Tai Chi whip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tai Chi whip?

Just curious, is the whip a weapon in tai chi?
    "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

never heard of it being a taiji weapon. seems like more of a hard gongfu sort of thing.

Comment

Never heard of it either, which is not to say that you couldn't use it as a taiji weapon...........
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

no

Comment

I've only seen it w/ shaolin pratitioners.
          practice wu de

Comment

Sorry, thought it was, I saw thesehttp://www.martialartsmart.net/tckprss001.html

What would these be used for?
            "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Green Knight- in a way...you should be the whip in taiji.

Comment

I find something humorous in the concept of a taichi whip, but if I said it I would sound like an idiot, because even I know the joke can be put down.
                Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Green Knight: ah, the wind and fire wheels. Yes, its the strange world of Chinese weaponry...beaten only by perhaps the Hindus. I would guess those things were, at some point in time, somewhere in China, actually used as weapons.

I've seen demonstrations of the wind and fire wheels and I'm pretty convinced those are strictly to study 'just for fun.' I would throw them in same bin as the fan, the monk's spade, and yes, the whip.
                  -Jesse Pasleytm
                  "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

There was a lady who got a black belt in the weapons program at the school I go to. She did the fan as her speciality, and that's a very deadly weapon in the right hands. Personally, I think the monks spade is very applicable. Reminds me of an ice pick. If one snaps of the antenna of a car, well there's a whip.

My attraction to the wind and fire wheels, is that it would be a way to incorporate more, tai chi. I can see kind of how they could be used. I don't think anyone else would have the same weapon as that. It would be unique. I have along time till my blackbelt, so... Monks spade, might be a another good choice. There is alot of bo staff work in it. So a monks spade, well..

Comment

I don't know if I'd say deadly, but I was doing a shoot with my teacher, he did some qina and strikes that hurt like a bastich... but not much more than if he were pounding me bare handed.
                      practice wu de

Comment

Yeah, I guess I'm just a stickler for the basics. When you learn the staff, your actually learning things that apply just as easily to spear, sword, spade, big knife, etc. I question a lot of these fancy weapons or schools that claim to really teach '18 weapons.' I only have a little bit of experience with 5 different weapons and each one is so deep I'm sure I could spend a lifetime on just one.
                        -Jesse Pasleytm
                        "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Yeah, I agree, the fan though isn't necessarily striking. The fan's edges are sharp and more for cutting. One thing though, how many people now adays are running around with swords? Knifes are very popular.

Comment

Maybe your thinking of a posture called "Single Whip" which is simply a name for an open hand technique, not a thing to hold and swing.
                            Mike Evans
                            Medford, NY

Comment

no but thank you for trying though.

Comment

Working...
                              X