my shaolin book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my shaolin book

I am thinking about makeing a book on shaolin temple the monks the temple the history and all about it. if any one would tell me some other web sites beside this one to search more things about shaolin thanks bye.
    lil monk

Good luck. Others have tried and lost. It's not an easy thing to do, one, a lot of the history was not written down, two, the history that was, is in Chinese, three, the Chinese of pre 1940 or so has different grammar, and is not well understood by most Chinese of this day.

Forget a good deal of the other web sites. Too much bull****.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

Um, yeah.. there are a lot of books out there 1.
      2. I'd suggest more than just websites for refference
      3. How many years you plan on devoting to this book?
      4. You really need a huge backround in Shaolin to even have a concept of it, capturing that in a book is very, very difficult.

Don't want to discourage you though.. good luck.
      practice wu de

Comment

hey just make up something. like a new style of shaolin that's been lost for 1000 years but has been preserved in secret and now for the first time you're letting it out into the public eye. include a secret technique that involves throwing dust into the eyes of any opponent for a 100% guaranteed win and a Black Belt Certificate as the back cover, and you're set. it seems to work for plenty of people.

Comment

Zachsan, you're rapidly becoming like the rest of us, lol.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

yes yes that is what i will do thanks Zachsan just kidding i am really want to make this book
            lil monk

Comment

zachsan: excellent hehe, now you just have to get a cool name for your new secret art and make up a legend about the lost 1000 years

Comment

it's called Hung Lo Quan and it was created during the Ping dynasty 1000 years ago. its master immediately relocated to Japan after discovering the awesome power of his new style, in order to keep it secret. there he lived with Ninjas and learned their mystic arts of stealth and dust-throwing, which he incorporated into his system before the entire clan of Ninjas he lived with was slaughtered in the Crusades. yes, the Crusades extended all the way into Japan, in secret. but the master, who was so powerful he did not have a name, perfected the technique of longevity, and thus is still alive today (in hiding). for the first time, he has taught me his secret system of Hung Lo Quan and the dust-throwing technique of the lost Sokitume Ninja clan.

with orgone energy,
                zach

Comment

Just curious, but were the ninja societies around a thousand years ago? I thought that was a later phenomenon.

russbo.com

Comment

sure, there were. in secret.........

Comment

Joehaz:

Speaking as a writer you should know it takes about 10 years to write a history book.

NEVER believe anything on the Internet, any one can write anything on here. ALL WAYS GO TO THE SOURCE--I can not stress that enough. The great thing about russbo is that it doesn't make any wild claims, a lot of the people on here have actually been to the temple, and Dr. Russell is an amazing guy to work with! The Internet is a great tool for getting ideas and for contacts.

If you want to be a writer then write! It's a skill like anything else. If your school offers creative writing or journalism classes take them, learn the fundamentals like grammar (VERY important). I have several different types of dictionaries on my desk: foreign language, origins of words & phrases, a couple of thesauruses, various books on grammar, & reference books…

If you want to write a book on Shaolin then I say do it! Research what ever you can & write it up. You have to write a 1000 sentences before you write 1 good one. Just keep writing. All the best.

Comment

Why thank you RJ. I'm, well, speechless.

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by RJW

If you want to write a book on Shaolin then I say do it! Research what ever you can & write it up. You have to write a 1000 sentences before you write 1 good one. Just keep writing. All the best.

RJ, I could not have said it better myself.

Uwe

Comment

RJW,

It may also be useful, as a writer, that when you are advising someone on how to write - with reference to spelling and appropriate word usage, that you should ideally also check your own first!

Originally posted by RJW
                            Joehaz:

Speaking as a writer .... ALL WAYS GO TO THE SOURCE... a couple of thesauruses... various books on grammar, & reference books…

Comment

Just curious, what's wrong with RJW's post?

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X