No announcement yet.

What to teach a Shaolin Monk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've aleady said here and at kfm going back over 5 yrs now that I thought li hong zhi might have either taken a radical's jihad m.o. about it or not been in a position to forsee the impact of promoting himself as a person and an ego as opposed to buddha which is emptiness of that.
    I had a good sit on falun gong and bounced shi suxi's parkinsons and life (..of celibacy and death of that) and shaolin and self and so forth off of that to arrive at "blooming lotus" as my forum name in the first place. I get it, but.. I'm no more falun gong than I am mormon.
    We are very tightly spiritually bonded and interlinked to and through death about this whole entire evolution of me. The both of those men and what they represent and where it came from. the whole entire thing. I rode that death tunnel, you know. And it enlightened the bejeezus out of me to realise death like that, I assure you. that's how shi de yang and realising Himself comes into it for me, and why I say that about him. .and that's an experience I had long before I ever met anyone of his disciples face to face. but I did hustle to china verry very soon after...but my family kidnapped toto and stole her passport, so I went alone and just have to report to keep her updated now. I guess she wants to know about her blankey maybe. she lovves hearing about the quilt it's making..once we get the rest of the pieces together, and how I'm going with that.

The motivation for being buddhist, or abiding any portion or tier of dharma, can never be true unless it is that which is practiced by one's heart without promise of "reward", but out of nature and because it's what you really think and would die ( or not die as the case may be) to stand up for all alone where neccessary. my approval or caring, doesn't fall into that. dont care if I care. I do care. I care about everythig, but I can also live nd let be without expecting tht anyone will evver agree with me. your focus is screwed up from here about that. stop focussing on myyself and try focussing on listening more to yourrself. emptying of whether someone else cares or approves or not is a greeat great skill in overcomming fetter and obtaining right focus. that's where it's at. To paraphrase, even buddha says , just do what's in your heart truly. dont believe other ppl just because you perceive a status. he even says that of himself and his word and of sutras and doctrine and so forth. be true to yourself and dont worry if I care. I care about everything. either way, it doesn't make you any more or less special and worth that. I dont think anybody doesn't truly love each other no matter however they express it. everything they express imo, is just causationally relative to that anyway.

stop crushing on me, I said. that's not what it's about.

I should be able to be iiin the room with you and ideally you might not loose focus on your true mind and thereby be ruffled like at times of potential distraction you might be vulnerable to loosing your head. Deserve better and be cool with that. if you own your true mind, it doesn't mean d*ck that anyone else agrees or cares or not. it'll just work out to however it's meant to, whereever it goes. dont be attached to an outcome though.. unless yu need to be, but dont think I am. unless you need to.
    you could also chill tf out already and take your spanking and stop f*cking crying about sh*t. just embrace your true heart and mind or dont and know that's what some of us will see anyway, and know what weee will be doing in that equation. patientially unattachedly whatever we are with a welcome mat for a leg up is what.

if you just follow your own heart truly, it'll go somewere and that will be the true of sum of you and your hearts expression in life.

Be okay with that.

..if you want to .

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

Originally posted by LFJ View Post
      oh yes, and i forgot to add of course celibacy!

not found in the 5 lay precepts, but of course when living in the temple the 10 precepts are observed which then includes full celibacy. obviously. that would be a rather odd place to get down. but elsewhere celibacy is also not an issue for those who are not fully ordained.
      Hate to break the bubble, but most of these "shaolin monks" have never taken any vows.

They're students of various schools who get sucked into performances. Most of these new guys have never lived in the temple, nor have had a true monk master relationship. And if they had, their learning of Buddhism is limited, to say the least. They get a "shi" name, and they're referred to as such in the schools. But vows, Buddhism training, well, you won't find it most of the time.

This is why the older generation is so valuable. The newer generation guys just don't have the same opportunities to learn that the older ones did.
      Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
      russbo.com

Comment

Well, about the five precepts and eating animal, that is taking the risk to have made them suffer and to go against their free will, here is what we find in Theravada:

The Five Precepts:

1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.

A great site by the way, access to insight, where you can find tons of Theravada suttas and other stuff.

So it is rather clear that according to panca sila, one should refrain from killing animals.

I dont know where it comes from, if it is a religious rule per se or if it comes from the compassion towards animals.

My concentration is on the suffering of living beings and that is why i avoid fish and meat and battery eggs and often milk.

I think one should always ask before he eats a killed animal if this animal has suffered before and if he died with his own will.

How can you pratice wushu if you are violent in your food? Wushu goal is non violence, so it should be deeply meditated. To take a fish out of water against its will isn t it violence. The question is not to abstain from it because you are buddhist but to abstain from it for the animal's sake.

Comment

Originally posted by liutangsanzang View Post

I think one should always ask before he eats a killed animal if this animal has suffered before and if he died with his own will.
          I only eat animals that have committed suicide.

Is that OK?
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
            I only eat animals that have committed suicide.

Is that OK?
            No, Doc. You're a sinner, off to church to repent your sins.
            "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by doc View Post
              Hate to break the bubble, but most of these "shaolin monks" have never taken any vows....

...This is why the older generation is so valuable. The newer generation guys just don't have the same opportunities to learn that the older ones did.
              thats not breaking any bubble, lol. i was speaking in traditional terms. thats the way it is for the elder warrior monks and clears up the confusion about them caused by assuming they are fully ordained.

i know the newer generation guys dont know sh!t about sh!t. that shouldnt count at all. unfortunately, holding even the five lay precepts to them isnt going to cast a nice image on shaolin either.

especially given the fact that they are the mainstream shaolin characters these days.

Comment

Originally posted by liutangsanzang View Post
                The Five Precepts:

1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.

A great site by the way, access to insight, where you can find tons of Theravada suttas and other stuff.

So it is rather clear that according to panca sila, one should refrain from killing animals.
                i'm familiar with the site. have the whole thing downloaded onto my hard-drive.

also, much of my buddhist study was done in theravada following venerable bhikkhu bodhi and venerable thanissaro bhikkhu.

but while i agree the first precept teaches us to refrain from killing or harming living beings, it doesnt talk about vegetarianism. not eating an animal's flesh does not necessarily fall under that precept.

meat eating in theravada is not blameworthy and constitutes no negative kamma if the meat is pure by the three marks, that is: having not been seen, heard of, or suspected to have been killed for your consumption.

elsewise it would break the first precept as you would have a share in the negative kamma of those who actually did the killing. and much worse if you yourself did it.

but in theravada, if its pure by those three marks, eating meat is not blameworthy and constitutes no negative kamma.

although of course, vegetarianism is most praiseworthy and encouraged where possible.

Comment

that's exactly why it's given to mahayana from there. we said we will take that karma ( and not only about eating meat) and we will forgo our nirvana for it until collectively we make good of it for evvveryone, and that is thaat buddha. I know you have issues with karma that you can't dare to resolve, so, it 's no surprise that you bring that to us.

you juust dont get it...which is really the whole point and karmic dynamic in the first place.

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

not everyone is buddhist, not everyone is mahayana buddhist, and no buddhist tradition is superior to another.

mahayana is the one big on vegetarianism anyhow, to nurture the heart of compassion. its not logical to eat the beings you vow to liberate.

do you know any serious respected mahayana buddhist masters (well-known monastics) who encourage meat eating as opposed to encouraging vegetarianism??

Comment

No. they aren't. that's why a world wide mandatory hallal kosher moral is lacking in compassion itself. to not be mindful of what ppl face and have had to and why and where the potentials of that leads, is all a part of understanding dharma and compassion, period.

One more time. quotes from shaolin.cn.com from Yan Long the administrating monk and other monks.

[quote Yan Long]http://www.shaolin.cn.com/forums/viewthread/52/P10/
                      In Mahayana scriptures Buddha categorically prohibited consumption of the flesh of any animal that was “seen, heard or suspected” to have been killed specifically for the benefit of monks.
                      (Jivaka Sutra, Majjhima Nikaya 55).
                      [end quote]

[quote yanlong ]
                      When these words were written all these materials were considered to be luxurious.( *tell it to the bahai tribe, or moses travelers btw, speaking of sihn ( http://www.jesusplusnothing.com/ques...irginbirth.htm) recently* and emembering shaolin as promoting and teaching the wisdoms of the young forrest) So the Buddha advised them to avoid luxurious life.
                      So, if you decide not to drink milk it is a personal decision, not a Buddhist order; i.e. butter and milk and rice is a common mixed food in Tibet and even the Buddhist monks eat it; they eat also meat. In some temples the monk clothes are made of silk. I don’t think they are not good monks.
                      Personally, I don’t eat meat. I don’t drink milk but I do eat butter (vegetable – not animal fat).
                      Amituofo
                      [end quote]

[quote hengfa requoting yanlong's quoting buddha]
                      Subhuti, this is how the Boddhisattva should think in his heart.
                      All sentient beings of whichever kind, those born from the egg, those born from the womb, those born from moisture, those born by means of transformation, whether they have a physical form or not, whether they possess a capacity to think or not, whether they exempt from possessing a thinking capacity or not, I will help all these beings to enter Infinite Nirvana and will liberate them.
                      Yet when I liberate these immesurable, incalculable, boundless numbers of sentient beings, in reality no sentient being attains liberation.
                      Why is this, Subhuti?
                      Because if the Bodhisattva cherishes the idea of Ego, the idea of Man, the idea of sentient being, or the idea of life, he is not a Boddhisattva anymore.
                      Namo Amituofo _/_
                      [end quote]

[quote]
                      In The Lankavatara Sutra it says: “The Blessed One said this to him: For innumerable reasons, Mahamati, the Boddhisattva, whose nature is compassion, is not to eat any meat.”
                      [end quote]

and yet buddha ate meat many numerous times himself. you do the math about that. *shrug*.

[quote]
                      The Vinaya, then, is quite clear on this matter. Monks and nuns may eat meat. Even the Buddha ate meat. Unfortunately, meat eating is often seen by westerners as an indulgence on the part of the monks. Nothing could be further from the truth - I was a strict vegetarian for three years before I became a monk. In my first years as a monk in North-East Thailand, when I bravely faced many a meal of sticky rice and boiled frog (the whole body bones and all), or rubbery snails, red-ant curry or fried grasshoppers - I would have given ANYTHING to be a vegetarian again! On my first Christmas in N.E. Thailand an American came to visit the monastery a week or so before the 25th. It seemed too good to be true, he had a turkey farm and yes, he quickly understood how we lived and promised us a turkey for Christmas. He said that he would choose a nice fat one especially for us… and my heart sank. We cannot accept meat knowing it was killed especially for monks. We refused his offer. So I had to settle for part of the villager’s meal - frogs again.
                      Monks may not exercise choice when it comes to food and that is much harder than being a vegetarian. Nonetheless, we may encourage vegetarianism and if our lay supporters brought only vegetarian food and no meat, well… monks may not complain either! [end quote]

you understand what the dharma is really saying or you dont. apparently ppl have different perceptions of that and born from different culumtive experience and thought conception stimuli exposures, so whatever.

I'm probably wasting my breath talking here about it, and thaat would be why I 'll just take it the UN in the form that I plan to whatever about juvenielle criticism.
                      this is about how to survive and get by. clearly some ppl just aren't familiar with true hardship and have nooo idea how to make logic of it from that nor for that and from the various positions of that. . but then, that's nothing we didn't already uderstand anyway.

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

Originally posted by blooming tianshi lotus View Post
                        No. they aren't.
                        .... not sure where your knowledge of mahayana comes from.

One more time. quotes from shaolin.cn.com from Yan Long the administrating monk and other monks.
                        you've defeated your own argument with their quotes. they are all vegetarian and all of them promote vegetarianism. did you read their article on vegetarianism?

much of it is confusing theravada and mahayana scriptures and ideals. there's a misunderstanding of the theravada position on vegetarianism written in there, but the mahayana position is strictly vegetarian.

In The Lankavatara Sutra it says: “The Blessed One said this to him: For innumerable reasons, Mahamati, the Boddhisattva, whose nature is compassion, is not to eat any meat.”

and yet buddha ate meat many numerous times himself. you do the math about that. *shrug*.
                        there is a vast difference between a commoner and a bodhisattva of the 10th stage dharma-cloud, or a buddha.

it is recorded that they can eat meat if they really reach a state of non-discrimination, tested by placing a bowl of dirt and rotten meat in front of them and they can eat it like a bowl of delicious food!

can we do that? thats why the buddha taught vegetarianism in mahayana and the bodhisattva path, for us less realized folks. it "destroys the heart of compassion".

but still, it is just saying that a bodhisattva or buddha of such a state is able to eat it like a delicious bowl of food. not that they would. and for such a realized being eating meat would not even be comparable to us eating meat as we are on completely different levels.

just study the sutras. all you ever quote is what other people say or what you read from some website. but they are prone to making mistakes.

i would suggest you read the scriptures yourself.

The Vinaya, then, is quite clear on this matter. Monks and nuns may eat meat.
                        again, meat eating and vegetarianism is not in the vinaya. it is in the bodhisattva precepts!

chinese monastics take both the full pratimoksha precepts as well as the bodhisattva precepts in order to become fully ordained in the chinese buddhist traditions.

therefore, a fully ordained monk or nun in the chinese mahayana tradition MUST be vegetarian.

Comment

[quote LFJ]

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by blooming tianshi lotus
                          No. they aren't.

Quote:
                          you've defeated your own argument with their quotes. they are all vegetarian and all of them promote vegetarianism. did you read their article on vegetarianism?

[end quote]

[quote yan long]http://www.shaolin.cn.com/forums/viewthread/52/P60/

Yan Long - 13 June 2006 03:17 PM
                          In Mahayana scriptures Buddha categorically prohibited consumption of the flesh of any animal that was “seen, heard or suspected” to have been killed specifically for the benefit of monks.
                          What the Buddha said about eating meat?
                          The Buddha laid down several rules forbidding monks from asking for the food that they liked. As a result, they would receive just the sort of meals that ordinary people ate - and that was often meat.
                          Once, a rich and influential general by the name of Siha (meaning Lion) went to visit the Buddha. Siha had been a famous lay supporter of the Jain monks but he was so impressed and inspired by the Teachings he heard from the Buddha that he took refuge in the Triple Gem (i.e. he became a Buddhist). General Siha then invited the Buddha, together with the large number of monks accompanying Him, to a meal at his house in the city the following morning. In preparation for the meal, Siha told one of his servants to buy some meat from the market for the feast. When the Jain monks heard of their erstwhile patron’s conversion to Buddhism and the meal that he was preparing for the Buddha and the monks, they were somewhat peeved:

“Now at the time many Niganthas (Jain monks), waving their arms, were moaning from carriage road to carriage road, from cross road to cross road in the city: ‘Today a fat beast, killed by Siha the general, is made into a meal for the recluse Gotama (the Buddha), the recluse Gotama makes use of this meat knowing that it was killed on purpose for him, that the deed was done for his sake’...”.

Siha was making the ethical distinction between buying meat already prepared for sale and ordering a certain animal to be killed, a distinction which is not obvious to many westerners but which recurs throughout the Buddha’s own teachings. Then, to clarify the position on meat eating to the monks, the Buddha said:

“Monks, I allow you fish and meat that are quite pure in three respects: if they are not seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk. But, you should not knowingly make use of meat killed on purpose for you.”

Towards the end of the Buddha’s life, his cousin Devadatta attempted to usurp the leadership of the Order of monks. In order to win support from other monks, Devadatta tried to be more strict than the Buddha and show Him up as indulgent. Devadatta proposed to the Buddha that all the monks should henceforth be vegetarians. The Buddha refused and repeated once again the regulation that he had established years before, that monks and nuns may eat fish or meat as long as it is not from an animal whose meat is specifically forbidden, and as long as they had no reason to believe that the animal was slaughtered specifically for them.
                          The Vinaya, then, is quite clear on this matter. Monks and nuns may eat meat. Even the Buddha ate meat. Unfortunately, meat eating is often seen by westerners as an indulgence on the part of the monks. Nothing could be further from the truth - I was a strict vegetarian for three years before I became a monk. In my first years as a monk in North-East Thailand, when I bravely faced many a meal of sticky rice and boiled frog (the whole body bones and all), or rubbery snails, red-ant curry or fried grasshoppers - I would have given ANYTHING to be a vegetarian again! On my first Christmas in N.E. Thailand an American came to visit the monastery a week or so before the 25th. It seemed too good to be true, he had a turkey farm and yes, he quickly understood how we lived and promised us a turkey for Christmas. He said that he would choose a nice fat one especially for us… and my heart sank. We cannot accept meat knowing it was killed especially for monks. We refused his offer. So I had to settle for part of the villager’s meal - frogs again.
                          Monks may not exercise choice when it comes to food and that is much harder than being a vegetarian. Nonetheless, we may encourage vegetarianism and if our lay supporters brought only vegetarian food and no meat, well… monks may not complain either!
                          However there are some meats which are specifically prohibited for monks to eat: human meat, for obvious reasons; meat from elephants and horses as these were then considered royal animals; dog meat - as this was considered by ordinary people to be disgusting; and meat from snakes, lions, tigers, panthers, bears and hyenas - because one who had just eaten the flesh of such dangerous jungle animals was thought to give forth such a smell as to draw forth revenge from the same species!
                          May you take the hint and be kind to animals.
                          [end quote]

you make stuff up because you're lonely and want to feel important, I think.

god bless your pain the ass cotton sockems, just dont mistake yourself for someone who understands dharma, because clearly, you do not. Lying is a cardinal sin, but who noticed anyway @).

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

edit on above

quote LFJ]

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by blooming tianshi lotus
                            No. they aren't.

Quote Blooming tianshi lotus:

[quote LFJ]

[end quote]

[quote yan long]http://www.shaolin.cn.com/forums/viewthread/52/P60/

Yan Long - 13 June 2006 03:17 PM
                            What the Buddha said about eating meat?
                            The Buddha laid down several rules forbidding monks from asking for the food that they liked. As a result, they would receive just the sort of meals that ordinary people ate - and that was often meat.
                            Once, a rich and influential general by the name of Siha (meaning Lion) went to visit the Buddha. Siha had been a famous lay supporter of the Jain monks but he was so impressed and inspired by the Teachings he heard from the Buddha that he took refuge in the Triple Gem (i.e. he became a Buddhist). General Siha then invited the Buddha, together with the large number of monks accompanying Him, to a meal at his house in the city the following morning. In preparation for the meal, Siha told one of his servants to buy some meat from the market for the feast. When the Jain monks heard of their erstwhile patron’s conversion to Buddhism and the meal that he was preparing for the Buddha and the monks, they were somewhat peeved:

“Now at the time many Niganthas (Jain monks), waving their arms, were moaning from carriage road to carriage road, from cross road to cross road in the city: ‘Today a fat beast, killed by Siha the general, is made into a meal for the recluse Gotama (the Buddha), the recluse Gotama makes use of this meat knowing that it was killed on purpose for him, that the deed was done for his sake’...”.

Siha was making the ethical distinction between buying meat already prepared for sale and ordering a certain animal to be killed, a distinction which is not obvious to many westerners but which recurs throughout the Buddha’s own teachings. Then, to clarify the position on meat eating to the monks, the Buddha said:

“Monks, I allow you fish and meat that are quite pure in three respects: if they are not seen, heard or suspected to have been killed on purpose for a monk. But, you should not knowingly make use of meat killed on purpose for you.”
                            Towards the end of the Buddha’s life, his cousin Devadatta attempted to usurp the leadership of the Order of monks. In order to win support from other monks, Devadatta tried to be more strict than the Buddha and show Him up as indulgent. Devadatta proposed to the Buddha that all the monks should henceforth be vegetarians. The Buddha refused and repeated once again the regulation that he had established years before, that monks and nuns may eat fish or meat as long as it is not from an animal whose meat is specifically forbidden, and as long as they had no reason to believe that the animal was slaughtered specifically for them.
                            Monks may not exercise choice when it comes to food and that is much harder than being a vegetarian. Nonetheless, we may encourage vegetarianism and if our lay supporters brought only vegetarian food and no meat, well… monks may not complain either!
                            However there are some meats which are specifically prohibited for monks to eat: human meat, for obvious reasons; meat from elephants and horses as these were then considered royal animals; dog meat - as this was considered by ordinary people to be disgusting; and meat from snakes, lions, tigers, panthers, bears and hyenas - because one who had just eaten the flesh of such dangerous jungle animals was thought to give forth such a smell as to draw forth revenge from the same species!
                            May you take the hint and be kind to animals.
                            [end quote]

you make stuff up because you're lonely and want to feel important, I think.

god bless your pain the ass cotton sockems, just dont mistake yourself for someone who understands dharma, because clearly, you do not. Lying is a cardinal sin, but who noticed anyway @).
                            Are you accusing the whole of shaolin.cn to be liars btw? Yan Long says he's a chinese buddhist monk.

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

?

are you serious, btl?

you are saying the complete opposite of them.

yanlong in the same thread says "Personally, I don’t eat meat. I don’t drink milk but I do eat butter (vegetable – not animal fat)."

and read their article on vegetarianism. they are saying the same thing. promoting vegetarianism as mahayana monks. chinese monks and nuns take the bodhisattva precepts to complete their full ordination. they MUST be vegetarian.

and since its taught by the buddha throughout the mahayana sutras they also encourage laity in mahayana and on the bodhisattva path to become vegetarian.

the bodhisattva path cannot be followed without being vegetarian. its in the bodhisattva precepts! thats the heart of mahayana!

to say mahayana isnt big on vegetarianism is just... well, i dont know what you're reading. but i suggest you study the scriptures yourself.

Comment

you're always trying to play on words like you 're trying to be estoeric and hide the true meaning of things.

yan long says up there that he had to eat frogs and all sorts of other stuff. if you mean it as that those animals are not those animals from there as I explained earlier and how sex can be not sexual, because essentially we are all of empty of form from that point viewing the journey of it in it's incarnate disposition, then stop f*cking trying to be so godamming mystixcal. there are rules about saying bad things about monks yo know and about lying. you cannot haaave buddhist cred and do shit like that. other wise, we have to show were youre innocent because you are an ignorant shithead.

you can't get hung up on being a man or an animal, because thaat disqualifies you as a bodhisattva for being shallow.
                                thaat is the heart of mahayana and how we get to parinirvana, LFJ.

Vegetarianism is promoted for mercy 's sake to those who can't wrap their head around it otherwise, so they dont have to feel they need to undertake f*cking rigorous arduous missions that might involve that or need to be aborted. it dOes nOt mean that we always do that ourselves.. as nice as it is to be home.

aand I would eat the dirty meat if I saw cause also.
                                aand I'd do it publically .

Blooming tianshi lotus.

Comment

Working...
                                X