Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Shaolin in LA

Hello Brothers!

I've just moved to the Los Angeles area, I'm looking for a Shaolin school in the LA area. Do you know any reputable masters here that I can learn from. I'm looking to find a good school as I need to fill the void in my life, I love to train and can't wait to learn more.

Where in LA are you? I have a good friend who doesn't have a school, but teaches wing chun and sun style taijiquan. We usually train in the park. His sigong is Augustine Fong (who teaches in arizona), who is an extremely reputable fellow in terms of wing chun.

There's also an incredible wu style taiji sifu in pasadena/monterey park area. But sorry, I don't know of any specifically shaolin gongfu schools. Although then again I'm one of those nutballs who beleives taijiquan is a style of internal gongfu.

Let me know if you're interested carpooling to vegas for a week at doc camp this summer. Fa hui might be able to help you find a school, he's been around here longer.
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

I think there might be a bak si lum school in LA.. (southern lineage of northern shaolin)...

not positive.

If that would interest you, I'd suggest asking at www.team-fu.com
      practice wu de

Comment

As far as Traditional Shaolin gongfu, there's no one here to teach it in LA; you'd think there would be but nope.

There is a Northern Shaolin (Sil lum) teacher in Northridge, who is quite famous. His name is Douglas Wong; I personally have never met him but heard that he is pretty good. For Taiji there is a wealth of teachers in LA. Tung Kai Ying of the Dong family of the Yang style of Taiji is very prominent in the LA Taiji scene; most who have studied Traditional Yang style in LA have learned from him; you can find him at www.tungkaiying.com . There are other schools, Taoist Institute in Burbank; they teach both Internal and External styles. The best thing is to look for yourself. there is a lot here, you just have to be willing to find it.
        "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

I live off Venice and Centinela.

Thanks to those who've tried to help me find some schools, have any heard of this school?

I'm just curious why he's called the Terrible Monk hehe!

Comment

In response to "The best thing is to look for yourself. there is a lot here, you just have to be willing to find it."

I have looked myself, it's not like there is a Shaolin section in the phone book. I've searched online, I've done much looking for myself, thus the reason I asked here for some help. I can find many schools, none of which is Shaolin.

Thanks for the info the Taji schools, but I am wanting more than just Taji, as I practiced both internal and external styles before. If anyone can provide me with any more information that would be greatly appreciated.

And to those who've posted already thank you very much for your help so far.

Comment

Working...
            X