No announcement yet.

how shaolin monks jump so high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to remember one thing about these guys.

They all weigh less than 60 kg.

The battle against gravity is significantly less. Also, they have good leg strength, from daily jogging. And, flexibility, which allows them to raise their legs "higher" in the middle of the kick, thus giving them the appearance of kicking higher.

I would not recommend the use of ankle weights when doing any maneuver that results in the leg being swung about in the air forcefully. The opportunity for hip subluxation or dislocation, and knee injury, is significant.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

It's not so weird teachers come on the forums. I have seen quite a few. Even Doc has taught some classes and he runs this thing. How much class, I don't know. I just read that.

I wouldn't recommend that either, ankle weights while swinging. That excersize I gave wasn't anything swinging with any part of the body. It was basically a "step up" or something. No harm done there.

Basketball players can jump pretty high too. Even being 6'6" and weighing whatever. So, it's all in training. It may look high when they dunk but that's cuz they are taller. It's not such a high jump for them. But what about dunking from free throw line? That's pretty good.

A mi tuo Fo
      -Xing Jian

Comment

very true

very true when it comes to it jumping can sometimes all imagery but sometimes it cannot.i do practice falling cause thats in some of northern forms wah kuens you jump into a flying sidekick and fall. but ya i did the exercise i like it alot works the quadtricepts more that a single leg squat. but its basically a good work out.one thing i want t oknow is how do you do that thing when youre on the ground and you kick youreself back up. i know its all legs coordinated with the upper body but i just cant do it.and everytime i see people do it like wushu practitioners they doit with ease.

ami tuo fu

derek presti

Comment

The relative ratio of muscle to body mass is important also. Should have mentioned that. Also, the type of muscle fibers that you have is significant. Weight lifters, who tend to develop slow twitch fibers, won't move as quickly as sprinters, who develop faster twitch fibers.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

Kip Up is what that is called. Laying on the ground and kick yourself up to you feet.

There are some better places online that can give better details. Do a search on yahoo or google or something and look up "kip up" and how to do it. I'm sure they would give much better explainations.

A mi tuo Fo
            -Xing Jian

Comment

As far as increasing verticle...

On the training forum on kungfu magazines site, there was a good thread on hops...

Also try a google search, I've read about different workouts that will help increase your verticle.

Some basics are strength (as in squats and weighted squats) and explosiveness (plyometrics, etc.). Try checking out those topics as well.
              practice wu de

Comment

"i do hung gar a certain type though fu hok tai he morn hung gar"

ive never heard of this lineage, im interested..whos your teacher and who taught him might i ask?

amitabha
                "did you ask me to consider dick with you??" blooming tianshi lotus

Comment

fu hok tai he morn , my teacher is clavin chin and he learned from kwong titi fu he was his sucessor, and kwong tit fu learned from lam jo, if you want to learn more go to www.calvinchin.com all the info is on our site.

-ohh ya doci know what youre talkin about because my sifu wrote in article in tai chi magazine about fajin and he describes muscles twitch fibersi have the magazine ill write a piece of it to you......

"you practice slow form in order to finalize youre postures, to develop the fullness of youre transitions and the total coordination required to do good fa-jin.total body coordination in softnesss combines for an instant of hardness. all muscle contain varying amounts of slow twitch fibers that are aerobic and provide endurance, and two kinds of fast twitch fibers that produce speed. slow twitch fibers called (type 1) deliever more oxygen and remove more waste from the muscles. so they are slower to fatigue. fast twitch muscles called(type 2a and type 2B) Have fibers that convert blood sugar(glucose) into energy. type 2a fast twitch fibers fatigue more slowly than type 2B fast twitch fibers, but they are not exsplosive. because type 2B fibers are not needed as often they are harder to train. fa-jin requires first spontaneosly gathering and concentrating fast twitch fibers, then releasing them exsplosively."

- thats alittle somethin from my sifu calvin chin.
                  ami tuo fu
                  derek presti

Comment

fu hok tai he morn , my teacher is clavin chin and he learned from kwong titi fu he was his sucessor, and kwong tit fu learned from lam jo, if you want to learn more go to www.calvinchin.com all the info is on our site.

-ohh ya doci know what youre talkin about because my sifu wrote in article in tai chi magazine about fajin and he describes muscles twitch fibersi have the magazine ill write a piece of it to you......

"you practice slow form in order to finalize youre postures, to develop the fullness of youre transitions and the total coordination required to do good fa-jin.total body coordination in softnesss combines for an instant of hardness. all muscle contain varying amounts of slow twitch fibers that are aerobic and provide endurance, and two kinds of fast twitch fibers that produce speed. slow twitch fibers called (type 1) deliever more oxygen and remove more waste from the muscles. so they are slower to fatigue. fast twitch muscles called(type 2a and type 2B) Have fibers that convert blood sugar(glucose) into energy. type 2a fast twitch fibers fatigue more slowly than type 2B fast twitch fibers, but they are not exsplosive. because type 2B fibers are not needed as often they are harder to train. fa-jin requires first spontaneosly gathering and concentrating fast twitch fibers, then releasing them exsplosively."

- thats alittle somethin from my sifu calvin chin.
                    ami tuo fu
                    derek presti

Comment

you mean this guy?

Comment

frog jumps
                        and squats(stand in place..feet spread shoulder width apart...squat down as far as u can go..squat up..till knees is straight)
                        frog jumps a whole soccer/football field or basketball court one time or 2 times (more wen it get easier)
                        and do bout 300-500 squats a day(do them in set of 50 if u can..if not try 30 and slowly build up)
                        that will get you jumping higher
                        cuz thats wat i do
                        and also...practice the jump u want to get higher..for example u wanna get tornado kick higher..then practice that more

i wouldnt use weight i were u...u dont need weight..it wont help...it will just make u feel lighter thats all..not jump higher..but feel lighter and it can cause damager to your body if used wrong..so yeah
                        no need for weight...it wat i told u feels to ez...then just add more numbers to it

this is very basic jumping exercises and leg muscles to help u jump higher
                        3 months..i gurantee u see an improvement..if u do it everyday

Comment

yup thats my sifu

he'll be at bailtemore and texas we always go to alot of tournaments so youll see us around.

Comment

why who else knows hung gar and who do they learn from?

Comment

well, i know ricky leturia's group used to go to chinwoo...i didnt see them last year but i guess that's all the better...

good luck with your teacher's seminar. will he be doing anything for the master's demo?

Comment

ya

ya he always does a masters demo, he should be he either does a mox of ironn wire/ fu hok or he does double dragon swords which he's known for , im not sure though cause he didd iro wire down in florida this month it was aweosome!

Comment

Working...
                                X