No announcement yet.

Methods to expanding fighting stamina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting point. This whole concept of physical endurance being limited by some sort of mental blocking "limit". I think I brought this up somewhere in the past, but I can't remember. It was in a thread about fatigue.

I don't think there has been any answers about this issue in modern medicine as of yet, but I'd be interested in learning more about it.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Stance training is fantastic way to train/strengthen muscles, tendons, stamina with in muscles, controling fine motor movements .. circulation etc etc. even training the mind to deal with feelings of discomfort so training mental endurance focus as well (now im beginning to see how it can be a form of meditation)

I'll agree that stance training, ie. moving from stance to stance is a great way to strengthen your legs and increase stamina, I'll warn against thinking that holding static postures will give a lot of strength. With things like this you have to think of Range of Motion. Thats why I'm a firm believer in stance training that is dynamic.

I also agree that stance training, and any hard training is a great mental builder as far as learning to deal with pain and not giving up, but I'll also say that nothing gets you more ready than actually mixing it up and getting hit.

to me there are many types of endurance .. the endurance im looking at is everything flat out
      Well the mental is definitely the big thing, but I guess the aerobic and anaerobic would be huge too, because increasing those, would push the point out a bit at where you mind percieved your exaustion.

but training to this level you have to be careful of burning out ..
      Very true.. You also have to become aware when/if you become complacent at this point.

I think on a level, this is some of where the whole spirituality and the martial arts come together... that point of chan and gung fu as one. The precision, the pushing your limits, I think it all comes in at some point....

good stuff.
      practice wu de

Comment

Is this where meditation comes in? Meditation in performance? .. Mind over coming the physical.. or taking it even further … to dare say “sprit” over coming the mind..

Stepping back from the mind to another place where your sprit is controlling your mind which is controlling the body

Such things like stepping away from the mind. I do not know, but im reaching the stage where im asking questions about what is “the mind” and how you can really “Train it” “control it” let alone spirt controling the mind.

Like doc mentions.

This whole concept of physical endurance being limited by some sort of mental blocking "limit".
        My guess would be that the limits are just “triggers” safe measures to protect the body from harm,

Like a car with a temperature gauge stopping it over heating. I have no idea if they are an intellectual cognitive process or just built in auto responses, that change based on the health of the individual body. ie the fitter you are the more you can do.

But I’m sure they are dynamic, other wise you couldn’t train your body to take more punishment, and become used to it..

all this really boils down to unlocking the secrets of the mind.

im my martial arts style they talk about

training the body
        training the mind
        and training the spirt

looking at them now as im writing them down.. its very like the martial arts process of grading (if you have gradings) or moving on to the next level etc

first you train the body, then in turn train the mind .. then train the spirt?

so if this is true,

you can train the mind to increase your endurance my mentally over coming it.

but to do that .. it comes back to types of meditaion.. mind training? or mind controlling to develop the mental muscle to do it..

somthing to really start to think about.. gulp

the more I learn in martial arts, definitely unveils even more I don’t know..

oh well its a fun path to walk along to see whats round the next corner..
        Do or do not there is no try.

Comment

In my uphill struggle to get back in shape a large part of my training is jogging (and more recently cycling) and I've gone from being able to jog for barely 10 mins before my legs gave out a few months ago to now jogging for about an hour each day (could probably keep going but I run barefoot and by that time my feet are killing me!) however I've noticed that the biggest factor that keeps me going is simply taking my mind off it..

If I concentrate on running I tire very quickly and have to stop, if I think about other things like stuff I need to do at work (or going thailand ) I am able to keep going for MUCH longer.. its really seems to make a very noticable, dramatic difference to my stamina..

Not sure taking your mind off the task will help much in a fight though..

Comment

this may sound a little cryptic,

but there is a principle that i learned but havent mastered, i believe it is called "emptiness" in some martial arts, in my perception, it is a form of moving meditation, where the body is in a mentally and physically relaxed state(relaxed but not limp) and rid of all fear. in this state you can read your opponent with more accuracy, react quicker, and fight longer.

some people who meditate and practice relaxation(a critical principle in the internal arts) do not notice that the muscles in their face are still tensed up, this produces fear, since irrational fear and tenseness in the body go hand in hand, rid your mind and body of tenseness, and you rid your body of fear, and fear is what kills your performance, fear is what causes you to tense up and become stiff, fear is what causes you to stop, fear of exhaustion, fear of getting hit, fear of not performing well etc. all these things hinder your true fighting ability and also hinder your mind and body from linking.

no feelings no emotion no anger no fear, relax your muscles, relax your face, link mind and body, move forward and withdraw, practice the method of constant change, create openings, do not wait for them, do not think, this will slow you down, link mind and body and just let it flow.

stance training will help you develop this ability, during stance training, practice "gazing" forward, not really focused on one thing, this way, your peripheral vision s activatd and your awareness is also, listen inward, and coordinate your movements, when you move an arm dont just move your arm, but coordinate your whole body into it, never throw yourself off balance while attacking.
            be like water.
            "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

This might benifit you in stamina training. A lot of athletic lifts like cleaning/swinging/clean and jerking will benifit your stamina. Ten reps of the appropriate weight will get you panting like a dog on a hot day.
              Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I've done a few of the workouts there... very, very good stuff.
                practice wu de

Comment

I think it was either you or Maestro that had the link and I've been trying stuff out and suggesting it to people ever since. Great stuff, yall.

Comment

Originally posted by Void
                    Methods to gain fighting stamina..
                    IMO, you need a mix of long/short distance running, swimming and/or biking. Your goal is to be able to expend a lot of energy quickly, over a period of time.

When I ran I did 1 day 2-3 miles at a fairly fast pace 6:30-7:00 a mile. On a different day, I did 1/2 mile - 1 mile run to warm up then 1/2 mile to 1 mile of (approx) 100m sprints.

Now I swim 3x a week. 1 day I do 1k of all laps at same pace. 1 day I do 5 laps to warm up and then 2-4 laps of negative splits, 1 lap to recover, repeat till 1k. 1 day I to half a kilometer at the same pace and half a kilometer of negative splits. Negative splits are where the swim out is at one speed and the swim back is faster. You can do each lap as its own set (swim out slow speed, swim back fast, swim out slow etc) or you can increase the speed on each length.

Form training helps as well. Pick a form, do it 15 times in a row with 30sec-1minute break in between each rep.

Bag training helps too. Get a heavy bag (or foucs mitts), pick a combinations, repeat it on the bag/mitts for 2 minutes, rest 30 seconds, pick another combination and repeat for 2 minutes etc etc.

Never did alot of rope skipping. Can't comment on it.

I’m looking for any suggestions | methods for radically gaining | increasing true fighting / sparring stamina – not necessarily for full contact but for hard continuous fighting against more that one opponent that are equivalent standard and greater.
                    Ummmmm, is this 2 vs 1 sparring? Just curious.

Mark
                    Karate/Jujutsu at Akron Shaw JCC

Comment

The best way to get better at fighting is to fight. Use the heavy bag if you can't get a live partner.

In my school we use plyometric exercises to prepare for tournaments and increase endurance in general. Plyos are generally short burst of FULL EFFORT for a period of time (say 30-60 seconds), and then a regulated rest period of no effort.

Google it, and others here may have good links for you as well.

doesn't require equipment or space. Try jumping jacks... stay on your toes, go as fast as you can for one minute, then rest for 20 seconds. repeat. do 5 sets.

try short jumping, forward and back in place, side to side in place. Try it with jump rope - that's a fun one. Jump up two stairs at a time and run back down.
                      Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

I know what you mean juszczec. Jump rope has never been my forte.

Comment

The best way to get better at fighting is to fight. Use the heavy bag if you can't get a live partner.
                          i agree with the heavy bag thing and shadowboxing, but i think that prolonged sparring against another opponent isn't the best way to build stamina. any kind of stamina training, to be effective, should leave you utterly exhausted at the end. when you throw a living, breathing opponent of similar skill into the mix, you're playing off of what they do; so, unless they've got infinite stamina (which they don't), you're going to let yourself slow down as they slow down.

the ways to offset this would be either to spar regularly against someone who's just ridiculously better than you, both in terms of their stamina and the variety of strategies they're capable of, in order to keep you from cutting corners; or to have a really, really large pool of people to spar against. i don't think either of those options are available to most people on this board, so i would recommend going with regular aerobic exercise, shadowboxing and bag work (concerning strictly the stamina angle).

Comment

well, whatever forms of training you are doing, you are going to have to put in time doing things like falling/switching/punch exchanges,ect...

if you truely want to develop fighting stamina, you will have to gain those skills by learning to master the things that would normally spell failure for most.

what that means is this: if you know your abdominal muscles won't handle a punch well, you have to create a workout routine that will gently condition them until a punch in the midsection is no longer an issue. you must condition your body to recieve as well as dispence pain. everytime someone hits you, it takes energy. so you have to train as if you are only fighing the most skilled fighters...

peace

onefocus

Comment

Working...
                            X