Feeling sick while training: nausea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling sick while training: nausea

Hey Doc I have another question for ya. Last night during the middle of class, I got a pounding headache and was feeling really nauseated. It was so bad that I had to stop and sit outside for a while. It’s happen to me a couple of times in the past while training. Is this something that I should be concerned about? Thanx again..
    Amithaba

Are you sure you are drinking adequate amounts of pure water (not coke or anything else) and sugar?

Comment

Yah I don't drink soda, don't eat sweets, alcohol on few occassions but haven't drank in 2 months or so...
      Amithaba

Comment

How old are you? Any other health problems that you feel comfortable making me (and everybody else) aware of?

Lot's of things can cause this, ranging from inadequate water ingestion to intracranial masses. More to come....
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Hey doc,

I'm 24 years old. No health problems that I'm aware of. Last physical exam was about 3 months ago and I had a clean bill of health... I dunno it's weird. It only happens to me when I'm training...
          Amithaba

Comment

during this dissiness, does your heart pump extra rapidly? .. just had jo ask since i have this problem and though it VERY rarely happens to me, i still haven't found out what it is.

Doc, can an incidence such as Premier's be caused by not enough fat or a lacking depot of carbonhydrates in your body? .... if so, you need to eat more candy

Comment

Hey Asger,

My heart was beating rapidly but I don't believe it was abnormal. We were doing drills so I was a bit tired. My head felt like it was gonna explode and felt like i was gonna vomit and pass out as well. Oh well..
              Amithaba

Comment

well, how long have you been training? maybe your just not strong enough for the training

amitabha
                "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

LoL I've been training for more than 12 years or so.
                  Amithaba

Comment

Do you sweat alot when you train? Because, not to beat the dead horse, but those symptoms sound like dehydration. I've experienced them before, and I cured them with lots of water followed by lunch (beans rice and fish tacos) . Sometimes they call it summer heat in chinese medicine, but the idea is to drink lots of water, and cool yourself down. Bring some watermelon with you to class in case it starts happening again. If its summer heat/dehydration, watermelon will clear it up quickly. If it gets so bad that you pass out, take watermelon rind soup, which is just 10-20 g dried watermelon rind, and several grams of rock sugar, steeped in hot water. Don't ask how you make the soup while passed out though. That should be part of the training
                    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Hey daodejing,

I sweat easily. Just walking around the city and I can sweat but I'll try that watermelon suggestions. Thanx
                      Amithaba

Comment

I wouldn't eat anything at least 2 hours before class. And especially don't drink so much water before training. Water is a bad thing to have in your stomach while training. After training you can eat and drink all you want. Also don't eat or drink too little before class. That is also a bad thing. Eat a good meal about two hours before going to class. Drink enough all day. But not before class. And during class I wouldn't suggest water. You haven't eaten anything for a while and then you put water in there alone and get back to training. That's a bad feeling. If your mouth is dry just get water in your mouth. Don't drink a lot of it. If you must drink, I suggest gatorade. It's better and made to be a training drink.

a mi tuo fo
                        -Xing Jian

Comment

Well, you've given us one very important piece of information.

You're a guy. So, I doubt that your pregnant.

Which, is one of the most common causes of nausea. However, there are a myriad more. Some common, some esoteric. Some, esoteric and important to rule out. Let's discuss some of them.

As people have hinted already, dehydration can cause nausea in young healthy individuals. But, also, one must remember that it is just not the lack of fluids which can cause this sensation; the lack of electolytes in the blood, (sodium and potassium), can trigger all sorts of metabolic, cerebral, and cardiac disturbances.

In fact, it was during my first trip to Shaolin in 1995, that I had to play doctor far often than I desired. Of the fifteen or so of us who went on that trip, fifteen of us got really ill, with one thing or another. All but one developed signs and symptoms of electrolyte disturbances (muscle pain, weakness, nausea, dizziness, headache, vomiting, general malaise, etc). The guy that did well was the one that brought the Gatorade packets with him.

I had a discussion with him. Needless to say, he ended up sharing with all of us. I had to take care of the gang.

So, what you lose and what you take in, decide how you feel. Not enough water during a serious workout, and you get dehydrated. Too much water, and eventually, you lose electrolytes. A balance is needed. The sensation of nausea can be one of the first signs that the balance is off.

Replenishment of fluids and electrolytes are necessary. Again, too much water can actually make things worse, causing a drop in sodium levels in the bloodstream, causing what we call hyponatremia. This can lead to all sorts of nastiness, such as cerebral edema. Not too common in athletes, but common in the more "mind altered" individuals in our society.

But let's look at some other causes of nausea. For, what you describe, though common, should not really be happening to you. Unless, you are some sort of work out monster who thinks a really damn good sweat is good for you.

Motion sickness, whether it be sea, air or driving induced, pain, emotional stress, indigestion (like eating before working out), certain smells and other irritants, can all cause nausea. Also, gall bladder disease, heart disease (some cardiac problems initially only present as nausea, such as right heart cardiac ischemia, or, decreased cardiac output from congenital defects, can), food poisoning, viral infections (including hepatitis, meningitis, and gastroenteritis), and, abdominal disasters, such as appendicitis or blocked intestines, all can cause nausea. Intracranial masses, either as the result of head injury, or brain tumor, can also initially solely present as nausea. Migraines are a huge contributor to the nausea factory.

Well, there are a lot of things to think about here. It is not common to develop nausea during each and every work out. Especially not at your age. I suggest that you get a proper and complete physical exam by a proper physician.

Included in your workup, one might consider hepatitis antigen scanning, standard blood tests including thyroid panel, MRI or CT brain to rule out tumor and intracranial mass (very unlikely, but, very bad if missed), cardiac stress EKG, and an abdominal workup. You might want to evaluate what you are eating and drinking before and during your work out. This symptom of nausea is most likely just a signal that you are not well hydrated during work outs; however, I would be remiss if I suggested that that was solely the answer.
                          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

That's like my post only reasons why are explained.. in great detail. Better than the way I would say if I tried to explain. I would like to say the same thing just in my own words. But it would still be too easy to notice I copied. Can't follow a post like that. Uh.. Doc has good english.

a mi tuo fo
                            -Xing Jian

Comment

Doc has good english.
                              Gee. Thanks.

russbo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X