No announcement yet.

Topic Fourteen: The whole concept of "I want to be (am) a Shaolin monk"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They will be in for a rude awakening! That is part of my point but I think Cheye stated it better. The reason for the rude awakenong is that it will not be anything like what kids expect. As Cheye said, they are used to "having stones removed" based on their experiences. We have come to expect enerything to be handed to us. When it isn't, we perceive that as being tough or unduly hard, when in fact that is closer to reality. Good things in life do not come easy. - at least not those thing that truely are worth anything. We'll here I go again, rambling on....so I'll stop.
    Nothing is more frightening than ignorance in action - Goethe

Comment

You are so wrong. About one thing at least. Not ALL children are having everything handed to them and the stones in their path removed!!!! Like you said we, the kids, need someone to care for us, really care. And not just caring, but also to truly show that they care! I believe that the lack of THIS is what causes us to want to go join some religious or semi-religious brotherhood.
      And this is where you were very wrong; Some of us kids are willing to work REALLY hard. Even to the degree of devotion which causes us to put a matter, case or ideal first, even before our own lives! So for many it's NOT "an easy way to fame" but "a lifelong, testing, strenuous path". I believe at least some of these kids are up for it for real and won't give up even if it is so much different from what they expected.

BUT. but but but.
      Many many kids ARE after the fame and a fast success. This is the exsact same reason kids join gangs.
      They just don't know it in their concious part of their mind, because we grew up in an age where the concept of "15 minutes of fame" is omnipresent. These values are unconciously being pumped into our minds ALL THE TIME...

life darn tough, unfair and treacherous.

a statement of a teenager.. probably all misunderstood

Comment

man you are so right Asger. Hey every one i am 16 and i can say that for me fersonaly nothing has been given to me and when something that simes to good to be true comes along it is in my case see i have lived with my mom and dad till i was 7 then with my mom till i was 9-10 then my dads till i was 14 then a group home from 14 -15 then a nether group[ home for 6 months then i finaly moved back with my mom and brother and step dad for 4 mounths in wyohming then when we where moveing back to california october 2003 my mom fell alsleep for a few secs and the car was turnig to the lift so when she wake up she panicted a jorked the car to the right and the car popted up on two wheels and the back on four and then on the lift two wheels and then on the right side my side and sceded for about 1 minute then poped up and landed on my moms corner it broke her neack i was bleeding alot and trying to stay awake i tock off my seet bleat and was trying to help my mom she wasent movng so then i got out as fast as i could to help her ans my little brother in the back seat when igot out of the window of the car my brother was already out and we where yelling at my mom asking her if she was ok my mom was 5 monthes pragnent that is the reason we where moveing back to califorina so that the baby could be around the family then my step dad got out of the moving truk he had to see the whole thing in his rear aview miorror a bunch of people where all stoping and trying to help us we where in navada so Doc you should know how thoughs long desert loking highways look i was bleeding so much that they rushed me to the hesplital then when i got there i foud out that my mom was dead then i was flown in a helocoptor for where ever the hell i was to renos haspital igot 38 steaples from my shoulder and my elbow i found out i had a anunt that worked at the haspital and she called one of my moms cousins i never new i had and from there i moved some more oh i am so sorry that i got off the subject but i was telling my mom thourgh all the hard times and the good times that i wanted to train with the shaolin monks and my be if poable become one and if not mybe just a buddhist monk and that is some of the reasons i am so determind to become a shoain monk and train with the monks it is not because i am running away are i am sad no it is because this is some thing i have been wanting to do a my mom saported me in this and my dad is finaly suportingme in doing this before he wanted me to besome thing i am not a bisnessman now this my or may not help so of you out on way i now this is what i want to do and will do
        lil monk

Comment

For me, I don't have the desire to be a shaolin monk. I don't think a real monk, would want me to change my faith, but be who I already am and being a christian, I can't be one.

I'm not one of those that had all the stones removed by I know what your talking about. Personally, what I get sick about, is these are always the kids that get recognized no matter what.

Personally, I there is a syergy you feel in a large class you don't feel in a small one. In a large class you get a bunch of different ways of being attacked from different body types. Also there is some exercises that can't be done on a small class, like the Gauntlet. It's harder to find people to practice with Yes there are advantages of smaller classes too. You get more individual attention, and what you stated. My teacher though does not claim to be a shaolin monk.
          http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Comment

One thing too does someone need to be a monk, to teach martial arts. The reason my teacher goes through the system he does is because of the support he gets. Usually once a year a master flies out to help with a blackbelt test.
            "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

So everyone should be equal...
              Anyone ever read Vonnegut's 'Harrison Bergeron'?
              Nine valedictorians, that's a trip...I bet the one who should really be valedictorian is a bit peeved that they worked a little harder than everyone else but they still have to share the spotlight with eight other people who didn't work quite as hard...

Comment

Isn't being a monk, different then being a martial arts teacher? From what I've heard it's a religious position. Now a martial arts teacher still has a alot of influence over his students, but it's not really religious would you you say. If someone just wants to teach martial arts perhaps it would be better off they not be monks.
                "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Working...
                X