alternitive to weight training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doc,

If I ever went to train in Pukhet, it would be in your gym, no kidding.

This time i'm going to a famous camp in Bangkok, and I know the air is bad, the facilities are old school, and the regime gruesome. But see I'm looking forward to meet the Champions, see their fights, train with them, go to Lumpinee and Radja...An old dream as a Muay Thai fan.

I know it's probably nicer in Pukhet but that's not what I'm looking for at the moment.

For the readers, about Malaysia, well a country I know fairly well because my girlfriend is from there and I go there often, is a beautiful country, well preserved, full of treasures still to be discovered. If you know where to go, you can find the most beautiful places in the world, from virgin jungle with waterfalls in the hills to the nicest virgin white sand beaches where there is no-one else but you (and a few thousand fishes).

People are very friendly -that's what they're famous for, what did your friends tell you about Malays?- and don't want your money as bad as the Thais -if u see what I mean. But it's true in the North near the border they're pretty rough but hey why go there?

The main reason why less "farangs" go there is because:

-there are no whores
    -there are no drugs (drug=immediate death)
    -u have to behave decently

So you see why lots will find it boring?!LOL See, you can't buy a child for a couple of bucks...Sucks innit?..........

Thailand is beautiful too but unfortunately polluted by tourists, and not the best type.

So, if u ever plan on going to South East Asia -and you don't need to pay for sex- don't forget Malaysia it's worth it (and there is a Shaolin Chin Woo association in KL that is apparently the best in south-east Asia for the afficionados -PM me for the address, difficult to find it but they take foreigners).

Cheers!
    The East? The West?

Men and Women, that's all...

Comment

I haven't been there. I'm just reflecting upon what others who have spent time in KL have told me. They find Singapore much more attractive for their visa runs.

And did we here in Thailand just get "slapped"? Thailand is full of misbehaving whore mongering pedophiles?
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by flow

So I'm going to do like Monday, Wednesday and Friday of the full-body workout. Then on Tuesday I'll do Day 1 and on Thursday Day 2. I just don't understand the word "supersetted" does it mean I should add extra sets for some/every exercise? (English is not my mother tongue). Is the routine going to be cyclical like A1, B1, C1...or linear like A1, A1, A3, B1, B2 ...?
        The letters in numbered sequence are exercises that you pick per workout. For instance, on your first workout you want to do A2 instead of A1. For your next exercise you choose B3. The letters represent exercises that will essentially work the same thing, the numbers are a different exercise choice.

A superset are two different types of exercises done back to back, usually to conserve time and up intensity. In this case I am referring to a superset where you would do one set (Let's say a C group) and immediately after do the next group (D) and return to the first after a rest interval (C). I made the list in such a way that if you wanted you could superset one exercise group with the following. This is because the exercises I listed work primarilly agonist pairs with eachother. The biceps flex the forearm, and triceps extend it. Working these two back to back causes little fatigue, as they are using different functions of the body.

For instance, you will be able to superset chin ups with overhead pressing because they do not work the same muscles. So while your latissmus dorsi and biceps are resting, you'll be doing overhead presses, which work your deltoids and triceps. In general.

The upper and lower split is different from the fullbody routine. You should not do both. The upper/lower split was shown to you in case you didn't want that much volume in your workout, as you may have already been tired from MA training or whatever else you did that day. The upper/lower split would essentially be the same thing repeated all week. Workout 1, Workout 2, Workout 1, Workout 2. You should workout maybe 5 times a week at the most, for either schedule.

The fullbody routine typically looks like: Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Or Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Whatever you want.

One last question, how do you warm up and down? Do you stretch before and after? And should I start by lifting 80% of my body weight or less/more?
        Definately warm up first. Generally you want to start out with light weights for a few sets (doesn't count as a work set unless you want to). You want to run through the exercises you'll do with the light weights before you progress. I am not a fan of static stretching preworkout as it relieves muscular tension (muscular tension is what you want when lifting weights. It's how you lift the heavy shit). Instead, I do dynamic stretching-- bringing the limbs and muscles to work in their full range of motion. This means controlled arm circles, bodyweight squats, general loosening up type stuff.

Furthermore, I don't know anyone who could help me with that as you do.
        Well you met me on a forum, didn't you? And only you can help yourself. The knowledge you gain from reading articles and the wisdom you receive from applying it will be more than anyone can give you, period.

So that's nearly about it, I'll be in Msia by the 1st of June, and after 20 days incorporating weights in my training i'll let you know how much I have benefited from it. I then head to Thailand where I might not be able to lift as much (6 hours boxing a day, extreme soreness) but will definitly go on with it afterwards if i really find it worth the time/energy investment.

See ya

Flow
        Be aware that there is no guaruntee. Although beginners often see huge amounts of progress in a short period of time, everyone is different. Progress could be tangible or it might be abstract. I feel like a salseman now, but look, even if you don't become 1000x more awesome, this kind of training is rewarding. It might not be today or tomorrow, but all it takes is hard work, time, and lots of nutritious food.

(which brings me to another point-- without the proper nutrition and diet, you will see slow or no progress.)
        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Doc, certainly did not mean to offend anyone and if I did I apology. Thailand is a wonderful country. But myself not being the typical sanctimonious type of dude, I still find what happens there really disgusting.

When you see planes full of mature single men leaving for Bangkok every single day (I used to work in an Airport, I've seen the queues before check in...), 365 days a year, you know they're not all business men. Not all pedophiles either but certainly not angels if u see what I mean?!I see them as hogs, consumers...But anyway the Thai know who is who there is no doubt about it, they get the respect they deserve -I hope?

I say this is also Thailand's fault to encourage and protect these men who come to consumme human bodies... led by poverty to the meticulous destruction of their bodies and souls. And worst is, if they stopped coming, the country would collapse. The young teen will still have to sell her ***** for 10 years before if she's not distroyed she could finance her studies...

It's not about prostitution itself, it's about the magnitude this phenomenon has taken...I felt the same when I was in Amsterdam, where u know everything is legal...Whores are in a showcase in exhibition, u pass by and make your choice...Most of them being forced by pimps who brought them to Holland from East-Europe telling them they would work in an office. Beaten up, raped, drugged, sullied...That's their everyday life.

I'd like to hear your views on the subject though, regarding Thailand, do you deny this fact? How do you live it from the inside?
          The East? The West?

Comment

Lei Yun Fat,

I have printed everything and thanks again for clearing up my misunderstanding of some your explanations. Everything is printed and will definitly be thought and applied.

Talking about results, well I will evaluate the results not in terms of weight intake or muscle definition but in terms of performance improvement. When I see some videos of olympic style lifting, done by people of my size, I see they are not bulky and have a really explosive power...Lots of sprinters, basketballers and people form the athletism lift this way. That's fresh, it comforts me in the idea that if I ever lifter weights it should be this way.

You have raised the issue of food, I'd be curious to hear what you think of my diet, which is pretty much "uncalculated".

I eat lots of Carbs like rice and pasta, not too much sugar, vegetables (fresh and boiled) and dairies. I tend not to eat much meat (I know in the States you have the best and cheap meat, here the meat is crap and expensive), so I take soya protein powder instead.

Do you think it's good to eat lots of carbs (I do)?
            What do you think of isotonic soya protein powder? (around 80gramms a day) Also, should it be taken morning, night, or both?
            Do you eat before or after your workouts?
            The East? The West?

Comment

Don't worry Flow, I'm sure Doc didn't take any offense to the fact that you called his current place of residence "a wondeful country of misbehaving whore mongering pedophiles" !!!

Man that's good stuff.

Hey, by the way, we can't forget the ever entertaining "ping pong show" that the great Thai's are known for !!!! I have promised myself that before I die I will see the Pyramid of Giza, the Colosseum of Rome, and the Thai Ping Pong Show !!!! Only then can I die a happy man.....
              "Winners turn to losers, losers are forgotten..." - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Yes, like I said before, there are many ways to lift a weight. Too often people think that lifting at all will make them into some hulking monster.

As long as you eat enough calories to sustain yourself, you will see some progress. You can eat all your calories in poptarts and donuts and see some improvement, but if you take the rule of nutrition first and calories second, you'll be better off. The thing is, there is an optimum level that you should eat over your maintainence to make the fastest gains. I'm not the best at this part so it's better to ask someone else.

Soy protein is terrible. All protein is NOT equal, and soy is controversially some of the bad stuff. Check out books like The Truth About Soy. A general rule for protein intake is 1 g/lb of bodyweight. That means about 150 g for you. Look into whey protein, as it is much healthier.

Eating six or more small meals a day has been shown to improve metabolic rate and is a rule of thumb. Your workout will probably be between feedings, and it is good to eat carbs and proteins after lifting.

Comment

Gonna make a new thread for this. It's a good topic.
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

been meaning to ask...

Hey doc, once i asked in a private message if you thought any of the monks wanted to com to detroit. i think you said alot of them want to get away from the temple, but don't go tryin to help. or something like that. anyway, why not???

Comment

Time to start a whole new thread onefocus. You have no idea what a mess that's gonna be...

russbo.com

Comment

Big Mess...

Well, I am not trying to open up a pandoras box, it aint that serious. but you know, curiosity killed the cat.

my interest is cursory, no need to bring drama to the table, the world has enough of that already.

i appologize for asking.

peace.

onefocus

Comment

Hi all,

Just to comment on weight training after I came back from a gruesome but awesome 10 days Mauy Thai training in Bangkok.

I had taken weight and gained a lot of power (well at least I thought) after I trained in the gym for at least one hour per day lifting weights and eating proteins (moderately). Meanwhile I was doing some running and worked on my technique with the energy I had left. That's how I prepared before going to Bangkok (was already in a hot country).

Reached Bangkok and started training. It didn't take long before I realized that my weight training had been the most unuseful thing I had ever done. For muay Thai, and particularly Muay Thai ni thailand, only a high rep small weight regime could bring u somewhere. I have seen small guys, I mean really small (even a 10 years old little girl) that had more power that I will ever have in their kicks. They never lift and will never lift. Training boxing is enough.

So on my first day I nearly collapsed under the heat and pollution, and sweated so much that I lost half my weight in two days. The training is so intense (and long) and it's so hot, that anyway you melt in no time. I finally realized that size in muay thai has no importance, but proper technique and dedication, hard work, really gives you the power to punch kick elbow and knee as you never did before, under the guidance of people who take you and the art very seriously.

Weight training? Yes it is nice challenging, fun, rewarding in many ways. But if you intend to be in a sport where stamina and mobility and speed are number one, then do not waste your time and energy lifting when you could be doing sprints and working the bag or your technique. It's mpore than enough for you to get an enormous power and wellbeing, even if you won't look like hulk you will do 4 times more damage.

I loved Thailand and the Thais and nearly everything about this country, I recommand to anyone to go and check it out,

Peace
                          flow
                          The East? The West?

Comment

Flow, while I am glad you took the chance to try lifting, I am afraid you are drawing hasty conclusions and making wide generalizations. It still seems to me that you have some terrible misconceptions about lifting.

In any combat sport, technique will triumph over power. Lifting on it's own can never make up for the fact that you can't throw a punch, no one has argued that. However, to say that lifting has no use what so ever...that's just ignorant. Thai boxers don't lift probably because they don't have the means and it's probably not the most traditional thing to do. Look at western boxers, mma'ers, and professional kickboxers. They ALL lift, but they also all work technique and stuff. It's really a synergy when it comes together and they promote eachother.

Comment

But you can lift "too much". A lot of these steroid laden guys lose their flexibility and speed, the bigger they get. It's a trade off.

russbo.com

Comment

I have noticed that a high rep light weight routine develops the muscle fiber in a more appropriate way than the low rep heavy load (I had dropped a line about that before).

After I had lifted, I had developped more power, how to say, I could...lift heavier things...but not punch harder. I had less snap and speed in my punches, and my shoulders got tired twice as fast as before. Furthermore, you can't maintain this shape if you work anaerobically 5-6 hours a day under the heat, you just melt so what's the point anyway. So at the end, yes I was stronger in terms of lifting stones and helping a friend moving house, but my boxing skill had decreased.

Working out this way does seem more appropriate for me. The Thais do weights, but not heavy weights. They build up muscle fiber and endurance in the shoulders, for example (as we did when I was boxing too) by using small dumbells and shadowboxing with them or ankle weights etc. There was a small barbell and once I started doing backsquats my coach stopped me and redirected me to the bag.

I then kinda understood this "universal law" of natural adaptation. Animal, plants, organisms look a certain way because they were shaped by their environment. By doing a certain action repetively, your body will naturally develop in the exact necessary way for doing this action. Doing and redoing this action IS the major work out you need. After at least 80% of your time has been spent doing it and if you still have some evergy left (I'm not a pro athlete and after 5 hours training I kinda feel dead and sore and bruised) then you can build some extra power using external weights. The Thais spend the majority of this time doing sit ups and reverse sit ups anyway.

In the West we tend to have our center of gravity in the upper body, when in the East they tend to have it in the lower body.

It's not a question of materials, there are plenty of gyms everywhere, and not all unaffordable. If it was necessary for their national sport they would surely invest in a bench press and barbell set, but they don't.

After the 10 days (which is short I admit) I got skinnier, and my body shape when dressed up would not impress ladies as much as after my weight training I admit (although ladies actually don't care in general just a way of saying it). But I had doubled the power of my kicks and got back the power of my punches, although I was just a skinny guy. This was a Muay Thai shape, I looked like them, that's how they do and that's how they did for 1000ds of years... This is not MMA, cage fighting, this is Muay Thai, and there is no need to prove its legitimacy anymore. We can't compare this new bloody trend of cage fighting with a stand up kickboxing-boxing sport-art (the Thai really see fighting as an art). They don't train the same way and for the same reason. The Thais have their way, it works and has worked,a nd it shows when they compete oversea. I trust it even more after I have seen and experienced it.

You see their strikes are so powerful that they could break bones. A 15 years old kid could easily break you leg, literally, with one single kick, whether you are built or not. That's what I call power; that's the kind of power I'm looking for.

I'm not asking for you to tell me that I'm right or wrong. I also don't care if "everyone does weights", because that's not a reason for me to do like them if I disagree with what they do. That's how I understood the thing, and I believe it's right for me. See, I still work out in the gym when I don't box, but I work with smaller weights and it works great for me, just to keep fit, the easy way.

What I learnt about MT is that it is a fighting sport at the end, no matter how strong you are, you're gonna habe to fight and go through the pain and being hit hard. That's when you really see how strong you are!

I still thank you for all your advices anyway

Flow
                                The East? The West?

Comment

Working...
                                X