Where to train in America?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to train in America?

Alot of stuff on this site seems to be about going to China. I think it would be alot more realistic to train in American than to go to china, since it would bea culture shock. I'm just curious what opportunities are here in the United States to train with a monk? I posted earlier but, I can't find that post. I know there is a training in New York, and Las Vegas.

I'm not really interested in wushu. I would be interested in learning weapons forms, more than empty hand forms. Also I'm wondering, if studying other arts would hold me back? I have a little karate training (little compared to those who have been practicing for decades).

I study at a local school, in my area. My teacher likes it when students bring back new things. I'd prefer to start like a short period, before making the jump to move.
    http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Um, well, there are several monks in NY, and several in Texas, plus Doc's school in Vegas with Xing Wei.

Did you have a question, or what are you trying to get from your comments? Sure, China is a culture shock, but so is moving from NY to Alabama.
    practice wu de

Comment

From what I know none of the monks would let you walk in and start on a weapon or animal style.

You have to endure several months or years of training basics. They are picky about when they teach certain stuff ot their students.

I trained for 3 years before I touched a weapon.

Comment

Depends upon who with and where you train.
        Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
        russbo.com

Comment

Name them.

Not only that but those forms would look super weak if done with no basics.

I saw a fat kid doing drunken style at a tourney once. lolol He looked like he was throwing himself all over the floor for no reason. It was funny as hell.

I took a praying mantis seminar after a year and a half of gung ho training. It looked and felt very weak and empty due to my lack of basics.

I would train basic for a while first. When that is no longer a challenge then learn a weapon.
          But again from what I know they will not teach you that stuff right away.

Doc

Are you saying you teach any weapon or animal of a new students choosing? If so I need to make a trip out there. I have many requests. lo

Comment

there are a lot of gongfu schools that begin training an animal form right off the bat, with the theory that doing them slowly with proper stances builds up the body to where it needs to be in order to finish the form.

Comment

True and most of them suck.

We are talking about training under monks. Not pot bellied sifus from Kentucky teaching Hung gar in the local strip mall.

Monks teach you when they feel your ready not the other way around.

Comment

I don't really like that for some reason... There are other very talented people out there that teach other than monks.

"Monks teach you when they feel your ready not the other way around."

I think it should read more like:

"A good Shirfu/sifu/shifu will teach you when they feel you're ready, not the other way around."
                practice wu de

Comment

Not if they are teaching animal styles to beginners.

Thanks for the correction. It is still saying the same thing.

It amazes me that when I take the most correct path people disagree with what I say. I've trained with the monks I know how they teach. I am giving him advice so he doesn't waste his time. If everybody wants to start bringing up other masters then start a new thread. This one is about going to a monk master and telling him to teach you an animal or a weapon with no shaolin experiance. Not gonna happen. That is pretty much it.

Comment

We generally start with basics and then early hand form stuff. But the addition of gun (staff) training occurs rather early. And, we can cater private lessons to people's liking. Generally, we teach it as Shi De Cheng teaches it. As he was taught it.
                    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

where to train in America

What I'm looking for is where to look. Some advice, some direction, some conversation, basically I'm doing some research. I'm kind of trying to look for something to broaden my horizens. I would like to study a different system, just to know what differences are out there.

From what I have heard, there are differences in the animals. I am currently studying the Snake, Crane, Tiger, Leopard, and Dragon. There taught in the forms of kempo's first. I've also studying knife techniques, club, jui-jutsu's. As I have said, I'm still learning. I prefer the tiger, I'm bigger than most people, a little stronger, and I like to sneak things in.

I'm currently studying, Shaolin Kempo Karate(brown belt), and Escrima Kubato (blue belt, not the offical weapons system of the system, but it's taught in mainly of the schools so I have heard.). Yeah I understand starting over in another system, I had to learn some things. From my experience though, people who have trained in other arts, pick things up faster. Yeah, I understand they are going to want to make sure I know the basics. Keep in mind, I'm not going to start tomorrow either I want to earn blackbelts in Shaolin Kempo Karate, and Escrima Okinaween before I make the leap. Time will tell whether or not I will be able to do it. There are few people in the weapons class, and one person is going to Iraq as a medic. Please pray for his safe return.

The escrima kubato system goes to black belt and then a person picks a specialty. After that, my teacher has cane forms, and a few other things I wish to study, and a tai chi sword form. But there is not like another degree after that. The main weapons in the system are the bo staff, and escrima sticks, which are my favorites. I have about five forms for the bo staff, with two that are the near the same. Personally, I dont' know if I like the other weapons in the system, but out of respect I train with them. It also kind of gives me a base to work with.

My teacher has quite a nice facitility for the area. It has a bunch of weight machines, I use which I'm getting back into, and some other things. There are alot of equipment to train with. Personally, I think I could not ask for a better instructor.

Eventually I would like to start my own school but I am young. I'm only 21, personally I think it would be better to start a school at age 40, since one would then have the experience to deal with things better. Perhaps, a satellite school (although he has several other studio owners he is working with). Then bring on a partner, and train him to run the school. I dont' know yet. I just want to let it flow. To go to China, I would want to know chinese. The think with studying with a monk, is you know they are pretty much for real. I have non-monk people to train with already.

My teacher says, he has learned his lesson and he takes someone with him when he goes to seminars. I think I would like to do the same. I would like to teach weapons, when I am good enough, my teacher said he will let me. My teacher may like more bo staff forms. Well, we'll see how good I get. I've been practicing throwing my sai's at weeds trying to hit it's roots.

Mortal thank you for your comments. I appreciate the time you took to write you response. Same thank to the rest.
                      Last edited by agreenknight; 06-09-2004, 05:26 AM.
                      http://www.blogger.com/profile/16155538

Comment

Your very welcome.

Good luck.

Comment

"Shaolin Kempo Karate"? I can think of a few schools that have used that name. Bizarre amalgam of terms, but, hey, it makes money.

Forgive my impertinence, but you do need to broaden your horizons.

russbo.com

Comment

Regarding order of learning stuff, my recent Sifu has open my eyes to another way. Previously, under SYM, we learned forms in a particular order that was listed on the wall there. When I joined up with my current Sifu, he asked me, "what do you want to learn?", and I saw him do this with other students too. The way it works there is , if you're brand new, you'll do basics and forms he chooses for like two or three forms, then he'll either ask a student what they want to learn, or from getting to know the student's skill and body type, will suggest a style or weapon.

There is something to be said for master knows best, but allowing the student to choose has benefit too. For example, if the student wants to learn staff, it may be because he has a natural affinity for it. By promoting that, you can easier guide that student to his maximum potential. Also, when someone loves what they are doing, they are more likely to work hard on it.

Comment

What I find interesting is that you are and want to learn all these forms but it seems that you are grazing them in a very shallow way. Escrima is a very good system, I have friend who knows escrima and does it very well because he understands it.

For me, the one thing that I like about the Internal Arts is that there are not a lot of forms to learn but what you do learn you really have to know, to understand. In most Chinese Martial Arts, there are surface level applications, and then there hidden applications. You can always adjust a move to fit the circumstance as well, so you really don't have to learn a lot of techniques but how to modify the few moves to fit the situation.

In Buddhism it is called Skillful Means; the ability to apply something depending on the time and place. If you cannot do this in a fight than you should not be called a Fighter. Most people think that because they train in some system of fighting (boxing, gongfu, karate, etc.) means that they are a Fighter; personally this is a term reserved for only a select few. Not everyone can be a Fighter; just the way it is, and it also doesn't just refer to physical fighting.

peace.
                              "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Working...
                              X