Schools in NY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schools in NY?

I just registered with the site. I am pretty much a beginner although I did study under Shi De Cheng 2 years ago for one month in China. Ever since I haven't really been practicing but would like to get back into it. I'm currently working in NY city and don't really have free time except for the weekends and was wondering what schools in the city were like. I did a bit of research and came across a few schools and have sort of narrowed it down to 2. Li Peng and Guolin schools are a bit further and due to time constraints I prob won't be able to attend their schools. so I'm trying to decide between Shifu Hengxin and Shi Yan Ming. Anyone have feedback on the either or both:

1. What is training like with them? Does one focus more on basics or forms than the other?
    2. How are their classes run?
    3. Class size?
    4. Do they actually teach or is it just their instructors?
    5. Costs and value? given that I can only go on the weekends.

I'm assuming Yan Ming has more students so his classes may be bigger and he is not always the one teaching but prehaps I'm completely wrong. Also, it looks like Hengxin's school is in a studio so I dunno if the equipment there is adequate? Also, anyone have opionions on the girl instructor Arlene at Hengxin's school?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions. I also looked into the Grandmaster Allan Lee's Chinese Kung Fu Wu Su Association. Anyone have opinions on that?

Thanks.

If I were you I would go with Chen Ying. He used to help Yan ming teach when he first came over. They have a great web site www.sifuchenying.com. Watch the video with his interveiw. Very cool. Also there are many ex-monk students at the school who are very skilled.

As far as Hengxins goes be careful it is very cultish. Arlene handed out a list of rules 3 pages long. All of which were created to prevent you from going to other schools. You won't like it. Your breaking the rules now just by being on the forum lolo.

Li peng is 6 blocks away from Yanmings down broadway in China town. Down to earth traditional Shaolin training. No cults just kung fu.

In my opinion Goulin Yanming and Hengxin are mostly just wushu. If you are more interested in forms these schools are for you.

Comment

Your breaking the rules now just by being on the forum lolo.
      Hahahaha.

I love it.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Doc I knew you would understand. lo

Comment

I also think Sifu Chen Ying is the best bet. I trained with Yan Ming for six years and Chen Ying for two (plus during the time he taught with Yan Ming). He teaches traditional six harmony fist, natural style boxing, and lohan fighting techniques, and modern wushu. You chose traditional or wushu when you sign up. Classes are small and he teaches every one. Look around. That's my two cents.

Comment

I'm seriously considering going to chen ying and I train with Lipeng(and every other monk in the new york area).
            It's not about how good they are, it's about how much attention they give you personally.

Comment

your weak son

in the past having the masters attention was due to how much effort you put in, traditionally the only way to really excell in the arts was to prove you were worth training

amitabha
              "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

That's not just in the past. But I guess to some Sifus it is.

Comment

I think I have put as much effort as anyone into my training.

Comment

Re: Schools in NY?

Mortal is the only one I know of posting here who has trained with both HX and SYM.

Heng Xin was brought over by Shi Guolin.

His studio is right around the corner from SYM's which I guess is why you are looking at these two- because of location.

I train with SYM.

[i]Originally posted by beginshaolin

1. What is training like with them? Does one focus more on basics or forms than the other?
                    At USAST class is 2 hrs. For the most part, line drills. You are expected to come early and start stretching and warming up, so that at 7PM you are ready to start. There is another stretch break about midway through- depends on the size of the class and how long it takes to get to Wai Bai tui. Then, after basics, in level One (there are only two levels) there are some basic forms.

2. How are their classes run?
                    SYM is very strict, and very demanding. There is no talking amongst students unless it is to urge each other on. The class is very formal.

3. Class size?
                    In general, night classes have a lot of people. 45-65 seems to be the spread. Day classes are much much lighter.

4. Do they actually teach or is it just their instructors?
                    SYM is *generally* at every class. He usually runs every level one class, unless it is a rare occasion that he is away. Some classes may have a senior student running the class. I actually like that, because then Sifu spends his time in the back going over stuff in greater detail. That normally happens, when it does, during level 2 or weekdays. Usually instruction is layered, which some people don't like. In other words, complexity gets added sometimes.

5. Costs and value? given that I can only go on the weekends.
                    If you can only go on weekends, which I did for a number of years due to where I live, then I know that at USAST you can pay by the class. That might be a smart option for you to exercise. I don't know if HX has that but I don't see why not. Another benefit to coming on weekends is that Saturday is Ch'an Buddhism class. To my mind, this class is super important because it gives you the framework upon which the gong fu hangs.

I'm assuming Yan Ming has more students so his classes may be bigger and he is not always the one teaching but prehaps I'm completely wrong. Also, it looks like Hengxin's school is in a studio so I dunno if the equipment there is adequate? Also, anyone have opionions on the girl instructor Arlene at Hengxin's school?
                    You are not totally wrong. When classes are big, usually a senior student will be assigned to you who can do the movement you are about to learn. They teach you the basic, and then while the rest of us are doing jumps/stretching SYM will go to the back to make sure- if he likes what he sees you may get to move on but usually you will just practice that one movement. If you don't get it he will then work to make sure you understand it and do it the best you can. If you do come to train, try and pay attention and try hard- because while he is helping you, he leaves us jumping.
                    Last edited by arhat; 05-06-2004, 06:21 PM.
                    "Arhat, I am your father..."
                    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Thanks for everyone's replies. Seems like a few of you are fans of Sifu Chen Ying. I'm a bit confused though because it seems like he doesn't have any Shaolin roots like the other schools do in NY. Does that matter? Are all those forms on his website Shaolin forms? and how long does it usually take to learn them? What is the difference between the wushu and traditional classes? What are the main differences between Chen Ying's classes and the other schools.

From my limited knowledge and enjoyment of Shaolin I like being able to apply the line exercises into the forms like lohan quan or meihua dao. These are examples of what I learned in China with Shi De Cheng for a month although I forgot most of it after 2 years. We would basically work the 1st hour doing line exercises of mabu, pubu, etc...then spend the next hour learning the form step by step. Within a week we would have completed an entire form. Obviously, I don't expect to do that as quickly here since I can only learn on the weekends, but that really for me at least was the most fulfilling...being able to or at least feel that I was able to perform a fist or sword or staff form. Nevertheless, I still understand the importance of doing the repetitive basics but it really is doing the forms that get me going.

So with that in mind as well as my limited amount of time, I know I probably am not the ideal gong fu student but I still enjoy doing it when I can. Going back to the schools in NY, I still am going to have to decide among Yan Ming, HengXin, or Chen Ying given their location in Manhattan. In response to someone's note on Li Peng, Li Peng doesn't hold classes in Manhattan on the weekends so that does me no good.

Thanks for everyone's insight and please respond with more. This definitely has been very helpful.

Comment

i want to hear more about this hengxin guy. he sounds like fun. does he have a website or anything?

Comment

"Arhat, I am your father..."
                          -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

I WENT TO VISIT A CHEN YING CLASS BECAUSE I WAS INTERESTED (WHICH BY THE WAY, EVEN BEING INTERESTED IN ANOTHER SCHOOL WILL GET YOU KICKED OUT OF HENGXINS). i THOUGHT HE WAS GREAT! HE OFFERED ME TEA!! YOUR NOT EVEM ALLOWED TO WATCH A CLASS AT HENGXIN'S AND CHEN YING WILL OFFER YOU TEA AND ASWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE. HE IS AMAZING!

Comment

i think their uniforms are cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X