Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living in the Ghetto

Hey guys,

I'm about to move out from my current living arrangements with my roomate to getting an apartment on my own. The place where i am living right now is pretty nice and not much to worry about. The place that i'm about to move to is a bad area (high crime, crazy people, drugs...). This will be my first time living in a rough part of town. Do any of you guys out their got any good advice for me before i make the big leap. thanks.

depends what u mean by ghetto. in what country ? guessing western.

well ghettos in eastern parts of the world are alot worser so maybe think of it in that context. hope u aint got a crack den above you because you will never get any sleep. crazy people are about everywhere it is just in nicer communitys they stay indoors because it is less acceptable than in a poorer regions. no doubt drugs are a problem but if u see kids on the street think how they must feel.
    dont become to friendly with people and dont accept things no matter how small otherwise u will be in there debt.
    get some good ear plugs. depending on if u are a heavy sleeper. remember there is a lot of hope in places where it aint all smiles just takes longer to see it.
    this is the way i go about life, if it is meant to happen it happens, there isnt nothing you can do to change a situation or to foresee events. if there was we all would have stopped 9/11. ( what happened to all the so called psychics on that day?)

If you are really concerned look for another room mate to move in with. but i think u will enjoy it. u will find the silver linen as do others who live there.

one thing u gotta promise and that is dont touch the drugs! seriously had alot of friends lose alot, some still think it is the best path they could have chosen, but really its not. but again drugs are as much if not a bigger problem in richer communitys, plus at least you can travel out because you have friends out of that community. all the best and keep us posted. on the decorating and stuff.

Comment

that's a pretty strange topic for this forum. if you can afford it at all, stick to a good area, man, even if you have to settle for a much smaller apartment. it's worth it just for peace of mind.
      but since this is a shaolin website, i'm assuming that in some way your post is asking for tips on self-defense and that kind of stuff. my only advice in that department is, some of these kids that grew up in bad spots are tough in a way that years of MA won't make up for, so don't mess with them. but again man, the best way to keep yourself safe is to stay out of there in the first place.

- zach

Comment

hey man I lived in east oakland on and off my whole life so just do what I do and did just dont mess with no one just mind your own bissness and if some one dose try to hurt you or fight you at all just do not talk **** unless you can relly fight ok cause they will beat your ass. OK just find the good people there and leave the others alone
        lil monk

Comment

Yes.

Don't.

And follow Joehaz's advice. Best thing he's ever said on this forum.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

thanks Doc hahaha mybe I'll keep it up naaaaa
            lil monk

Comment

Baljeet, not trying to sound mean or nothing here, but 9/11 COULD have prevented. And it's not just some insane dude on the street corner saying this, but many investigative reports around the world. Even a few here in the States, though not many since we have so much censorship. Many things have come into question, like why were the planes not spotted or guided (or if necessary) shot down; they could have easily spotted them. The Gov't always has top-of-the-line Jet Fighters that could get to any place in New York in about 10 minutes, yet they were told to stand down. Also, many of the richest, more "important" people that worked in the WTC got memos saying not to take any flights or go to work that day. Let's see, what else, the very, very, very, wealthy Bin Laden family (who have SUPPOSEDLY denounced Osama Bin Laden) are best friends with the Bush Family, (since they have ties to one of the most oil-rich lands in the world today, perhaps?) There was even a guy in the FBI, who had worked his ass off for years, investigating into terrorist activities against the United States; after a while he found out that quite a few were planning on attacking the United States, and suggested our gov't to get movin' ASAP; sadly, his superiors didn't want any part of it. The guy got so frustrated, he quit his job. The next job he got was working in some sort of security branch in the WTC. Ironically, he was at work on September 11th; he was killed when the towers collapsed, and sadly, was never able to bring these issues to the public. Oh well, anyway, there's still so much more to say, but, we're mainly here to talk about gongfu, not politics, so I'll stop there, heh heh.

PS. Wouldn't it be good if the traditional masters of Northern Shaolin (PekSilLum, Moi Fah, Tan Tui) united with the current traditional Shaolin Monks (like DeYang and DeCheng) and shared each other's knowledge? In this way, we could further promote and develop the traditional martial arts!
              a true gongfu system must have the four major aspects of combat to be complete, "striking", "Kicking", Chin'na (joint-locking), and Shuai-Jiao (Wrestling)... in addition it must combine the internal with the external...

Comment

read it and u dont sound mean. making your point. ive read all this too but dont know if it is true , alot what u say is in michael moores book dude wheres my country. but i dont believe alot of stuff what is coming out. if it could have been stopped then the government would have. dont know if they could have spotted the planes though. your right we should be talking about gongfu though!
                maybe start thread in appropriate forum.
                you got to think edventually wu shu will advance and will get changed by dedicated few into a whole new martial arts system in time.

Comment

oy.

Comment

Baljeet, not trying to sound mean or nothing here, but 9/11 COULD have prevented
                    MT, you've been out in the sun too long down there in central California. Come on man.

And reading Michael Moore as gospel?

Come on man...
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

the don't fly memo and don't go to work memo stories have been debunked.

snopes.com
                      spinsanity.com

two very good resources.

there are some other questions however which I feel do require investigation into the happenings of 9/11.

Why Bush wasn't immediately whisked away by SS guys when the planes were reaized to be weapons...why Card whispered into Bush's ear what was happening then just walked away without waiting for instructions...not crying conspiracy but would like to know. And the 9/11 commission is a fuçkery. Why did Kissinger step down? because he didn't want to disclose the fact that he sat on Trireme's board of directors? And who is Trireme? Cut away the bull**** and there is a kernal of truth.
                      "Arhat, I am your father..."
                      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Why Bush wasn't immediately whisked away by SS guys when the planes were reaized to be weapons...why Card whispered into Bush's ear what was happening then just walked away without waiting for instructions...
                        I don't see the issue. On the news that day, they were flying Bush around, not really sure where to deposit him. I don't think that there was any "plan" for an event such as this. And as for Card not waiting around for instructions, well, come on. That morning I had three of my Mexican workers with me. I was much too shocked to even give them instructions as to what to do in my backyard. They were too stunned to even start work that day.

I'm missing the point here Arhat. And, how was Jamaica?

russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc
                          [B]I don't see the issue. On the news that day, they were flying Bush around, not really sure where to deposit him.
                          Not at first. Watch the video of the day, when he's at the school. Card leans in, whispers to the pres about the attack, and that's that. Don't you think he would have waited for Bush to say something? It's pretty interesting. And of course they have all kinds of plans that don't require specific events to go down in order for them to be implemented. They would have had to assume, after the second plane, that there were potentially many more. ESPECIALLY after the Pentagon got hit. The SS would have assumed that the president was a target, and in situations like that they take over.

Sounds to me like your Mexicans are really Mexican'ts...

Jammyland was awesome. Heartbreaking to leave for a few reasons. Learned some interesting Jamaican firing techniques at a party. It's never really a party until the glocks come out. Anyway, after a few bottles of rum get consumed, I hear pop pop pop pop. I turn around and see a friend of mine popping off rounds at a coke can set up on a log. Couldn't hit it for the life of him. Then another guy yanks out his gun and just shoots the **** out of the ground at the base of the log.

So I was like, Jeeeeeeeeesus...I thought Busha was a lousy shot...so my other friend goes, Nah, man...he's taking out ankles...

Apparently the technique is a partner shooting thing. They just empty a clip at the ground in front of an obstacle, like a car or what have you, if the guy you are trying to get is behind it, hoping to skip rounds up to snag him. Then once he goes down, you can run away, have your crew run up to him and gut him, or whatever.

I also brought back two machettes, called Bills. I pput up a picture of the war bill I brought back last time. No bone stops them. Street equivalent of having like, a desert eagle down there. But I got a Maroon to teach me how to put 'soul' into the new blades so I kind of wanted two new ones after getting freaked out a little by the fact that the one in the picture used to chop people up. They take a glass bottle and bust it. Then they use an edge to carve out the handle to fit the hand of the user, so each bill is unique to it's owner. They also grind down the blade a bit, depending on if it's a war blade or for work. There's this hook thingy at the back end of the false edge that usually gets taken off if it's for war, and then they remove wood from the handle and from the back edge near the handle, to pitch the weight forward more...

And the women...oh lord the women...I'm in trouble, lol...
                          "Arhat, I am your father..."
                          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

haha...

okay, just making a quick reply here. First off, I NEVER said I had Michael Moore as my first and foremost source; it was someone else that mentioned him. He is NOT the only one who says these things, and he's not my "so-called" authority on citing these things. I've seen some of his books, they're pretty cool because he can combine a great sense of humor with wit. And he does bring up some good points, but he sometimes lets his emotions take over too much, and the objectiveness gets a little twisted. It's understandable though. There are much more detailed books on the subject however. One example is "The War of Freedom" by Nafeez M. Ahmed. This book not only covers the situation on 9/11, but also details American Foreign Policy. It also mentions things on Soviet Foreign Policy, the whole situation in Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. Remember Doc, you should know better than most poeple that, things are NEVER black and white. And George W. Bush always wants them to be Black and White. Terrorism comes from somewhere. It comes from hatred, but where does that hatred come from? We should always ponder, question, and debate. A TRUE patriot is someone who is willing to question his/her own government, and always willing to stand up for what's right for the PEOPLE, NOT some jackass who runs around waving a flag around his chest. Most of us in USA have NO IDEA what it feels like to bombed, day after day after day; to many people in the middle east, death has simply become common occurence. Yes, we lost 3,000 people in the WTC, yes it was horrible. But remember our little "Shock and Awe" campaign in Iraq? At least 9,000 people are being counted dead now. 9,000. Count 'em. And that was in a matter of months. Add to that the 500,000 (if not more) people that have died because of Horrendous sanctions form US/UK policy. It's kinda funny, you could still see that picture of Secretary of State Donald Rumsfeld shaking Saddam's hand in the 1980's. Some say, "well, it was to balance out against the threat of IRAN!" Of course, most won't tell you that the main reason Iran doesn't trust our nation is because way back, before Saddam got into power, we INSTALLED the "Shah of Iran". The Shah was a pretty nasty motha****er (excuse my language). This man was NOT democratically elected. He was basically a dictator. This man was responsible for torture, common rapings, random executions, secret police (trained and funded by, who else, the good ol' USA); and what happened after the people started revolting against the Shah? Did they bring him to justice? NOPE. Our government exiled him to safety. That's what sickens me about American Foreign Policy. I LOVE my country, because I love the PEOPLE and its core values. But we need to stand up for what's right; if we see our own gov't manipulating the people, whether they be our own people, or whether they be foreign people, we are ALL people. And we all deserve our basic human rights. I'm Mexican, so I've always been interested in Latin Americas history as well; the sad part is, no one talks about the atrocities the US has done to Guatemala, El Salvador, Peru, Nicaragua, Bolivia... does anyone here know Augosto Pinochet? He was a brutal dictator that ruled during, the 1970's if I recall correctly; he was well funded by the United States goverment, even though it knew damn well he was oppressing his people, driving his campaign through fear/terror, not social equality or democracy. Anyway, like I said before, there is still MUCH, MUCH more to say, but I don't want to go on too long here, gotta get to work, heh. Catch you guys later man, peace...
                            a true gongfu system must have the four major aspects of combat to be complete, "striking", "Kicking", Chin'na (joint-locking), and Shuai-Jiao (Wrestling)... in addition it must combine the internal with the external...

Comment

you see, mortal? now that's a real-life, honest-to-goodness liberal. lol...

- zach

p.s. wrong, meattosser.

Comment

Working...
                              X