Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse culture shock, ain't it a bitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse culture shock, ain't it a bitch?

Haven't been around for a long time. Sort of forgot about a lot of things when I got back from Japan this last fall. Since the day I left Japan I have missed it so much more than I ever missed the states while I was there. I missed my best friend from over there for 3 months after he left (he was an exchange student also and ended up having to go home 3 months before me) more than I ever missed my family the whole time I was over there. Now I'm back in the United States around all the annoying and rude foreigners I grew to despise while in Japan. I ended up dropping out of High School since I received no credit for my year in school there. Not even a foreign language credit. This happened because my school here won't give any credits without a transcript and my school back in Japan wouldn't give out transcripts to exchange students. Double-edged sword I suppose. Taking GED and hope to start college in the fall. I'll be damned if I'll give my asinine high school another year of my life. For all I know I could die between now and then, and wouldn't that suck.

I really can't believe how badly I miss the land of the rising sun. It's so much more than I ever expected it to be. I never even got close to missing the U.S. while I was there, let alone this much. I've had chronic insomnia for months because of this. Going from a small town in Japan of 250,000 people to a small town in Nebraska of 10,000 is really quite depressing in itself, but the boredom factor seems to increase that about 10-fold as well. I think about my kendo friends and sensei a lot. They were really close friends who I would like to see again. I also miss having kendo as an outlet for stress. Anymore, about anything I see or hear can trigger homesickness. Music I listened to, or watching anything on tv that has to do with Japan.

So in conclusion. I'm back on the forums and back in the states.

I think Nebraska is one of your bigger problems man, I've driven through it, tried not to stop, I was scared I'd get lost in a wheat or corn field. Why don't you practice some by yourself, it can be a great stress relief.
    practice wu de

Comment

Didn't get to bring my stuff back with me. Would like to get a sinai or something here, will try to look into ordering one off the internet or something.

Comment

Have you thought about returning to Japan and doing your schooling over there?

Or, at least, get out of Nebraska. I've driven through that too...
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Not a day goes by that I don't think about going back to Japan. Definately am planning on going for part of my schooling. At least a year exchange if not more. I would really like to go back and work, but visas are a problem with their economy the way it is. Only jobs going to foreigners are to teach english and that's really a last ditch effort for me to do after I finish school (since I need a college degree to teach english there). While being in Nebraska really magnifies the problem, my friend In NJ seems to be going through the same thing right now. But he came back 3 months before me and has had that extra time to adjust. I guess time will tell, but for now, it sure sucks.

Comment

Well, two things man. First of all, remember the Dao. The emptiness shall be filled. Granted, my emptiness has been waiting to be filled for years, but, you're a youngun, and you've got plenty of time ahead of you. Second, you're a youngun and you've got plenty of time ahead of you.

Give it time. And, it's been my experience, that just when you think things can't get any worse, they do. And, eventually, they get better.

Much better.

Something positive will come your way. When you least expect it. Be ready...
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

Working...
            X