Real country music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real country music

Ya'll know there are many sorts of country music... and by god save my soul from dolly parton and alike.

No, i'm talkin about real country music like hank williams, johnny cash, ernest tubb, dale watson....
    now, these are all fine, but i would like to hear some country music that goes more like THIS
    can anyone give some names of artists playing that kind of country?

Toby Keith(Best of the List), Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Alan Jackson....
    I hate Country Music... but I work too many shows in Vegas.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
    "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
    "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
    "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Oh c'mon Steve. That music is awful!! At least what i've heard of it has been too popish and is not what i'd categorize as "real country"....

Anyone who actually LIKE country?? hehe no offence steve (btw, get some taste!)

Comment

Like I said .. I hate Country Music.. just thought I would answer your question. And if you like country, you would never like the music I listen to, too rough for you.
        I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
        "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
        "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

A music thread. Nice.

Nothing to do with country music, but listen to these artists:

Godspeed You Black Emperor!
          Mogwai
          Kruder and Dorfmeister
          Theivery Corporation
          Morphine
          Barry White
          Jeff Buckley
          Boards of Canada
          Alan Watts
          Zero 7
          Bonobo
          The Verve
          DJ Shadow

Erykah Badu
          PM Dawn
          Mos Def
          Aaliyah
          A Tribe Called Quest
          MC Hammer!
          Outkast

Composers:
          Mozart (especially his Requiem)
          Carl Orff (especially Carmina Burana)
          Danny Elfman (Batman)
          John Barry (James Bond, Game of Death)
          Bill Conti (Rocky)
          The Godfather sountrack

Comment

too rough you say?? Lemme give you a fast fiddle and some bluegrass banjo so swiftly played you won't even be able to grasp it.
            What could be more rough than that?

Comment

Bluegrass is for Hicks

This kid could probably play better.
              Attached Files

Comment

That's neither a banjo nor a fiddle

Comment

Godspeed You Black Emperor! - good when you're feeling dramatic
                  Mogwai - skilled yet boring
                  Kruder and Dorfmeister
                  Theivery Corporation - hell yeah
                  Morphine
                  Barry White - haha
                  Jeff Buckley - hallelujah
                  Boards of Canada - i love this band, especially that song where they just keep saying "orange"
                  Alan Watts
                  Zero 7
                  Bonobo
                  The Verve - great while they lasted
                  DJ Shadow - yes

Erykah Badu - nope
                  PM Dawn - hell no
                  Mos Def - eh
                  Aaliyah - hell hell no
                  A Tribe Called Quest - yup
                  MC Hammer! - nope!
                  Outkast - not bad

Composers:
                  Mozart (especially his Requiem) - yup
                  Carl Orff (especially Carmina Burana)
                  Danny Elfman (Batman) - eh
                  John Barry (James Bond, Game of Death) - nope
                  Bill Conti (Rocky) - nope
                  The Godfather sountrack - alright

zach's prescription for country music lovers:
                  nothing but led zeppelin for two weeks, then, jane's addiction for a week, and finally, alternating between jane's addiction and the pixies for another week.
                  we can beat this thing.

- zach

Comment

I guess I should add some more to the music list, I listen to various types of music, but my main love is hardcore/underground hip-hop...

Mos Def - Yeah, repping Brooklyn (check out his album with Talib Kweli, "Black Star"), solid actor too.

Tupac Shakur - Classic, hell of a good actor in movies too.

Big Punisher - honestly would've been a legend if he wouldn't have died so young...

Saigon - Up and coming MC, has crazy street tales and a razor-sharp flow... one of my favorites... he's already helping out his community, starting a project called Abandoned Nation...

Immortal Technique - Ha, also one of my favorite MC's here, highly recommended, he's bound to blow up, his mic skills and flow are brutal and relentless, check out his song "Peruvian Cocaine", genius concept. Also, if you have the chance, see him LIVE next Saturday, June 5th, he's gonna be in LA at El Rey Theater along with KRS-ONE! I'll be there, heh heh. Not many people can rock a stage the way he does.

KRS-ONE - One of the best rappers of all time, period. (See above, he'll also be on stage LIVE in LA.)

Jean Grae - Forget Foxy Brown, or Missy Eliot, the girl is NICE on the mic. Rock-solid punchlines and flow. She's featured on Talib Kweli's "Beautiful Mixtape" and "Foul Play's **** tha Industry Mixtape"

Talib Kweli - Solid all-around MC, especially when he teams up with Mos Def or Hi-Tek...

Nas - One of the hip-hop greats... check out the "Illmatic 10th Anniversary Edition"

Poison Pen - Part of the infamous Stronghold Crew, his album, "Money Shot LP" isn't out yet, but he already has quite a few tracks with other MC's like Immortal Technique, Pack FM, C-Rayz Walz, Breez Evahflowin'; he's also featured on the "Foul Play **** tha Industry" mixtape.

C Rayz Walz - With some of the most insane punchlines and metaphors in years, C Rayz's flow is crazy. You gotta hear him to know what I mean; he's also part of the Stronghold Crew. He has quite a few albums, including The Prelude, Singular Plurals, Limelight, and his latest, under the Def Jux label, Ravipops (the Essence).

Brother Ali - Up and coming MC, powerful, relevant lyrics and rock-solid flow. He's also Albino and a Muslim. Now THAT is rare, haha. He's on the Rhymesayers label in Minneapolis. Check out his album "Shadows on the Sun" and his latest EP, "Champion".

Rage Against the Machine - Regardless of their political views, you can't deny that they had passion on stage. It's too bad they separated, they kicked ass. I loved the song "Renegades of Funk" since it was sort of an ode to Hip-Hop.

DJ Premier - Not an MC, but one the greatest DJ's of the past decade.

DJ JS1 - Still a pretty young DJ, but makes some tremendous beats filled with skilled scratching.

There's more to mention, but I don't want to make this list TOO long, heh heh heh.
                    a true gongfu system must have the four major aspects of combat to be complete, "striking", "Kicking", Chin'na (joint-locking), and Shuai-Jiao (Wrestling)... in addition it must combine the internal with the external...

Comment

Country this...

Originally posted by Asger
                      Oh c'mon Steve. That music is awful!! At least what i've heard of it has been too popish and is not what i'd categorize as "real country"....

Anyone who actually LIKE country?? hehe no offence steve (btw, get some taste!)
                      ok, that music is awful?.. Toby Keith at Country Music Awards in Las Vegas, the other night won: ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR, TOP MALE VOCALIST, VIDEO OF THE YEAR and ALBUM OF THE YEAR.... with Alan Jackson and Kenny Chesney nominated in the same catagories ...guess that is not what is "real country" ? At least I named some country acts unlike the others.
                      Who needs to get some taste now?
                      Last edited by Steve; 05-28-2004, 09:12 AM.

Comment

hasn't britney spears won a grammy?

Comment

touche

Comment

HUH..

What does Britney Spears have to do with Country Music?
                            Anyway, her first three albums have sold approximately 54 million copies worldwide, so someboby must like her.

Comment

Steve, people generally just have no taste.... just like somebody i know
                              If you want to know what REAL music is, just ask me, and nobody else, and don't ever believe numbers, only if from me that is of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X