No announcement yet.

Shi Yan Ming????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That may be the "official current historical" version, but it's not completely accurate.

Yongxin was XingZheng's secretary, and not a very well liked one at that. He made a deal with the dying XingZheng to be put on the committee that was going to manage Shaolin after XingZheng's death. Su Xi was supposed to be abbot, but didn't want the job. Yongxin used that committee time to make political friends in the appropriate places, eventually leading to his taking over the abbot position in 99.

I wrote about this years ago, as it was happening. Search the site for the words "Hitler" and "Hindenberg"...., LOL. History continues to repeat itself.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

• However the history, you are very well knowledgeable of Shaolin history. I am only meaning to speak about Yan Ming. He teaches the wrong messages to americans. people should know that he is not a Shaolin monk. The only reason why he continues to call himself one is because the $$$ comes easier that way. Breaking every vow as a "monk"...he has no right to drag this title through the mud.

Comment

• I can't find it. I know I wrote it, but I can't find it. I made the analogy to Hitler's and Hindenberg's discussion before Hitler became Chancellor. Oh well.

But, the Forum Archive has some interesting tidbits about Yanming and those times. As the old forum is cgi driven, I can't get a hyperlink out of it. But, go to Forum Archive, The
        Shaolin Monks, topic "Monks abroad". It reiterates some of what you just said, from back in 2000. And, also a great picture of Yanming, with long hair and a mustache. That, can be explained... EDIT: I've attached them.

I'll keep looking. Now this is bothering me...
        Attached Files
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

• Dear Doc,
          I know these photos of Yan Ming. So why is he wearing laymen's clothing and close to a regular hairstyle and the moustache when Guolin is in full monks garb?
          You know there is a photo of Yan Ming at the Shaolin Temple with full ordained monks clothing and standing at the left hand side of Shi Su Xi who should have become the next abbot, especially after he paid dearly for his steadfastness during the Cultural Revolution. If Yan Ming was not an ordained monk how could he be standing there with that special clothing on in full view of everyone in a kind of official audience a the entrance to the Temple? I have also read Guolin as saying that there were only a few ordained monks on the first tour of the USA in 1992 and Yan Ming was one of them. If you read some of the academic research done by Meir Sharar on the Shaolin Temple you will notice that alot of what passes as fact is more legend going all the way back to the origins with Damo to the invention of alot of the Gong Fu and the consistency in monastic regulation over the centuries. It seems obvious to me that Shi Yongxin has spent alot of money, effort and political manipuation trying to promote the Shaolin Temple as a highly regulated and spiritually motivated original historic sanctuary of Buddhism, and pinnacle of Gong Fu excellence. And he has done this by using the media in a very 21st Century way.

Jackwolf

Comment

• Shi Yan Ming, the truth and nothing more.................

I really would like someone to come out and say what they think is the truth about Yan Ming. Otherwise all this waste of time gossiping will continue. Okay gossip is what keeps columns or conversations like this going but it would be best to lay some issues to rest.
            I also would like to know why De Jian died a few years ago?

JW

Comment

• De Jian or De Qian? The historian? The one that wrote the book with DeYang, that large Shaolin encyclopedia? He had stomach cancer.

As for YanMing, I've heard the "reality" from De Qian, (and De Cheng, De Ru, De Yang, Wan Heng), many years ago. But because a lot of what comes out of China is "smoke and mirrors", and a lot of myth, I don't want to appear to contribute to it. I've never written it all down, just didn't want to go there. Let's just say, that allegedly, he's in "not so monk like" garb and hairstyle in those pictures, because, supposedly he was not "in the temple" for a prolonged period of time before those photos were taken. Those photos were taken before the tour to America from which he defected. And, again, allegedly, Yanming wanted to go on that tour. Supposedly, having those photos were a necessary thing for his future plans....

The overall story has a lot of similarities to what I went through with Xing Wei, in my opinion. Again, another story.

russbo.com

Comment

• even if a person honestly told you their life story it would still be their perspective of their life not neccesarily the truth of what happened.

none of the shaolin monks are monks, they dont live in a monastery. and even if they are alot of those guys arent what they used to be, they arent fighting monks they're guys who practice buddhism and gung fu

shaolin warrior monks faught they had to fight they had to farm and hunt and scavenge and were different because of the times they lived in, you cant replicate it. just because you know how to wield a weapon and get power out of it and are fast doesnt mean you can fight and the same goes with hand 2 hand

even if your not into the whole warrior monk fighting aspect that takes away alot from the mentality and mystique of a shaolin monk. the bottom line is these guys arent fighters, they dont fight or do fight training. they are just like any other chinese martial artist but they shave their heads

just cause they practice buddhism or claim to or whatever they do who cares does that really make them a priest? i dont think so.

and nothing is special about gung fu its not like it makes you some crazy mystical guy cause u practice that and buddhism

what im geting at is, yan ming and his past..dude whatever hes not a friggin terrorist or anything hes a guy that teaches gung fu and buddhism i dont think thats a crime and honestly he could probably be alot worse so who really cares

not to mention he comes from one of the poorest areas of a poor communist country like alot of these guys whats he supposed to be the dalai lama?
                "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

• Thank you, Doc. I was inquiring about De Jian the monk who had posted many little videos of Xiao Hong Quan applications and him practicing on mountain tops around Songshan. So Yan Ming wasn't really at the Shaolin Temple for a long time? I don't understand all this. Did/do they have any type of real standard for identifying personalities associated with the Temple as in who is/was a real monk and Gong Fu master, and who is only someone who is great at Gong Fu learned some things at the Temple but is not/was never a Monk? I know China is very different from let's say the USA or Western Europe, and I know the effects of the Cultural Revolution were so devastating to such places as the Shaolin Temple, and all of society for that matter that alot of what passes as reality is not really what is going on. I guess it was necessary for many people to play such identity games for survival sakes or at least to keep any vestige of dignity alive in their hearts or family. But this is ridiculous for US/Europe students who can't be sure if their teacher/Shifu is what he says. The Shaolin Temple has to get things straightened out about all these former monks/gong fu instructors who are all over the West claiming this and that and whatnot. It will eventually come out what the truth is, it always does somehow, and if the Temple is implicated as hiding some facts, or procrastinating on revealing the truth about these guys then it will lose alot of its status and credibility with Gong Fu enthusiasts in the West. It is simple, all that has to happen is some wealthy student somewhere studying with one of these guys gets seriously hurt and decides to publicize some wrongdoing and sue. If the press decides to pick it up it can lead to alot of questioning by alot of people. Thanks Doc and Happy New Year.

Comment

• De jian addition...........

Sorry Doc, I forgot to mention those vids are on Youtube under De Jian or Xiao Hong Quan applications.

Comment

• Not the same guy. The De Qian I knew was the Shaolin historian, who wrote all the books. He didn't bother with videos or Youtube. He was 62 I think, last year when he died.

As for Shaolin keeping track of people, well, it didn't happen. I know of no record keeping back then, even in the nineties. Why should they? Monks of yore traveled from temple to temple. Orange robes got you in, if not recommendations. When the wushu guan was built in 1989, and some guys went there to primarily do gong fu (and performances), it opened the door to "others" to show up, join the team, and start the whole "monk" identity thing. Then there were some who showed up at the wushu guan because they were friends with a genuine monk of the temple, stay there for two months, beg to be on the team, pay some photographer to include him in the shaolin book, go on one tour, and the rest his history. It happens over and over again, even to this day.

Yan Ming's story is a tragic and interesting one. I would never say, in my opinion, that he is what he says he is. But I will say, from what many have told me, that his life has been not the easiest. Too much tragedy, both directed at him, and, because of him. Truly sad beginnings. Well, hats off to him for at least surviving, and being successful.

Though, I'll add, I can't respect people who are false, and I certainly don't respect success that is obtained in a malignant way. I personally think honesty and hard work is the best approach in life, especially when you're in a position where people follow you, respect you, and emulate you. Unfortunately, its not the current way of life, is it. Those traditional ways of thinking, long gone in China, are rapidly becoming obsolete here in the US.

russbo.com

Comment

• i dont think its fair to judge anyone unless youve walked the same path and thats not possible. i dont know and never met yan ming but i dont think its right to emulate anyone, even chan is a personal experience with different vehicles for the student, so is gung fu. if he respects his students why not respect him, unless hes some kind of crazy murderer/rapist whats the problem the guy is teaching kung fu is it really so big a deal

shaolin has a crazy history and not to mention chinese people are crazy, if him teaching and shaving his head gets even a handful of peeps really interested in chan and shaolin then they could go on to do great things and hes a part of that process
                        "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

• Thank you, Doc. i appreciate your information.

Comment

• I haven't said anything. But one day, I'll write a story... Just too much to do at this point.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                            X