Moo Duk Quan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moo Duk Quan

Is there anyone familiar with Moo Duck Quan which is from the Northern style of Sil Lum ?
    If so, where can I find out more information about this style?

Matuke

Moo Duck Quan?.... Sounds like something on the Menu at the restaurant in Chinatown... think it comes with Orange Sauce on top.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
    "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
    "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
    "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

Found this on the net..

The Moo Duk Kwan was one of the main schools of martial arts at the end of the Japanese occupation of Korea in August of 1945. Hwang Kee was the founder. Other major Korean martial arts schools in 1945 were Yon Moo Kwan, YMCA Kwon Pup, Chung Do Kwan and Song Moo Kwan. Member styles of the original schools expanded to many in Korea by 1950. They included Mook Duk Kwan, Ji Do Kwan, Yon Moo Kwan, Han Moo Kwan, Kang Duk Won, Kang Moo Kwan, Cheong Moo Kwan, Chong Do Kwan, Chong Kyong Kwan, Kuk Moo Kwan, O Do Kwan and Song Moo Kwan.
      Last edited by Steve; 07-24-2004, 09:11 AM.
      I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
      "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
      "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

From what I understand, Sil Lum is a form of Wing Chun and Moo Duk Kwan is a form of Tae Kwon Do.
        They are not close at all, are they? I don't know?

Isn't Moo Duk Kwan something Chuck Norris did?

Comment

Sil Lum is just cantonese for Shaolin.

Chucky boy practiced Tang Soo Do...which is basically similar to Taekwondo, but just didn't 'nationalise' with the other schools around at the time. Tang Soo Do claims to be more 'traditional' but really falls within the same area of the spectrum as Taekwondo and Karate.

Some schools of Taekwondo aren't all that far off from kung fu....the two big organizations, ITF and WTF, however, are basically Shotokan Karate with fancy-pants footwork and kicks.
          -Jesse Pasleytm
          "How do I know? Because my sensei told me!"

Comment

Originally posted by pazman
            Sil Lum is just cantonese for Shaolin.

Chucky boy practiced Tang Soo Do...which is basically similar to Taekwondo, but just didn't 'nationalise' with the other schools around at the time. Tang Soo Do claims to be more 'traditional' but really falls within the same area of the spectrum as Taekwondo and Karate.

Some schools of Taekwondo aren't all that far off from kung fu....the two big organizations, ITF and WTF, however, are basically Shotokan Karate with fancy-pants footwork and kicks.
            Exactly. Tang Soo Do was known as MDK Tang Soo Do. The MDK stands for Hall of Martial Virtue. The only connection I can think of is Hwang Kee trying to establish Tang Soo Do as an ancient art when it was basically Shotokan or some other type of Karate or the now renamed MDK TSD, known as Soo Bahk Do, due to lots of masters splitting off and calling their styles Tang Soo Do which Hwang Kee didn't like. He went on to either "borrow" some forms from Kung Fu and say they were advanced TSD forms or make up some. Korean martial arts, burying their origins to create new ones. (Shakes head.)
            Peace, favor your sword. "In these modern times many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use." Achille Marozzo, 1536 Donald Corey Pillow

Familiarity breeds Contempt

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

There ain't a wrong way to do right or a right way to do wrong! Joe Frazier

Ignorance is Bliss

Comment

Hope Matuke reads this; he was probably thrown by the insinuation of a TSD/kung fu link.
              Peace, favor your sword. "In these modern times many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use." Achille Marozzo, 1536 Donald Corey Pillow

Familiarity breeds Contempt

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

There ain't a wrong way to do right or a right way to do wrong! Joe Frazier

Ignorance is Bliss

Comment

Working...
              X