No announcement yet.

exp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you've got some information to put on the site, feel free to contact me. I've been interested in this stuff for a while, and we've got plenty of server space to share this with people.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

burrrrr

so, whats up with TCM and the dislike of cold liquids..ive heard a couple of these guys saying its bad to drink cold water and cold substances etc for some reason or another..always wondered what that was supposed to mean..
      "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

Well maestro, to put it simply. Ice water is horrible for you. To explain it from a western point of view, the reason americans serve a beverage on ice is so that the cold temperature will numb the tastebuds. It's difficult to taste the chlorine and other nasty things in tap water if its ice cold. This is the same reason american beers, and liquors are served chilled or over ice. It numbs the tastebuds.

The problem is that when you consume alot of ice cold water it ****s with your stomach. Your stomach now has to stop whatever it was doing and use its energy to heat that water up to your normal body temperature before it can be absorbed. And as any physicist will tell you, it takes alot of energy to raise the temperature of even a small amount of water by 30 to 50 degrees farenheit.

So, the TCM perspective on this is pretty much the same. They say ice water can injure stomach yang, and often can cause food stagnation if consumed after or during a meal. Ice water can also inadvertently damage the spleen.

As for cold foods in general, that depends on the patients constitution and environmental climate. For expample, the climate in northern china, in the winter months, is very cold and damp. Thus most of the local food which is prepared in that area is hot and pungent (spicy). This helps to warm up the body and burn off the dampness. But theres more to the hot/cold nature of foods than the temperature at which the food is served.

Grapefruit and watermelon are very cool fruits and they are excellent for helping the body clear summer heat, but they are silly things to eat in the autumn or wintertimes because they will make the body to cold.

I hope that helps maestro.
        Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Interestin...

Comment

You should see Decheng yell at me in the morning, as I drink my large glass of ice water, and eat my chocolate chip cookies for breakfast. He keeps wanting me to drink hot water. Especially since I'm still a bit under the weather.

Interesting changes I see. Got them at the house now, it's been interesting observing them. Xinghao, who has been in the US for six years, now drinks ice water. Deyang, De Ru, Xingying, Xingwei, Decheng all drink hot water. Xinghao has been "Americanized" with respect to this water aspect.

Oh, and so has Decheng. He now eats chocolate chip cookies for breakfast too.

As do the rest of these guys. They love chocolate chip cookies. Ate every damn one of them on me....

Oh, and with respect to this spicy food stuff. It's not as prevalent as you think in northern China, there are other "styles" of cooking, that are not spicy. Hot pot is popular in northern China also. The preponderence of hot spicy food is found in Sichuan province, actually, most of the food is hot and spicy. It is VERY damp in Sichuan, as well as cold in the winter. The humidity is so high in Chengdu, that the fog is virtually impenetrable in the mornings. The Chengdu people use a lot of spices to ward of rheumatism, which is common there.
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

never thought about that

makes sense though..

thanx for the reply dao

btw, is your dads name walter grant? i mentioned you to Onassis Parungao and he said thats the only dad he can think of that he teaches anyway..

nice to know you guys are still lurking around russbo..

cheers

Comment

Yea, that'd be him. You taking classes with onassis these days? He's a good guy.

Comment

I think the idea that you must drink hot water is a throwback to days where water purification consisted of boiling the water before drinking it. If you drink it while it's still warm its much better for you (though if you drink it scalding hot all the time your trying to to esophageal cancer) in this regard.

However, the healthiest way to drink tap water is right out of the cold faucet. With no ice. Tap water coming from the hot tap is not good to drink, as it often has much higher amounts of lead and other minerals which are picked up as the hot water cleans the pipes from the inside out.

Comment

na

na i havent taken a class with him yet..im probably gonna drop by in a couple days to check things out, i might start taking chi kung classes with yan ming to

peace

Comment

Thermodynamics.....

Geez, I don't remember exactly, but I think it is 1 calorie of energy to raise one mL of water 1 degree centigrade. Oh, and the "calories" that we think of in food, that is actually kilocalories.
                      practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                      X