Is Tai Chi a trick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uwe
    Just dont claim it as something new only known to you. Cite your sources, and people might even consider taking you a bit more serious.

Enough said...
    I had to read that post about 5 times because I could not beleive what you were saying. You are trying to accuse me of plagiarizing.

That is so mind boggling! Where do people like you come up with this stuff?

I don't know you. You don't know me. Yet you feel comfortable accusing me of being a thief. Of stealing from some guy I never heard of.

Does that bother you at all? What does that say about you as a person?

------------

For anyone that is a thinking kind of person.......

I arrived at my explanation on my own. If I, in the years 2000 - 2005, arrived at a conclusion that is similar to one arrived at by some guy way back when, I think that is quite an accomplishment number one. I must be as curious, focused, and smart as that guy was. Number two, if both of us are providing similar explanations, with no collaboration possible because he is dead, then that explanation must be close to correct.

It must be an explanation that can be used to teach people that do not know what silk reeling is, and have trouble comprehending the many mysterious explanations that are commonly put forth for silk reeling.

Comment

Originally posted by kunoichi2003
      Happeh,
      I'm a bit confused as to what kind of answers you were looking for with this post.
      The point is that there was no answer I was looking for. I wanted to start a conversation. I hoped that the question would stimulate the curiosity of someone. Even if they did not believe the statement, it could be a fun question to have a hypothetical intellectual conversation about.

A bunch of "what if" senarios? Something about tai chi and violence? You seem to be appointing yourself as the "teacher" of this thread.
      Well....I did start the thread.

You ever notice how people hate the word teach? I hate it myself. Someone will say "I am gonna teach you something" and inwardly I bristle. I think it is about dominance or something. If someone says teach, the implication is that they are better than you.

My problem with this is, what other word do you use? Teach means to impart new information. I suppose a person could say "I want to impart new information to you", but that is the purpose of the word teach. To save you having to type out "I want to impart new information to you.

I think many people would benefit from examining how they react when someone uses the word teach to them, and asking themselves if that is a conscious intelligent reaction of a thinking human being, or the instinctive reaction of an animal.

So are we supposed to be discussing tai chi and violence from a factual stand point or an imaginative one? Or are we supposed to answer a "what if" question.

kunoichi
      I would be interested in whatever your honest response to the question "What if Tai Chi was a trick" was. I know what I think. I am curious if anyone else thinks something different, or if they have ever even though of the question at all.

Comment

Originally posted by onesp1ng
        well, you've succeeded. really.
        You are one of those aren't you? The man of few words? Whose words can be taken many different ways? The man who knows his words can be taken many different ways, and speaks this way on purpose so he can watch and see which way the person he is talking to chooses. The way chosen by the person he is talking to gives him insight into that person that he will then use to manipulate that person.

Manipulators give me gas. I think manipulation reeks of insecurity.

If you or your position is not strong enough to survive a head on clash, then your position is weak. Trying to reinforce your position through manipulation or other methods still leaves you with a weak position.

Why not change your position? Why do you need to win so badly that you would resort to pychological manipulation in order to win? Your ego will survive. You might cry, but you will get over it.

Why not tell me in plain understandable english what it is you want to say? Don't smile and wink and be cryptic. Just flat out be a man and say what you want to say.

Comment

wow...I didn't want to get involved with this thread but its about that time...After reading your last couple of posts happeh I had to go re-read the entire thread. I don't understand what you are looking for. I thought renato's response was pretty good considering the ambiguity of the question.

Uwe post asking you to cite sources is a valid point. You just want to know where someone is coming from it helps people understand. I don't want one potato I want the whole sack. I can make more mashed potatoes this way. And I like mashed potatoes.

Your random comment about silk reeling confuses me more. What is it you are searching for really with your posting? I know a thing or two and I can pass on my 2 pennies but give us some background on what you are searching for.

What if tai chi was a trick?...do you practice any martial arts?...they all have tricks to them.
          "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Tetsumaru, I'm with you. There doesn't seem to be any goal here to the question other than provoking a scrap.

I think its worth it just for the entertainment value... its like BL with a new twist and better spelling & grammar.

Not to mention the education value, the psychology of this for me is very interesting. Seems many of the regular posters take the value of humbleness quite seriously, and rarely come out "all trumpets blaring". They also seem to rile against someone who puts themselves out there as "an expert", not surprisingly of course because such pomposity and contempt implies lack of respect.

I don't expect that anything anyone says will change Happeh; in my experience people who don't respect the integrity of others tend to be that way because they lack integrity themselves.

Chicken

Comment

If you or your position is not strong enough to survive a head on clash, then your position is weak.
              You need to stop talking about how people need to back up their points and you need to start doing it.

Earlier in this thread you mentioned that anatomy books are wrong, and that there are reels in the human body, one on each side. I asked you, reels of what? You have yet to reply.

In another thread you told someone, "When you stand up, something from inside of you body goes down to your feet. Not muscles. Something else." I asked you to clarify that "something else" for us, since I know how much you hate meaningless explanations. You have yet to reply.

So far, you remind me of the substitute teacher who comes into class and just complains about the students because he has nothing to teach. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Comment

i think my point was pretty straightforward, actually.
                ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

Originally posted by zachsan
                  Reels of what?
                  Hiya! I wanted to think some about your question before I answered it.

The sensations of reeling or unreeling something are what could be described as your energy. I do not believe there is a real physical something that is reeling and unreeling during the exercises.

I think the sensations are generated by the body gradually opening up to the passage of energy. At first the sensations are hard to feel because the person's body is mostly closed up. Then as time goes by and the body opens, the sensations first become stronger, then they feel like they encompass larger or maybe deeper areas of the body.

Originally posted by zachsan
                  "When you stand up, something from inside of you body goes down to your feet. Not muscles. Something else." I asked you to clarify that "something else" for us, since I know how much you hate meaningless explanations. You have yet to reply.
                  As you can see from my answer above, I wanted time to consider. The stuff going from your body down to your feet? You could call it energy. That is probably what most people would call it. If you were a scientific kind of person you might think of it as force. As in the kinds of force described in a physics class.

Comment

i think my point was pretty straightforward, actually.
                    I bet the kids love that mysterious stuff huh? Makes them hang around much longer than they would if you actually talked and revealed you are just the same as they are.

Stop manipulating. Stop hiding. Talk. Let us see who you really are.

Comment

Originally posted by tetsumaru
                      wow...I didn't want to get involved with this thread but its about that time.
                      Uh Oh. The suspence builds.......Is this a prelude to an attack? A buildup for criticism? Maybe you are going to praise me as the savior of real kung fu?

Your random comment about silk reeling confuses me more. What is it you are searching for really with your posting? I know a thing or two and I can pass on my 2 pennies but give us some background on what you are searching for.

Ya. You guys have been poisoned alright.

If you learn kung fu from chinese people, in my experience the students get very suspicious if they are good students. That is because the instructors are suspicious. The instructors call it insight or something else, but suspicion also fits what is happening.

These instructors tell you to always examine a person for their real motives. They counsel you that people hide what they really want, so you need to always be looking for what they are hiding.

I say people like this are poisoned because once they adopt this type of thinking, they can never behave like normal people again. They cannot see any act as nothing but an act. Every act has to be some kind of hidden maniuplation.

This gives me a chance to tell one of my favorite stories that exactly showcases my point.

I was at one kung fu school that was full of low class ruffians. There was one student though that I admired because he seemded educated and a good person. I respected him as a human being.

I left that class and did not see the man for years. Then one day by coincidence I saw him at the bookstore. By that time I had started a different kung fu school. The place I was at was on the lookout for quality students to join. Not just anybody, but quality students.

When I saw this man I immediately thought of him as a candidate. He was still the friendly, polite, good person I remembered. I asked him if he would be interested in joining and he said yes.

I went to the instructor and told him about the man. The instructor agreed to interview him. After the interview took place, I had a meeting with the instructor. Do you know what the first thing the instructor said to me was?

"What was your motivation for bringing that man to me? Are you trying to test me?"

I was heartbroken. I honestly felt the man was a good man who deserved to join the class. I felt I was doing good by bringing the man to my instructor.

But my instructor, thinking in the same poisoned way that you do, was suspicous. All he could think of was that I was laying some kind of trap for him. Our relationship was never the same after that. I could not believe that he was so suspicious, or that he could think so poorly of me..

The man is still the same a decade later. He is still suspicious of everything. That is why I say you are poisoned. Once you are poisoned, you can never go back.

What if tai chi was a trick?...do you practice any martial arts?...they all have tricks to them.
                      I will never understand people. What if Tai Chi was a trick? As in So What? Do you have any curiosity or self respect at all? Aren't you curious as to why someone would trick you? Don't you respect yourself enough to not to want to be tricked and made a fool of?

Tai Chi is a trick. It is a trick to trap abusive and malicious people for one thing. It is also much more than that. But there is no denying that Tai Chi is a trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Happeh
                        Ya. You guys have been poisoned alright.

If you learn kung fu from chinese people, in my experience the students get very suspicious if they are good students. That is because the instructors are suspicious. The instructors call it insight or something else, but suspicion also fits what is happening.
                        I'm not learning kung fu from a chinese person. But I have studied with chinese teachers and I can attest to what you are saying but they have to be suspicious because they don't want to teach the wrong people.
                        I say people like this are poisoned because once they adopt this type of thinking, they can never behave like normal people again. They cannot see any act as nothing but an act. Every act has to be some kind of hidden maniuplation.
                        well it should be called AIDS or something else thats incurable.
                        I was at one kung fu school that was full of low class ruffians...
                        so you see yourself as better than others?
                        I left that class and did not see the man for years. Then one day by coincidence I saw him at the bookstore. By that time I had started a different kung fu school. The place I was at was on the lookout for quality students to join. Not just anybody, but quality students.
                        So were you one of their quality students?
                        "What was your motivation for bringing that man to me? Are you trying to test me?"

I was heartbroken...Our relationship was never the same after that. I could not believe that he was so suspicious, or that he could think so poorly of me..
                        You seem to have issues with your father. Why were you heartbroken over that? If you felt that "man" was really worthy of your teacher's training you should have expressed why. Holding in your emotions and not expressing yourself will lead to all sorts of problems. Speaking of which do you have and issues with drugs or alcohol?
                        Aren't you curious as to why someone would trick you? Don't you respect yourself enough to not to want to be tricked and made a fool of?
                        Yes I am curious. Why did you trick me into this converstion? when it seems to be more of a dialogue with yourself. You seem to be "heartbroken" still. Don't worry buddy collect up the pieces and head to church with doc. He'll help you find the right path.

Tai Chi is a trick. It is a trick to trap abusive and malicious people for one thing. It is also much more than that. But there is no denying that Tai Chi is a trick.
                        Uh Oh. The suspence builds.......

So there is an answer...? can you expand upon the idea of how tai chi is much more than a trick. You seem to have alot of answers you are being quite mysterious, which makes ou very intriguing to me. Is this how you pick up all the guys you date?

If the answer is what I think it is then Shaolin is a trick too. Shaolin used to be filled with all sorts of murderers/social outcasts/and other such devious people. Those people came to learn to fight or get revenge or genreally use shaolin in an abusive way but they were "tricked" after the years and years of training to give up thier old ways and walk on the right path. They just simply realized what they were doing was hurting both themselves and the people they cared for. I'm sure the daily buddhism lessons helped too.

taints alive! what's next?
                        Last edited by tetsumaru; 01-28-2007, 12:48 AM.
                        "What is barely legal?" - Ali G

Comment

Would you be so kind to elaborate, or do you need more time to think about your point?
                          ZhongwenMovies.com

Comment

I am feeling sad cause I was reading some guys in memoriam thread. I need something to rebalance so I will do this.

I'm not learning kung fu from a chinese person. But I have studied with chinese teachers and I can attest to what you are saying but they have to be suspicious because they don't want to teach the wrong people.
                            Who is the wrong person? Someone who will not be controlled? Someone with an independent will?

so you see yourself as better than others?
                            Absoultely. I know for a fact that I am superior to some people in some areas. I also know for a fact that other people are superior to me in some areas. I do not believe in being polite and saying everyone is equal. It is baloney and it makes people and society sick to live with such lies.

So were you one of their quality students?
                            No. I was a nightmare. Really. I bet they wish they never heard of me.

You seem to have issues with your father.
                            Oh God. Not one of you! I would have to say that I was gonna do this because I was sad.

Issues? He was an adulterer, a child molester, and he abandoned our family when I was young.

Does it make you feel superior to know that? Do you think you gained power and I lost power by telling you that? I wish people like you would stop playing your games. Why not get a rubik's cube or a yo yo if you want to play games? At least you would be doing some mind body coordination exercise instead of something that is more like mental masturbation.

Why were you heartbroken over that?.
                            I felt I had a trusting relationship with the man. His statement told me that what I had believed for years was false. If you know anything about kung fu, you know that strong relationships connect the hearts of the people in the relationship. I separated myself from him when I realized he did not trust me. That separation affected the connection between our hearts. I used the phrase "heart broken" to describe those physical sensations.

If you felt that "man" was really worthy of your teacher's training you should have expressed why.
                            Why? What would be the point? This person whom I had been with for years had revealed they had no trust or faith in me. If I had not convinced them of my sincerity over a period of years, how was trying to convince him for another hour going to change things?

IHolding in your emotions and not expressing yourself will lead to all sorts of problems. Speaking of which do you have and issues with drugs or alcohol?
                            Yes they will. What issues do you refer to? You want to get drunk? Or do you only wish to belittle me in some way? Should I ask you if you have drug or alcohol problems? Do you wet the bed? Erection problems? It feels so dirty to ask someone I barely know questions like that. Maybe if I was angry with you I wouldn't care, but right now it makes me feel dirty.

Yes I am curious. Why did you trick me into this converstion?
                            I did not trick you into this conversation. We both know you are demonstrating your kung fu. Even if no one else sees it, we both know what is going on.

when it seems to be more of a dialogue with yourself.
                            Do you know who Genki Sudo is? He is an MMA fighter from Japan. When he wins, he holds up a banner that says "We are all One". He does not do that because he is a hippie, which is what most people think. He does it because it is the truth. All human beings are one. We are all connected to each other.

In that sense, talking to you or anyone else on this board is having a dialogue with myself. So yes, I will agree with you that I am having a dialogue with myself.

You seem to be "heartbroken" still. Don't worry buddy collect up the pieces and head to church with doc. He'll help you find the right path.
                            Sure I am still heartbroken. I am a human being and I have emotions. I have not turned to the path of roboticism where I pretend I have no emotions. I do not hide from my emotions and tell people I do it to conserve energy or because I am a superior kung fu taoist person or some such excuse.

As for your suggestion, I am too worldy for that. Dealing with your manipulative post has given me indigestion as dealing with people like you always does. You are always playing some game that I have to watch for all the time. Life is so much more comfortable dealing with people who do not manipulate and who speak honestly.

Too bad you could not stick to the subject and chose this path of manipulation. Maybe I could have changed you for the better.

Or have I already done that?
                            Last edited by Happeh; 01-29-2007, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Would you be so kind to elaborate, or do you need more time to think about your point?
                              The energy is gone out of it. It is no longer entertaining. The urge has been killed by what has been said.

Tai Chi will gentle violent people. And not through mental persuasion as someone else suggested.

Comment

So moving back to the thrust of your argument, Happeh, you answered both of my questions by saying it's "energy". There a reels of energy on either side of the body, and there's energy (or "force") that moves down through your body when you stand up. OK.

But can you see how you're just substituting words again? Concerning the reels, you went from just general reels to reels of energy... but we still don't know anything about that energy, because it's not a physical thing, presumably it can't be measured. In terms of the ejaculation thing, you went from "something else" to energy to force. Usually when people switch words around like this they're trying to lend something the appearance of credibility.

But there is something you're trying to say here. So obviously, since I don't think you're lying, I guess you're describing a feeling you have. But it's just as obvious that you see it as much more than just a feeling. In fact, you see it as superior to the information to be obtained from both Shaolin and anatomy books. I guess my question is, how did you come about this knowledge? And what is it that makes that source more reliable than basically anything else, the scientific method included?

Comment

Working...
                                X