Fu" but it was WuShu only which I wasn't really interested in so I wandered around the school. It was huge, apparently it has about 8000 students from the age of 4 upwards! From what I could tell the children there lead a very hard life

snow

Comment

sounds like you went to tagou..

Oh, and the school near the temple is usually just reffered to as the wushu guan.
          practice wu de

Comment

S
            lil monk

Comment

oops i messed up but really there are no more shaolin schools next to the the shaolin temple in shaolin village? so are all the other school going to Dengfeng or what? just woundering.
              lil monk

Comment

Read the site. It's all in the site.

Granted, there's a lot to read...
                Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                russbo.com

Comment

Hey Snow did you pic that name from the movie The DULE
                  lil monk

Comment

hey joehaz100

no, I picked the name 'cos I am a snowboarder and mountain freak :-)

what's the movie "The DULE"?

snow

Comment

oh its a movie about this guy named snow and a guy named dragon 9 to find out who is the best swords man in chiinawell look it up it is a really good movie.
                      lil monk

Comment

Working...
                      X