Discipline Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discipline Code

Hey guys. I readed all the vinaya code. Its 227 rules. But i heard that the monks have to respect more than 250 rules.

1)What are the others rules?

2)What is the differences between the buddhist monks rules and the martial monks rules?

3)When i readed the monastic code of discipline its always writen bhikkus and not monk. Is it the good code? Why do they dont write only monk?
    =========
    Peace out!

Where is this vinaya code? I'd like to put it on the site for reference.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

for the martial monks of Shaolin, there are only 10 rules to follow:

Comment

Doc, look at

Choose the page you want..
        =========
        Peace out!

Comment

Asger, i looked at the page and i don't believe they only have these rules... Everybody is agreeing with him?
          =========
          Peace out!

Comment

Bizarre set of rules they have on that Quebec site. Not sure where they got that from. And, they're missing some.

I think Fa Hui sent me a bunch of rules, which I put on the site, somewhere, in the site. Maybe in the Buddhist section. We got them somewhere....
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

russbo.com

Comment

OK, two places to look. (put monk rules in the russbo.com search engine, and you'll find these places).

Look in the Shaolin FAQ, under "what rules do the monks live by", and also in the Fugue section, subsection "Vows".

That should be helpful.

russbo.com

Comment

Shi Xing Hong told us that those 10 rules are the "Kung fu moral" (wu de). As I understood it, those were the only rules to follow as that kind of monk Shi Xing Hong is (i suppose it is shaolin martial layman monk, but I was never directly told, so I could be very wrong).
                He also told us that for a buddhist shaolin monk, there are 250 rules to follow.

Comment

Ok but doc i want to know the differences with the martial monks and not layment martial monks. Asger i figured out. Its true the rules you sent were them of layment monks so my question if for the unlayment martial monks...
                  =========
                  Peace out!

Comment

there are 5 stages towards becoming he shang in Shaolin. He shang is fully ordained.

martial monks, and other monks, are all different as to where they are along the way of which vows they have taken and what stage they are at.

in any case, no monk or nun could possibly follow all 250 rules, so to try and figure out which ones "martial" monks follow and which ones other monks follow doesn't seem to me to be a successful pursuit in all likelihood.

some monks will not concentrate on gong fu at all, some will concentrate on both, depends on ability and desire, to varying degrees. It might be possible for a martial monk to have a better practice or understanding of ch'an than a non martial monk.
                    "Arhat, I am your father..."
                    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Nobody have a list of all the shaolin martial "inside" monks rules? Do they care about the vinaya code?
                      =========
                      Peace out!

Comment

Like I said before, there are different traditions of Buddhism, and different traditions have different Vinaya Codes. Traditionally the Mahayana Version (which would be what all Chinese monks and nuns would follow) is not shared with the non-monastic community. It's none of our business.

Clear and cut.

A Bhikkhu (Bhiksu in Sanskrit) is a monk. Particularly a Buddhist Monk. Fully ordained, Gone Forth and Accepted.

Bhikkhuni (Bhiksuni) is a nun.

Samanera is a novice monk.

Samanerika is a novice nun.
                        "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Well Fa Hui if we are talking about the martial monks of the shaolin temple? What are their traditions and rules for especially them?
                          =========
                          Peace out!

Comment

The wu de that you refer to is for monks to follow, but, it's more so for the students to follow. These are widely advertised rules in all the schools of Shaolin, for the students to adhere to. (and, by default, the monks of course). Kind of like a code of ethics for students of Shaolin.

russbo.com

Comment

Chen Zhen, the code which you are probably reading is probably the first book of the Tipitaka, the Vinaya, which is the various rules that monks and nuns in the distant pass had to follow. This Vinaya is only followed by monks and nuns in the Theravada. Like Fa Hui said, the rules differ from place to place, and are generally known only to the monastic community. Therefore, unless you are a monk, it would be of no use to you.
                              -Jesse Pasleytm
                              "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Working...
                              X