Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shi De Ru

moroboshi is offline Registered Member: no custom title Registered Member

Shi De Ru

After doing a bit of research on De Ru, (Shawn Liu) I found some conflicting stories on him. Lots of the people seemed to question his validity as a Monk, but most of them seemed to be Sanshou people with a grudge against him for whatever transpired in the USAWKF.

Now, noone is perfect and I understand that he may have made mistakes in the USAWKF or Sanshou community, but is there a basis for questioning his training at the temple? I'm just curious... Thanks.

There is no basis for questioning his training at the temple. In fact, I admire him for his humbleness.

He has spent far more time training at the temple than others who use the "Shaolin monk" moniker, and, I might add, who have achieved far more fame by doing so.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

I saw him throw a sick tornado kick at a tourney once. It was bad ass. From what I know he is the real deal.

moroboshi is offline Registered Member: no custom title Registered Member
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses!

I trained with "master liu" over the summer at one of his training camps. Everyone is right on so far. He is not a monk I don't think he ever mentioned being a monk. He prefers being called Sifu Liu, not De ru. Deyang is his kung-fu brother and Grandmaster Su Xi is his master. He is a really good sanda fighter/teacher. One of his students, Patrick Barry is a k-1 fighter, up and coming. He does have alot of knowledge on TCM. He treated some of the students while we trained. I have heard he is very flamboyant as well. My current teacher here in Michigan said he used to wear very shiney Gold uniforms and such. He's a really nice, funny, and down to earth guy. Drives like a crazy man but overall an excellent teacher. So if you are ever in New Orleans or Mobile check his schools out or go to liuinstitute.com

De Ru is quite the guy, and, though he may not technically consider himself to be a monk, he has far, far more histiory at the temple, and knowledge, than some of those that do consider themselves to be shaolin monks.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

gossip

He was telling me a story about how he had to defend himself against some of his sanshou fighters that snuck into his hotel room on night. I didn't get the details but some of the students who heard other versions of the same story said he knocked them out. I told him he should write a book. I know I would be interested! anyone else?

Liu (De Ru) also has an interesting story about how he was jumped when he was attending a university in Mobile. He was, I guess, hit with a pipe and knocked out. He woke up to the thugs rifling through his pockets, so he broke one of their legs and knocked the others out. From this incicdent he went on to met the local sheriff and began teaching Tai chi and then gong-fu. If anyone knows more to this story please fill in the blanks!

Sounds like the story of him being attacked by the villagers in Shaolin.

Lots of stories goin round.

That sounds like an interesting story! Never heard that...Have you met him?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast