No announcement yet.

Da/XiaoHong Chuen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which brings us back to the newer Shaolin Da Hong Quan form, it still doesn't seem to share anything with Xiao Hung Quan, not even Tong Bei roots. But the older Da Hong Quan shaolin form I have seen, which is very uncommon, I have only seen it once, does indeed share many moves with both Xiao Hong Quan and Tai Tzu Quan forms of Shaolin.

I learned the so called traditional Da Hong Chuan years ago. It has many similarities to it's cousin, Shao Hong Chuan. In fact, the pattern is quite similar; the difference lies within some of the movements. I think I have a slideshow of it in the Slideshow Library.

The three stage, commonly taught, Da Hong Chuan, now in Shaolin, has no apparent link to the traditional version. It is about 200 steps in length, commonly taught in three separate "forms" of 60 - 70 steps, of which, the first stage is usually taught. Few people know the second two stages. I think I have a video of part of the first stage, in the Decheng school section (the French kid that everyone wrote shit about). If I remember correctly, that was stage one of Da Hong, or, some part of it.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

I really would love to see a video of the traditional Da Hong Quan,
      so I can compare it to the documents I have showing the form.

Comment

I compared the Da Hong in the slide show, that looks a lot more like Xiao Hong Quan, that's for sure.

Well, the Da Hong Quan I have is reallllllllyyy loooongggg,
        this one seems to be abreviated or yet another form.

Can you please email me the file for the Da Hong Quan form so that I can
        do a move by move comparison at my leisure?
        I want to see if the moves from this one are found on the even longer version I have
        in the same order of moves, if it is then the slide show form is an abbreviated version.
        If it is not, then the slide show form is yet another Da Hong Quan.

Both the long Da Hong Quan I have and this slide show Da Hong Quan both are very much alike to Xiao Hong Quan, so we are in the right ball park, even the right game.
        But now I want to see what's the difference between these two traditional Da Hong Quan forms.

I also have other Hong Quan forms that are Da or Xiao but they are not these, and they do share a lot of moves, but they are from different lineages, more direct from Tai Tzu Quan derived Long Fist styles, not from these Shaolin versions.

Comment

Where can I find Xiao Hong Chuen clips?

Comment

I don't think I have any of those. I'll put it on the list of things to do. Right now, we're working on Muay Thai....
            Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
            russbo.com

Comment

Was just watching this Xiaohong quan video..

and realized it appears to be the exact same form I learned from a malaysian master 20+ years ago! I'd long forgotten the moves until I saw that vid but it was instantly familiar.

However I don't remember it being called "Xiaohong quan" and I'm not too sure what it was called.. I thought it was called (or sounded) something like 'chi kan chan' but I could be completely wrong.. could it have a different name in malaysia or sound different in different dialects?

Anyway its cool to see it.. thats the first video I found that resembled any form I learned before. It was actually the 4th form I learned back then. Now to see if I can relearn it from that little youtube vid..

Comment

chi kan chan is xiao hong quan in malaysian, far as I heard.

Comment

what about this one?
                  son of the light

Comment

Hey, I saw a bunch of our old videos up on Youtube.com , Thanks to Sampchin for putting them up there.
                    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
                    "Life can keep providing the rain and I'll keep providing the parade."
                    "I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle."
                    "Whatever guy said that money don't buy you pleasure didn't know where to go shopping"

Comment

ehh, too modern looking, he made the moves easier to do faster, and he cut some stuff out, the whole ending of Xiao Hong Quan.
                      Caa caa, i say.

Comment

Working...
                      X