Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: taking down big guys

Yeah, uki goshi, harai goshi, and drop knee seo nagi are great hip throws for using against large folk as well. Drop knee seo nagi is alot easier when your opponent is taller than you. Some people cant do the throw right because they just grab the guys shoulder and drop, you need to get your grip, drop to get under his pelvis while keeping your footing, pop up your hips under his, and then come back down and drop to your knees. It's a lovely circular motion, but then all good throws seem to be........
    Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

It's a lovely circular motion, but then all good throws seem to be........
    I think you've caught a case of the correct and spread it faster than SARS..
    practice wu de

I can know what you mean. Usually I am the bigger guy, but I was practicing with a guy who had alot of muscle. And I could put him in an arm bar. I was talking with a black belt, and he said I should turn it into a lock. He also said you got to pick what you want to do on him. You could also try distracting him by pating his head or other body parts. Also, if you feel resistance, don't try and go with their strength. Go with it and use it to turn into something else.

Okay, I'm just going to go ahead and sound naive here ( and funnily enough on this one I am :P ) , and I realise that rules here are going to vary but what strikes are you usually allowed and what do you get to use to do it with?? Is there anything besides elbows that are usually restricted???

BL,
    Since the original post mentioned submission wrestling I'm gonna take a guess and say no strikes at all are allowed. Think judo but just no dogi.

And since I'm replying I'll give some more advice for taking down big guys: The technique that sticks out like a sore thumb for me is to shoot for the legs....being the shorter guy this should be no problem. My problem is that the usual leg takedown involves rolling into the legs with the shoulder; I still need lots of practice with this. I'm finding it much easier to instead lift up, upset his balance, and do a quick front sweep as per the front sweep of Decheng's jibengong. The landing position puts both your partner and yourself on the gound but the position isn't so bad.
    -Jesse Pasleytm
    "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Any chance you guys are talking in euphemisms?

SORRY!! sorry. Very sorry.

(bows head in regret)

g

spop is offline Registered Member: no custom title Registered Member
    Indonesian and Filipino styles have some great tricks for off-balancing big guys, you might look into these techniques a bit.

Silat has a lot of fun trips and sweeps which can help with throws and takedowns, whereas the answer in Kali styles is to offbalance and then punch the crap out of your opponent.

work on reading your opponents intent by checking his posture for any leaning weight on anywhich side. you can do this visually or by touch. gauge empty and full. wait till he leans forward slightly and throw him with o- goshi. or uchi mata. footsweeps are good too, also counter counter counter. stay off the offensive
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

I know how to take down a big woman. Tell her she is pretty and just big boned. Or jump on her shoulders from behind and sink in a deep choke hold.

i dont like big women, they smell like old ham... not that ive ever been with one...
    "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12