No announcement yet.

Schools in NY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What uniforms do you like? I like no uniform. The kungfu rags look. Popularized at Yan mings in the late 90's lol. ah the good old days.

Comment

my school is very traditionalist. everything's just the way it was in late 19th century china. we get the traditional pants with red stripes down the sides, the traditional cotton t-shirt with the school's name on it, the traditional black-and-red sneakers...

Comment

WUSHU

Comment

oooh....

Comment

Definitely check out these schools first-hand. Also know what you are looking for (sparring, forms, self defense, etc.) and how long you plan on staying. I've been training with SYM for about a year now and have learned two forms and a whole buncha basics. I can't say I've learned much application, (then again I haven't been there that long) so make that a consideration.

Comment

Two forms in one year? How does he run classes?

Comment

He runs classes single-handedly, mostly. He gets the more advanced students to do basics in the front while he helps the beginners in the back of the room. He also gets students to teach other students, which has its ups and downs. Forms come at the end of class, we line up and he corrects us.

Comment

If I were in NY,I will go to shi goulin.I think that he is better than yanming.
                  Shi yan xing is,.....well,I dont know,but I think that training with shi yan ming is a lot better than shi yan xing.
                  But the only thing I want is forms,wich master of those teach forms more?

Comment

Shaolintiger- Have you trained with any of the above said masters? And who is Yan xing?

Comment

Sorry,shi hengxin.
                      No I did not train with any of those masters,but I think that goulin is better.

Comment

Goulin is the least skilled of the New york masters. He is very talented but more into buddhism.

Comment

there are even rumors that Guolin learned a few of his shaolin forms here in NYC, from Yan Chang and Yan Ming...

He was Yan Chang's disciple before he became Yong Xin's.

In any case, he is a shaolin monk and that says quite a bit martially.
                          "Arhat, I am your father..."
                          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Arhat- Funny that you always bring that rumor up in almost all posts regarding guolin.

Comment

well you hear a lot of funny things Ted, especially when it comes to early NYMFC Shaolin.
                              "Arhat, I am your father..."
                              -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

I hear u. I also hear..... he just setup a new shop with new "monks" around the corner from you.

Comment

Working...
                                X