Fei Jing kung fu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fei Jing kung fu

Fei Jing (Soaring Eagle) is a family style which comes from the Hubei province, Wudang mountain. It is a very closed system (the style has been passed on strictly from father to son for centuries) and that is why very little is known about it. However, in 1981 one of the youngest members of the family - Li Han Ching - chose a few people from outside the family to teach them this art. One of these people was teaching in my country - Bulgaria - until he passed away a few years ago. His death was so sudden that he wasn't able to leave any information to his students about where other disciples of the Han family may be found. If anybody has even the smallest piece of information connected to this style I'd be most grateful if you're willing to share it with me. I know that many people who practice martial arts from all over the world come to this site (which, btw, is so great!), so my hope is that you cold have some info on this. Thanks for your time

One little correction to the text I wrote previously - I was just told that in english it is correct to write the name of the style as "Fei Ying", not "Fei Jing"

Comment

Well, there have been some people who have been to Wudangshan. I wonder if they know anything about this. I've been trying to go for years, and I just never got around to it. If I do it this trip, I'll definitely look into this.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Thanks very much for your time and help!!

If you do go to Wudang this time, here is some additional information on the syle. Perhaps it could be of some help in your search - the style is also known under the name of "Voto Vong" (that should be "Falling Leaf"). It's not in chinese, but in vietnamese, because in more recent times the style was practiced also at the territory that is nowadays known as Vietnam - members of the Han family lived in Vietnam, although they are chinese, and later Li Han Chi moved to Russa where he taught our teacher and a few other people (however we have no idea where any of them could be found for sure).
        I think it will also be easier if you have the name of the style as it should be written in chinese - I'll post the letters here a bit later.

Once again, thank you for your reply

Comment

this must be one helluva style for you to be some adamant about it

maybe you should tell us more about it

amitabha
          "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

well, it sounds internal, and it definitely has something to do with jing.

milena, do you know anything about vietnamese styles? have you ever heard of a "seven mountains spirit first" form of gongfu? there's a guy here in philly who teaches it, and he says it's be very popular in vietnam. i was just wondering if this was true or not out of curiosity.

- zach

Comment

Zachsan – I’m afraid I don’t have much information on Vietnamese styles including the one you’ve mentioned. So I couldn’t really determine if that guy speaks the truth or not. But I think that even if it comes out the style is not too popular all over Vietnam, it still doesn’t mean he is a liar, because it could be popular in the area of Vietnam where he came from. I had a similar experience trying to find if it’s true that Wing Chun is so popular in China (that’s what some people in Bulgaria claimed, which is hard to believe considering how big China is) so I asked my father to check on some books and DVDs when he was in Beijing. After hours of searching he finally found one DVD, but it really didn’t seem to be very popular there. On the other side in Hong Kong almost every person who has experience in martial arts can tell you about Wing Chun.

Maestro – it’s great you’re interested to know more about it, I’ll gladly post more info on the style. Here it goes:

As the legend goes the style was created by Taoist monks, it was built entirely on the Taoist teachings for the origin of Man and the Universe. According to the Han family (where, as I said already, it was practiced for centuries) a particular ancient manuscript was used as a source for the creation of the style. That is why every Tao in Fei Ying symbolically begins with a gesture similar to that of opening and closing the pages of a book – this symbolizes the ancient book of Wisdom which was used by the creators of the style.

The name of the style – Soaring Eagle – describes its special features and tactics. It is a “passive” style where every technique begins with a block and neutralization of the opponent’s attack. Fei Ying is not an imitative style. It is an internal style and it is more interested in the inner nature of the creatures rather than the imitation of their moves. The Eagle – this is the person who practices the style while the wind and the air draught which gives the eagle the opportunity to soar in the sky – this is the opponent. No matter how the wind changes its direction the eagle always finds a way to follow it. This is the essence of the style.

In the beginning the disciple learns proper breathing and a system for strengthening one’s Chi. This system includes 18 exercises. This Chi Gung complex has 3 aspects - philosophical – upon which it is build; health improving – which teaches “proper” breathing and its use; fighting aspect – every single exercise from this complex prepares a particular body part for the future fighting training. After that the disciple learns the different stances – the basics of the martial art. In Fei Ying for learning each stance in details and also learning how to move from stance to stance they are gathered in one Tao called the Way of the Stances. This Tao contains the classic number of stances – 8 (after the number of the trigrams).

After years of training, when simplicity of the principles and moves is finally achieved the opponent is to be defeated relying on skills and technique rather than on pure physical force.

From technical point of view this is a complete style. The disciple learns fighting at all levels – working on the ground; working from low stances – over your knee, or hip for attacking the groin, the knees and lower parts of the body; working from middle stances which allow attack of the groin and corpus; high stances where you can attack the head. Every part of the body is used for hitting – fists, palms, elbows, shoulders, head, pelvis, corpus, hips, knees, tibia, feet, fingers and toes. Every move and hit is performed through an impulse from the tan tien (I hope I spelled that correctly). There are five main trajectories that the body (or a particular part of the body) follows when moving. These trajectories are theoretically connected to the Five Elements. The trajectories are also connected to the five different types of “Dzin” (again I hope it is the correct spelling in English). The body is constantly relaxed and when, for example, an arm is being thrown for hitting over one of the five trajectories the spiral force “Chan Su Dzin” is used, and a flash before reaching the target the body reaches the state of full Yan (the person flexes the muscles) and after the hit it is relaxed again – full Yin. In this way it is possible to generate and throw out Dzin. The Five Elements are actually the five different types of processes in the Universe. If we define them in the fighting aspect of the art they are: Metal – corresponding to the good, stable stance; Water – motion; Tree – attack; Fire – defence; Earth – cunning. Each element responds to a type of creature and the Eagle unites them all. Here are some of the features for the techniques of each element (creature):

Metal (Tiger) – the work over this element is with very hard blocks and hits and the most important is the stable stance.

Water (Dragon) – always in motion when fighting, never being static, always changing your position when the opponent begins an attack

Tree – associated with constant change of balance of the body with the goal to surprise the opponent and strike at vulnerable parts of his body.

Fire (Monkey) – very fast moves, sudden change of levels of attack, direct counter-attack, lots of work on the ground

Earth (Snake) – short distance working, hits with fingers and palms in energy points of the body, sudden change of the line of the attack

According to these special features and the theory of how the Five Elements relate to each other a master can always choose the best way of working against the attack of the opponent. As the “rule” goes – The static work with a solid stance can be ruined by motion; The attack destroys the motion; The defence overcomes the attack; The defence can be tricked by cunning; Cunning can be defeated by the stable stance.

Also an important part of Fei Ying is striking at particular points of the body. There are 108 such points. Now there is lots of information on this topic in the book that I’m translating from, but since I don’t really have knowledge in these points yet I will not write more on the subject.

There are 18 types of weapons in Fei Ying some of which are – sword, broadsword, long staff, spear, two knives, two short staffs (shong bo), iron whip, eagle claws, three-section staff, double broadsword, etc.

All of the information I posted above is my translation on excerpts from the book “Wushu – schools and styles” whose author is Ivailo Ivanov. He was one of the senior disciples of the Master who brought the teachings of this art to Bulgaria – German Vinokurov. Nowadays, the book’s author is the only person who seriously continues the tradition and has a few disciples of his own.

As I’ve already said, our Master passed away about 10 years ago. It wasn’t a natural death, he was killed. Many people who practiced other martial arts have challenged him and have tried to defeat him with no success. In the end he was shot in his apartment. The police never really solved the “case”. May he rest in peace.

Comment

from what i understand it's true that wing chun is much more popular in the west than it is in china, mainly through the efforts of bruce lee. and in this context, hong kong is included when referring to 'the west'.

btw, sounds similar to ba gua.

Comment

brotherlaoqiang@yahoo.com

email this guy, milenna, he may know something or someone who knows something about your style

good info btw

amitabha
                  "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

try posting over at emptyflower also (www.emptyflower.com)
                    practice wu de

Comment

zachsan – yes, I absolutely agree with you about Wing Chun. But some people in Europe have great financial interest in keeping the myth of how ultimate and popular it is in China

Maestro – I will email this man as soon as I can, I hope he will have some info on the matter, thank you so much!

shaolinstylee – what an intriguing site (it also has great design), thank you for directing me to it!

Comment

Working...
                      X