WING CHUN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WING CHUN

This question is for anyone who has experience with Wing Chun. Just how good of shape does one need to be in to start in on the study of Wing Chun ? I have always wanted to learn a kung Fu system, however Wing Chun and Tai Chi are the only ones available in my area. I am in my mid fifties, fair condition but 20-30 lbs overweight. Is this to much to overcome or should I consider Tai Chi as an alternative ?

Any help and your experiences would be helpfull.

Thanks

Matuke

It depends on your goals at this point in your life. If you wish to learn fighting techniques that will help you defend yourself and loved ones fairly quickly, within the first year or so, Wing Chun is what you want. In any style of martial art they can work with you at your own speed. No one is too much of whatever to do it. I had a student in Shao Lin Gong Fu who was in his 30's and over 280 pounds. And maybe 6 feet or just under. I worked with him at his own speed. Now he is with the rest of the class running and doing everything. He learned to breath right and most of all he is losing weight and in better physical condition and doing well in training. He has only been with me for the past 4 months maybe. So, there is no reason you couldn't do an external style. The teacher, if he is good, will just work at your speed and get you in good shape. Also like I said, Wing Chun is a style that will teach you things you can learn fairly quickly and begin using right away.

Tai Ji Quan, it's of course an internal style. A lot of older people benefit from this. (older as in older than you, not saying you are old, smile) It will take longer for you to develope the fighting usefulness. But along the way you will be building your internal power which will turn out to be a great tool for combat. And also it is a very healing art. If you feel your body is out of shape and your joints aren't quite what they used to be, Tai Ji Quan will get you back on track. Though it is slow moving, there are many low stances and postures and even slow kicks that will help your body out right away. Tai Ji Quan can actually compliment anything or style you do. Though Wing Chun will be useful sooner in a fighting way, but once you get more experience in Tai Ji Quan, the results in your combat skills will be amazing. So it is up to you and what you are really looking for right now in your life.

That's my thought.

A mi tuo Fo
    -Xing Jian

Comment

WING CHUN

Xing Jian, thank you for your quick response and great advice. If it is not a bother could you go into a little detail on how Tai Ji quan can also develop combat skills? If I understand you correctly, Wing Chun is a quicker way to learn self defense, however, Tai Ji Quan will develop the same skills over a longer period of time? Please remember I am a rookie at this and any help would be appreciated. By the way I believe that since my joints and overall condition can be improved, I will start with Tai Ji Quan.

thank You
      MATUKE

Comment

Remember that Wing Chun and Tai Ji Quan are different styles. The combat applications of both will be different. They focus on different things. Wing Chun is a very good close range fighting style. It focuses mainly on hand techniques that overwhelm the opponent and take them out quickly. It is very good if not the best close range fighting system. The techniques will be easy to start using right away. It's a simple style. It is very direct and is very useful in street situations. Though I believe that simplicity is what would get them in trouble against another martial artist. It is a style made with certain things already set. In Hong Kong, there are small alleys and streets and between cars and in bars where people fight. They can't use many long techniques. Where comes the short range mainly hand techniques. It is simple and effective, so it will be a quick one to learn to use right away.

Tai Ji Quan on the other hand takes longer to develope fighting skills that you can use as effectively as Wing Chun. Though the fighting skills will be different due to the different style it is. In Tai Ji Quan you can use all of your body and you aren't restricted in that way. The moves take in force and redirect it and use it against the opponent. Internal power is built through the slow movements in the forms. This internal power is used in combat to send force of your own into the body of the opponent making a much more powerful strike. The movements are longer. But don't need much strength, speed, and so on to work properly. The thing that makes it take a longer time is that the moves aren't always as direct. You want to use the least amount of energy to defeat them. And that usually takes a skillful footwork, redirection of power, that takes a longer time to develope. Tai Ji Quan and Wing Chun have one thing in common though. They both have something called "sticky hands" or "push hands". This is where two people touch hands and arms together and push in a certain way. Then try different techniques on the person. When you feel the pressure on your arm you can quickly react in the correct manner. Redirecting it or coming over or under or around it. This ideas are both used in either style. But Tai Ji Quan redirecting using the opponents own energy to build on your own and use it against them all at once. This takes a longer time to develope, understand, and use correctly. Where Wing Chun interupts the opponents attacks by going straight in with a combination of quick attacks. Tai Ji Quan though will help you with internal energy which is used with taking energy from an oppenent and giving it all back to them. Along the way in your training you will develope this internal energy which can also have great healing effects on your body from just practicing the forms alone. It is like a healing art and a martial art in one where Wing Chun is a direct martial art meant to make you an effective fighter right away. Though once you develope that in Tai Ji Quan, it will be a different method of combat but it will be a very effective one. Even elderly men and women in their 70's and 80's can still practice it and even defend themselves... to some degree.

A mi tuo Fo
        -Xing Jian

Comment

Wing Chun is not a physically demanding martial art, you shouldn't have a problem with it.

It has high stances, not many kicks and its forms are very simple. It's a very practical martial art and very good for fighting in confined spaces. It's also a lot of fun to practice and develops excellent touch sensitivity and very quick hands.

If you want to practice a martial art, Wing Chun is also a safer bet than Tai Chi. The number of masters that are capable of teaching Tai Chi as a martial art isn't very big. Chances are the one you have available teaches it as a health exercise, even if they claim they can teach you the martial aspects.

Comment

WING CHUN

Xing Jian and Emre, thank you for your help. Also, what are some of the things I can do to prepare my body for either Wing Chun or Tai Ji Quan ? Remember I am 56 and in fair shape but not in Martial Arts shape. Are there any good sources avaiable for this?

Thank You
            Matuke

Comment

Stretching would be good.

Neither Wing Chun nor Tai Chi require you to be in good shape when you start but flexibility is always important, even when you're not kicking higher than the waist.

Stretch safely and slowly if you're inflexible.

Comment

So heres the deal, if you're looking to train for self defense, take wing chun. Your shape isn't a problem, that will improve with practice and training. If you're looking for a long term excercise that will benefit your health, take taiji (wing chun will improve your health as well, but might not do as much for longevity as taiji will). You might even want to do both, but I'd start the wing chun first if i were you.
                Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Working...
                X