Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firstly, the traditional aspect is relevant because by defining that from the buddhist perspective that ShiYongXin possibly plans to present it from , as opposed to what the mcdojos or non affliated ( as in never were ) schools, it opens a realm of whole new skills that only come from understanding certain concepts contained ( though not neccessarily exclusively) in shaolin buddhism. By this, I mainly refer to internal stuff and forms etc that rely on an understanding of those concepts . I'm sure you'll find beef in that statement , but I'm just going to be thankful that it's someone elses to present.

By highlighting and seperating the differences , it proves that we're dealing with 2 different products to begin with and the folks using the name to imply the same thing being offered , is just not the case. As a result of their use of the term, it confuses ppl with what the product is and takes the market from shaolin under terms of public duress.
    I don't want to get to get too buddhist in my reply here , so I think I'll keep it brief.

As for the wushu / shaolin curriculum , someone already queried what was being taught in terms of gongfu at the temple as a factor in a case of allowing use of the shaolin name elsewhere. That would make it extremely relevant to the case. Alot of the true traditional stuff is not at the temple any more , however that said, their are schools and temples in the US sanctioned by ShiYongXin who are acting on the temples behalf. It's been a loong history battle for shaolin to keep itself alive and I believe that once their are certain measures in place to afford shaolin the protection to come back out of the closet at home with the skills the prc negotiated so sternly to repress as parameter for shaolin to operate at all, down to the inclusion of wushu , that shaolin gongfu will experience a revival of those more traditional forms not so apparent there at present.

What they teach Stylee is the product. I think it has a lot more to do with it than ppl might realise. And those iterations are still shaolin gongfu you think. Just the fact of those 2 terms together implies something a little more..........like affiliations for starters.

As for the Supreme precedences though ... .... ( and don't be affraid to take some lateral thought on it ) how about you tell me???

BL

Comment

It has nothing to do with products, or what is taught.

It is simple.

You have some people in Austria calling themselves the "Shaolin Temple Austria". They have an older revered monk living near them, who "associates" himself with this group in some fashion. Shi Wan Heng, whom I had met years ago, lost with a small battle with Yongxin years ago, when WanHeng told people on some tour that he was the abbot. Yongxin didn't like it, and expelled him from the temple.

This group glorifies an individual with a well discussed Shaolin history, or, lack thereof, depending upon whom you talk to.

So, this group calling themselves the Shaolin Temple of Austria, based upon their association with these two individuals, who themselves have no or limited association with present Shaolin, in a mileau where the name "Shaolin Temple" is no doubt of great concern in China, are, in my opinion, asking for a lot of trouble.

And they supposedly got it. It's going to be interesting.

It's simple. Very simple. If you open up a hamburger joint, and call it McDonald's, and your last name is not McDonald, you're going to pay.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

to further that analogy: Even if your last name IS McDonald, and your hamburgers have identical ingredients, you'll pay. (regardless of whether or not you once worked at a McDs) Historical ownership takes precedence.
        Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Interesting. I remember a lawsuit that McD's had against a guy named McDonald, who had a hamburger shop. I seem to remember, a long time ago, that he got away with it. No doubt McD's must have won on appeal.

In any event, calling yourself a "Shaolin Temple" is just asking for trouble. I never understood the behavior in the first place.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I searched for info about that suit as I remember it too... couldn't find anything but here's a list of things McDonalds is currently or has recently been sued for. Yeah, it's OT, and no, you probably don't need to know this, but here it is anyway.

not hiring an extremely obese guy
            failing to tell people about trans-fat content in food
            french fries not vegetarian
            tough bagel
            hot coffee
            guy gets fat
            woman receives a McBeating from two employees in the McParking lot
            alleged rat head found in happy meal
            actor who plays Ronald McDonald sues for unfair labor practices, refuses to return costume
            Venezuela sues for failure to pay taxes
            Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

Originally posted by doc
              It has nothing to do with products, or what is taught.

Actually in the "Christian sience" case, and the courts closing comments, they did say

"Generic names are regarded by the law as free for all to use. They are in the public domain. ***To grant an exclusive right to one firm of use of the generic name of a product would have to be equivilent to creating a monopoly in that particular product, something that the trademark laws were never intended to accomplish."

I'm still begging to differ there but nicely nueturalized anyway.

The product of shaolin though, as we are all aware , is centred on reliant on principals of buddhism as it's distinguishing aspect. This is what makes it so seperate to Mcjos. It's a complicated argument and not really mine to have .

cheers nonetheless

Comment

Yongxin would probably deem that comment unsuitable for his visions of the new Shaolin Temple, seeing as how he has ignored it.

As for the people that call themselves Shaolin; it's for the attachments that come with it. If you are any sort of Shaolin Temple, people will come to you like you were the original. It was pretty bulletproof, too-- till now. People probably didn't expect the real original (along with a bunch of monks) to come knocking at their temple doors demanding reparations.
                Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Well that's the crux for most of them isn't it. Nicely put .

BL

Comment

LYF, that's why Yongxin is suing. He's got a bunch of people out there who, through their ignorance, appear to be "representing" his organization. I'd be pissed too.

As for the product end of it, if you think that Yongxin is suing over "intellectual property rights", that is, Shaolin gong fu, that would be a really tough one to sue over. I think he'd be wasting his time on that one. The name issue no doubt would be an easy case for him, in my opinion.

Good point on the intellectual property issue though.

russbo.com

Comment

• We're talking about the business of selling gongfu! At the end of the day, intellectual property is all it comes down to......Imho anyway.

BL

Comment

• intellectual property is all it comes down to......Imho anyway.
                        no, it's all in a name....

thats what is protected. If that were the case, you'd have seen a lot more lawsuits in the martial arts over crap like this, especially in lineage battles.
                        practice wu de

Comment

• She's right, but, it's not the issue, even though it is.

Yongxin can't even think about suing over the teaching of Shaolin gong fu; there's too much of it, and it's already been spread throughout the world to some degree, in some fashion. Besids, what's taught in Shaolin has changed significantly over the past ten years already. An intellectual property rights battle with this stuff would be absurd and unwinnable.

But, as I've mentioned before, getting rid of the other schools and turning Shaolin into a foreigner's training paradise, is a mighty righteous economical thing to do. And they're doing it. Yongxin has attempted to open his own versions of Shaolin Temple schools worldwide; in some cases, as with Yanzi in London, he's been successful, in others, a dismal failure. I would think that he has learned something from that.

The gong fu is significant, but it's the name that's important.

russbo.com

Comment

• The gong fu is significant, but it's the name that's important.
                            The gong fu is the product, whether good or not, and may have some underlying issue, but you wouldn't even want to bring it up in one of these cases...
                            practice wu de

Comment

• Is that so Stylee??? Apparently you're not real schooled in neither business nor law.

Product is where the whoe significance of the right to name lays ( in this case ) .

And fyi, you might not want to yourself ( naivety and lack of info noted ) , but I have a funny feeling ShiYongXin and his education may feel differently..........If there's one thing in life he's doing.......it's winning this case.

It's a shaolin thing.don't let it trouble you....he has our backs

Doc: what's been taught at shaolin has changed over the last whole 50 + yrs and you know exactly why that is! I believe I feel where you're at interperatively with what's happening over there and the best plan of attack ( and don't pretend you don't have loyalty there and to that goal ..unless you need the contingency lol......) ........ but that IP right thing is the whole point........... what the heck gonfu ever exists with out it????? Those things they're selling in non-ever -affiliated -to old school shaolin schools and dojos never were and never will be shaolin gongfu. That only comes with the knowledge we all know the pre - mod necc shaolin contingent have ( as in before the new school guanxi inspired necc monks ( and related issue have) and btw : why so many are for te first time getting de-robed) To be frank though Rich, I'm even half embarressed for the rest of them .

( ......"but I am shaolin .......no I've never met a monk or even understand what they're saying
                              about how it works it most of the time ............... and yah ppl come to me and I tell them I can sell them "shaolin gongfu" and I take their money when they wanted the real service I pretend to be ......and the real shaolin don't really talk to me about it after that , but I do.....I do practice shaolin gongfu !!!!!) "

Give me a break okay !!! It's froof and farsical . It takes away business from shaolin and it's not okay to embellish their delusion nor support the upblics confusion on what they're actually buying. Shaolin is sacred and and wuseng right is earnt through a comnbination of things the gongfu ( which wouldn't even exist without the rest) . They might have a self defence system , but shaolin gongfu it's not! It's like buying a sarsparilla and being told it's coke. It's not coke and until you tasted the real thing, you'd never even know . Funny egos they have!!!!

We all know the prc conception and GR story and how it effected shaolins liberation and freedom to do their thing and what they had to repress temporarily just to keep it alive and out of the closet at all. Do you understand the prc wre killing these ppl if they contionued itr's per[etuation in that capacity ???? What a humble sacrifice and commitment imho!!! Yes, it could have even been your xingwei's yangmings and xinghaos and de qians and dechengs and xinglongs etc at any other time had they been there then. This is a very real memory in the history of this. Ppl saw shifu , friends and good men die and some have been walking on extremely brittle ice for many many years to keep it alive and above board. No mucking about. Good men died and you do what you must to bide your time. Don't get carried away with complacencey and USisms. Shaolin is in action to preserve itself! Just because he's not offering it was before their right now, it doesn't mean shaolin doesn't own it ( and exclusively understand it in it's entirity btw ). Internal IP is the real distinguishing factor and considering most "gongfu" practioners can't even deal with the fact of qi at all, higher levels of skill related to the same is ludicrous to believe they have a right to pretend they sell. I don't know what tjhey think thery're selling, but we all know it's mcdojo. Shaolin it's not! Why the crimmeny do you think a discpleship - or robe is so hard to earn.???? They're kidding themselves and stealing our market. According to the courts, the the crux!

I myself have , through a great turn of karma, found 2 greatly awesome WC sigung from different pre-GR systems ( who also btw acknowledge shaolin rooting ) . Old school is old school and the abbott in his wisdom and foresigt has done what he thought necc to ensure shaolins prosterity..even if it is only maintainence to revive later.

Yah the "monks" and true shaolin wuseng ( and even others) have right to do and sell their thing, but shaolin it belongs to and the truly loyal wuseng to wuseng goals and aim , will sacrifice their they're egos on it , or they were never fully their anyway. The big picture is where wuseng is t and for the ones that don'tr support it, IMO they're just not apart of it. ( though fml and gwailo and funnily un-indocrinated ) We just want to see it live another age. If it's not your goal or if you're one of the others .you'll A. be selling as Wc or Xingi or clf or whatever and the name should be of no concern. It was a loaner.

Un-winnable ha??? Well , considering this only a part time conversation for us and the mans whose argument counts in court devotes his entire present life to it, I think I'd prefer to reserve an opinion on that outcome.

cheers folks

BL
                              Last edited by blooming tianshi lotus; 04-09-2005, 05:00 AM.

Comment

• I'm glad you're not an attorney.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X