Shi De Jian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shi De Jian

This was sent to me by a member of our community. The Word doc has been scanned for viruses, and is safe for download. Interesting information, as this monk is a member of the Cao Dong sect, which I previously had thought was generally found in Vietnam. Interesting sect...
    Attached Files
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

My mistake. I was thinking of the Cao Dai sect in Vietnam.

It's a bizarre belief system, based in Tay Ninh. It was founded in the 1920's by some French guy who supposedly heard from god; he created this "religion" that has, amongst others, Jesus Christ, Victor Yugo, Lenin, Joan of Arc, Shakespear, Sun Yat Sen, and I think, even Mark Twain, as patron saints.

You confuse things like this when you get old. Remember, I am your father.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

I can't get the file.

Doc, most of shaolin is Cao Dong- from Fu Yu. Look at your lineage in your little book- should be in there.

There are some Linji- I'm hazy but I think Wan Heng was Linji.
      "Arhat, I am your father..."
      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Intresting reading. I think most of it (and more) can be found on his webpage.

Comment

wugulun school

Originally posted by Lucipha
          Intresting reading. I think most of it (and more) can be found on his webpage.
          The school on this site looks very different from most others, with the kind of training I mean. Have you been there Lucipha?

Comment

Originally posted by michabusch
            The school on this site looks very different from most others, with the kind of training I mean. Have you been there Lucipha?
            No i haven't, but some friends of mine have.

By the way, i heard a funny story some years ago about how he was tricked to do an exibition in france. He was asked to performe, but declined som they asked him to just give a lecture on chan-buddhism and he was fine with that, but when he entered the hall the speakers announced that he was going to performe som he more or less had to do it. I'm pretty sure that's the vid i got at home. He sure looks less than happy on it.

Comment

Hi all...new here, though have surfed russbo over the past year or so.
              I'll say another 'proper' hi in the personal sections.
              Couldn't open the 'doc'...perhaps because I don't as yet have Word on my mac (since jumping ship from PC land). However, I've had a good rummage around the site and it's pretty extensive. I've only recently come across Shi Dejian (via youtube of all places) and was pretty impressed with what I saw - him and the forms presented by Shi De Yang...I was getting pretty disheartened with the whole politics surrounding shaolin and kung fu that I almost quit training. However, from what I can gather (and I'm hardly as knowledgeable on the subject as most of you folks) these fella's are in it for the right reasons - it's a joy to watch. I assume guys like these are held up pretty high in esteem and are more the 'real deal' than the touring performers...but that's a huge question eh?
              I've been feeling of late that the more I read up (and there's a wealth of info on this site) the less I seem to know...it's becomes a convoluted puzzle, almost misdirecting me from the my original intentions for studying kung fu. Hey ho, at least I'm in the right place here to make my own mind up!

Thanks and regards.

Comment

Originally posted by norfbech
                I assume guys like these are held up pretty high in esteem and are more the 'real deal' than the touring performers...but that's a huge question eh?
                In most cases, especially recent ones, what makes you think there's a difference?

russbo.com

Comment

Hi Doc,

...I couldn't honestly give you a detailed answer as to the real differences, though the wushu types I feel are obviously more flashy, the 'old school' seem more pronounced and powerful (less 'floral' etc). I'd read rather too much on the negative aspects of the current Shaolin bombardment and was getting a little disillusioned with it all...then I saw the De Yang and (and Dejian) footage and the execution of the forms really was a joy to behold.
                  Ironic really as, if I'm honest here, I saw the original 'wheel of life' tour and a pretty much lifelong attempt to practice kung fu was kicked up the a*se. I remember as a kid watching old Shaw Brothers (et al) kung fu flicks in working mens labour clubs - I loved them! Then came along Carradine...Bruce Lee...then I saw a documentary on (TV many years ago...quite possibly BBC??) about the 'mythical shaolin monks'. It may have been the one focusing on De Yang (picked up on a forum recently) it may have been earlier.
                  So I came late to the arts, but it's changed my life somewhat...and I'm appreciating it as at the moment I've out of training due to foot fracture and sinus/chest 'issues'...can't wait to get back.
                  Part of me likes to believe there are some genuine lineage guys still deeply immersed in preserving the arts whilst the 'shaolin monks' perform around the world...there still great to watch mind. In fact there's a world premiere of the Chinese Classic story 'Monkey' next year here in Manchester featuring said 'monks'...I'll no doubt be attending.
                  Hope some of that made sense.
                  I think I'm in the right place to be told otherwise!
                  Cheers.

Comment

I understand what you're saying, and agree with you wholeheartedly. The younger guys do have some traditional knowlege, but I think that where they are lacking is in their approach to things, such as life. The older guys have had a different upbringing than the younger ones, and it most definitely shows, not only in their gong fu but in their actions.

russbo.com

Comment

That probably rings true across many cultures and countries. Here in the UK it seems that, due to a lack of good upbringing etc many kids are out of control. Some of the stuff I read is pretty shocking...I suppose they're 3rd generation on from parents who lost jobs and faith. Our big uk cities almost have the reputation of the larger American cities (and no offence there) - gun crime has reached a level where every other day (if not every day) you hear of a shooting...this was not around 20 years ago. It's a very materialistic world out there today...which is why I suppose people like the monks are held in such high regard.
                      But I'm going off the thread a little! Thanks for your reply Doc - this is a fantastic site you have here, I'll be around more often...badly attempting to put the world to rights!
                      I don't suppose the Deyang documentary is available anywhere these days?
                      Regards.

Comment

Should've added that I was wondering if the Dejian documentary was available also - was this for a Canadian channel? The footage of Dejian on the roof of a house in the mountains is stunning, albeit toe tingling (I'm not too hot on heights at the best of times)...hard to conceive living in a more beautiful environment!

Comment

those cute british kids...

Here in the UK it seems that, due to a lack of good upbringing etc many kids are out of control.

well as a south african who has many friends teaching british kids i would have to agree.

rumour is it might just be best to sink england now so as not to allow the next generation to reach adulthood.

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
                          Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Originally posted by renato
                            Here in the UK it seems that, due to a lack of good upbringing etc many kids are out of control.

well as a south african who has many friends teaching british kids i would have to agree.

rumour is it might just be best to sink england now so as not to allow the next generation to reach adulthood.
                            'tis true.. but you know where america leads, england valiantly follows..

Comment

So true. And in truth South Africa is a mere 10 years behind.

There are only 10 types of people in this world.
                              Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X