give up the monks, Doc the evil one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• give up the monks, Doc the evil one

Hey! I wanted to know more about quitting the monks. I hope to become a monk someday and work very hard for! Not only a layment monk.. But i guess we cant accept to be a monk, the 5 precepts, and all and after give up and create a family. It's maybe stupid but i want to live the two style of life. Is there a politic on that? Is there some consequences like we cannot join after if we change of idea or a total dishonnor, you know what I mean? I hope you can answer this question. I looked in the site but I didnt find what i wanted to know..
    =========
    Peace out!

Look in the Shaolin FAQ, under Su Jia Di Zi.

It's not an uncommon thing to do.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

In general, imho, if you're untertaking any massive life change with the assumption that you'll abandon it after a while, its not the right thing for you to undertake in the first place.
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

what do you mean? i think it's a great idea. like when i started smoking. i told myself, "i'm gonna do this for a while, but i'm gonna quit eventually..."

Comment

zachsan, its exactly what i mean! I dont like smoking but i want to become a monk and after quit to pass to another thing... I know i shoulndt do that.. Only stay a the temple and dont accept the rules is better. Maybe im still a north american and i'm saying in my head "Oh yeah i want to have the title SHAOLIN MONK, its cool" but im sure there is another part more true (i want the spiritual life and all the rules of monks).. anyway..
          =========
          Peace out!

Comment

well then what you've gotta do is just figure out the goals you're trying to achieve with this. if the spiritual life and the discipline are what you're looking for, you can do all that without going to the monastery. if you think it would be cool to be called a "shaolin monk", well, that you can't really get without going to the monastery. so go ahead. but you might want to weigh the coolness benefits against the sacrifices, which you can find out a lot about on this site...

me, i'm already the coolest ****er in the world, so forget shaolin. all you need to do is rock.

Comment

key guitar solo....hot babes enter stage left...
              "Arhat, I am your father..."
              -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Chen Zen, didn't you ask this on another forum? I thought we had an understanding. Haha, anyway. Good to get more than one opinion. For other people on this forum thinking the same thing. I will copy my post from the other site.

A lot of monks have families. I'm not gonna name all the names. But there are quite a few. Zhang Li Peng has a family but he is no longer a monk. He spoke openly about why. But these other guys are still monks yet have families. Mostly the monks outside of China. In USA and Europe. I don't know how or why. But it seems they chose the normal life when they got to these other countries. Yet still keep their title of being whatever generation Shao Lin monk. This sounds silly to me. But it's a great money maker if you are known as a Shao Lin monk. So they keep their monk names and status but start a family. It seems like cheating the temple and vows and only keeping Shao Lin's name for money and fame. Notice how many of these guys have been in magazine covers and tv shows. But if they can do it, I see no reason you can't. But if I were you and I wanted to become a monk of Shao Lin I would think about what it means. And stay true to the name of Shao Lin. Don't go against your vows to the temple, your master, and buddha. If you wish to have a family after you become a monk, take back your vows and leave monkhood. Like Zhang Li Peng. But it seems very disrespectful if you take your vows knowing that you want to leave them someday. So better than taking back your vows is to never become a monk. It doesn't matter what you become. What you are called. You don't need to become anything to do what you wish. Becoming a monk though takes vows to the temple, your master, and buddha. If you can't keep them, don't make them.

A mi tuo Fo
                -Xing Jian

P.S. I expect Doc to say somethings trying to back up these monks. But it's true. This is what they do. Seems these vows don't mean as much as they used to. A shame.

Comment

I'm not going to say anything to back up these monks that you refer to. I have to agree with you. There are some that are leading lives not consistent with their monkhood, whatever that means, lol. Without a doubt. But, as we've discussed before, some of your information is wrong. You've been misled about certain people, for reasons I don't understand.

But, it is not the purpose of this forum to start attacking these guys, or, to uncover parts of their lives that I feel should remain private, for the sole reason, that is is "their lives". We have no right to judge them, even though we may not agree with what they do.
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                  russbo.com

Comment

Right, I don't wish to judge them either. You're right. It's their life. Even if we don't agree with one thing or another. It's all on them. They make their choices, we make ours. Just want to tell Chen Zen and whoever else, don't take a vow that you know you can't keep. It's disrespectful in the first place. To your master, the temple, and buddha. I would feel guilty going in to take my vows knowing that I will take them back after a little while.
                    So if you even have that idea in your mind about leaving, you really shouldn't do it in the first place. It's not very honest.

A mi tuo Fo
                    -Xing Jian

Comment

Well, its not disrespectful if i want only to try.. A lot of people will want to do something but not for all their life. I thought again, and i don't want to completly give up the monks, i hope i can be at the shaolin temple to become a complete martial and buddhist monk and after become a kind of layment monk. Maybe start a gong fu school some where and have a wife/children because i believe in family values. I'll continue my spiritual training, the research of enlightenment. I don't think its really disrespectful to buddha. To my master maybe, but you know i'm at a wing chun scool now, i know i'll leave him to go in china. Disrespectful is not the good word i think. I'll let him there, i'll tank him for all his art he gave me. His fun is to show martial arts to people, his art with his comments. I'll remember all that and i'm going to follow the line. Is it really disrespectfull? Disrespectful to the temple... They will figure out that i still like family values. I'm going to still think about them, buddha, the temple, my master..
                      =========
                      Peace out!

Comment

According to my humblest opinion, you are right ChenZen.
                        Forget the idiom "Best to do nothing, than to do something half the way".
                        There are many many monks who have left the monkhood to lead another way of life.
                        Unless you're a complete moron who understands nothing at all, such profound teachings as the Buddhas are bound to reside within you the rest of your life. Thus it is better to study a little than not to study at all.

Comment

monk ?

May I ask why you wish to be a monk ? or you just want to be a "shaolin monk"?
                          Do you know whats the meaning to be a monk?
                          You can train hard without being a monk, and u dont need to wear one of those
                          orange or grey robe to be good at Shaolin Kung fu. I guess the so called "shaolin
                          monks" in the last generation has changed the whole concept of true buddhism.
                          Being a monk is not for fun or be a monk because u want to learn shoalin kung fu.
                          People should resepct the Chan Buddhism.

Comment

That's what I'm saying Hinman. It isn't studying a little and then leaving that is disrespectful. It's taking the vow knowing you will leave that is disrespectful. It's not the same as going to your Wing Chun master to learn. It's not the same as opening a book on buddhism to study a little. Those can be left. But to become a monk it takes vows to your master, the temple, and buddha. Lifetime vows of loyalty to each. Vows are a big thing. Like marriage vows. You don't take the vows standing up there with your soon to be wife knowing you will leave her later after "trying out" the married life. Then go back to a dating life. You can't do them both. Because you took a vow. Until death do you part. Things may not work out later and you divorce. But you don't go into it thinking you will leave. You take those vows because in your heart you feel you will be with them forever. Same as these vows to the master, the temple, and buddha. It's a lifetime bond. A vow that shouldn't be broken. You can learn Gong Fu from anyone, read up on buddhism. But to become a monk you take vows. If you know what the vows are you will see it as disrespectful. The vows are devoting your life to the study of buddhism and loyalty to your master and the temple. And to never leave them. That's the difference. You are mixing them up. Thinking you can do it a little while then leave. Like going to your Wing Chun school to practice a bit and to open a book on buddhism to study a bit. It's ok to leave that. And not disrespectful to your master. It's when you take a vow to them that it becomes disrespectful for you to leave. When you go in to take your vows, if you have it in your mind you will take them back. That is disrespectful. Just like standing with your soon to be wife before the priest and looking her in the eye and telling her these vows that you will be with her through anything all of your life. How can you look her in the eye standing before a priest and tell her this when you know you are just "trying out" the married life, but will leave her. I don't know how you could take vows to become a monk knowing that you will leave it. You take your vows with your master there, in front of buddha, people representing the temple. And you are thinking this is only a little while then you will leave? It doesn't work like that. You said you thought more. Well you still need to think. Think about what a vow really is. As I keep saying, it's not going to learn from your master as his student or reading a book on buddhism. It's becoming a disciple of him and taking a vow to buddha to devote your life as a monk in studying buddhism. A vow isn't simple. It's a big thing. And shouldn't be taken knowing it will be taken back. That's disrespectful.

A mi tuo Fo
                            -Xing Jian

Comment

i don't understand. i'm from philly.

Comment

Working...
                              X