handstands as a static pose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• handstands as a static pose

lately i have been training with various static positions, im somewhat content with the springiness i developed in my legs, but my upper body is being neglected so i decided to try a new excercise. just do a hand stand against a wall and hold it. you can do straight arms or bended arms. well... i just wanted some input on how effective this might be and maybe some other suggestions. And i must say i am so freakin tired of common excersises. I want some of that good old ancient stuff (much respect) I mean crap... this whole chi experience is new to me and i didnt experience it till i did a bit of stance training. whooda known that i would stumble upon an old chinese karate book by ed parker 5 cents at the library, a godsend answer to my plea for martial knowledge.
    happy times fellow martial arteests.
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

well i don't think doing a handstand against the wall is a very ancient exercise. good old-fashioned push-ups will do more for your arms anyway.

Comment

i beg to differ, ive been doing push ups all my life with okay results. the handstand works muscles in your chest arms and back that pushups cannot isolate
      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

ive seen monks doing this without my essential wall

Comment

well, i did say "for your arms". there are other exercises that will work your chest and back more efficiently, too.

Comment

such as what may i ask zachsan?

Comment

visit a gym. there's tons of equipment that targets the back muscles and the pecs.

expanding and contracting muscles with resistance is a much more efficient way to build raw strength than static poses, because it demands a lot more of the muscles involved.
              Last edited by zachsan; 03-16-2005, 10:36 PM.

Comment

i see. well have you tried any?

Comment

gyms bore me most of the time. ill spend an hour at the most.

Comment

handstands are good bwe excersizes, especailly handstand pushups. You can hold the hand stand in between pushups for a faster fatigue, I guess. It works with regular pushups. I have never really done a handstand since I was a kid.
                    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

As you can guess, I'm not too into static excersises...
                      Try doing handstand pushups....

As far as regular pushups... try doing pyramids

1 pushup 30 seconds rest
                      2 pushups 30 second rest
                      3 pushups 30 second rest... etc...

try to go up to about 8, then back down to one..

if you can do that, try 10 or 12
                      practice wu de

Comment

thats a good one. ill try that. i wonder how one can build his strength so he can hold a static handstand without support. thats some hard shit. those monks are powerful!

Comment

handstand against wall

then

handstand against wall and do a pushup..
                          practice wu de

Comment

Just combine the both and handstand pushups.
                            Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1357
                              gyms bore me most of the time. ill spend an hour at the most.

You usually don't need to much more than that. A good training partner helps too.
                              practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                              X