Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buddhist Mudras

Isn't there another name for Shin Huang?
    practice wu de

His disciple name, Hui Ke.

Doc, interesting. What book was it? Did it say the reason why the disciples wore one sleeve robes? Anything it signifies to a Buddhist disciple?

I'd like to read more. Recently I was just looking up the mudra meanings. So I get an idea of what these things I see really mean. Thanks for the replies....

his name is also sometimes spelled Ji Guang.

Ok, I haven't gotten my guess confirmed on the Shao Lin bowing mudra thing. Still interested in finding that.

Here is a page that talks about the Buddhist monastic robes. It explains the one arm thing here too...

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/...d/robe_txt.htm

A quote:
    "Within the monastery or residence and when having an audience with a more senior monk, a simpler style is adopted (as a gesture of respect and to facilitate work). The right side of the robe is pushed under the armpit and over the robe on the left leaving the right shoulder bare."

This is talking about a different type of robe from what the fighting monks wear, which was what I wondered about first. But I guess the reason would be the same for each robe. Anyway, that's what I found.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12