Finally Joined Guolin's school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flushing

I am considering attending the Flushing Shaolin Overseas school.

I am not up on, or all that interested in the internal politics of the monks. I am just looking to have fun, get in shape, and learn some authentic kung fu, preferably with practical applications as well.

Is this school a good place to study? It seemed good, but what do I know. I've never studied MA before.

Comment

It's a good choice. Guolin has some experience at Shaolin, and some experience at some other temple, so his MA background is extensive and varied. Besides, he acts like a monk, lol....
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

I had a good experience while i was training there a few years back. At the time Guolin, was teaching only the Qiqong part of the class, ShiHengShan was teaching the kungfu part of the class. Guolin brought over a few trainers from the Temple a couple years back to help teach the kungfu class, I know that some left back to China but I think a couple might have stayed behind. Great trainers though you could be learning one form this day and a new one the next day. Overall it was a great school.
        Amithaba

Comment

Flushing

Well how come you left and where are you training now? Is the kind of Kung Fu they teach there applicable, or is it all for show?

Comment

It was a 4+ hour roundtrip for me to go so it wasn't that convenient when I had an erratic schedule. I'm currently training in Jujitsu/thai boxing. When I was there some of the things where applicable, HengShan actually broke down forms and explained what the purpose of the moves where but they also did the "showy" side of kungfu as well. You should check it out and judge for yourself
            Amithaba

Comment

Premier, just curious, where do you train JuJitsu? I'm at Renzo Gracie's school
              in NYC.

Comment

Oh nice I wish i could have trained there but with my schedule I can't. I'm training with Johnny Guerrero
                Amithaba

Comment

If you ever want to come down and check it out, let me know, I'd be happy to
                  show you around. Good luck with your training.

Comment

hey does anyone know how i could seek more detailed training? i was thinking about doing an overseas trip but i have no idea were to start.

Comment

Working...
                    X