is a secular monk a real monk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is a secular monk a real monk?

There is some thing that I still do not get it. Is a secular monk a real monk?.

Regards,
    Hector Villarruel
    Guadalajara, Jalisco
    Mexico

what's a secular monk?

Comment

Ever heard of a dictionary?

sec·u·lar ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sky-lr)
      adj.
      Worldly rather than spiritual.
      Not specifically relating to religion or to a religious body: secular music.
      Relating to or advocating secularism.
      Not bound by monastic restrictions, especially not belonging to a religious order. Used of the clergy.
      Occurring or observed once in an age or century.
      Lasting from century to century.

n.
      A member of the secular clergy.
      A layperson.

Monk ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mngk)
      n.
      A man who is a member of a brotherhood living in a monastery and devoted to a discipline prescribed by his order: a Carthusian monk; a Buddhist monk.

a 'worldly monk', now there is an oxymoron.

Comment

I think the term you are referring to is "su jia di zi" which translates into 'secular disciple". It doesn't mean monk!

A buddhist monk will be called a "he shang" or "seng".

Comment

Read up on Su Jia Di Zi in the Shaolin FAQ on this site.

New picture Cassius? Got anything you want to tell us?
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

I think it speaks for itself..

Comment

Thanks DOC. The FAQ answer my question.
              Hector Villarruel
              Guadalajara, Jalisco
              Mexico

Comment

Didn't you know? There are no real monks. They are just actors hired by the Chinese government with a backround in tumbling. I think a couple of them used to be clowns at the bejing opera.

If you really want to learn about acual fighting go find a strip mall school that teaches Hung Gar. The teacher will say it is tae kwon doe to appeal to the masses, but we know the truth.

Comment

oy.

Comment

I happen to think that was some good material.

Comment

I bet Mortal could beat up Yanming in a street fight, in front of Two Boots, with church shoes on, after a wushu class, taken by Yanming after 3 years, 2 years with Hengxin, one year of traditional with Li Peng, where he learned one chi-na move, maybe one take down from a kick, and maybe two applications from a form, but only because the teacher was trying to hook us in to his style because he knew our last teacher was strict and only showed the newer versions of the forms, and made repeat them a million times, not because he wan't you to one figure out the applications but because a performance was coming up and we had to look good for the high schoolers. Yanming would have a chance because Mortal studied for 5 months, on and off, in wing chun with jose grados, in the traditional Street Combat style the grados has proven effective in 300 street fights. How many street fights has Yanming been in? One when he was 13 one of his enemies on the Hunan Wushu Team, which he was on for years before leaving his wife and kids behind, shaving his head and moving to New York with Chen Ying. Oh, he got into that street fight because the enemy was learning all the cool forms and they stuck Yanming him with the kwandao. That slow weak weapon that the fat wushu monks learn. Yanming was always getting shafted so now after years of mental abuse he takes it out in the good students at his school by not teaching them any weapons. If you want to learn a weapon you have to go to china like CHIMAN. Has anyone every seen him do a tornado kick, i mean yanming, Mortal's is way better! I don't think yanming leaves the ground. By the way Jet Li is the real thing, you all just feek bad because you will never land on one foot with the tornado kick and you will never learn the applications to the mantis form, and you will never know chi-na unless you by the book ar take aikido.

Comment

LOLOL That was the funniest post ever!!!!! lol The funny part is how much of it is true.

Comment

wrong thread.

russbo is depressing today.

- zach

Comment

Funny post. What the hell. I have something to reply to it. But I don't want a reply. I'm just saying in my opinion because some people don't know what they're talking about. I just want to say.. first of all, Jet Li blows. And I can do a 540 tornado landing on the kicking leg. And I teach Praying Mantis Gong Fu and Qin Na. Haha.. anyway. No need to reply to me. I'm just thinking out loud. hmm..

Comment

Jet li is hands down better then anyone on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X