No announcement yet.

Push Ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our sifu gets us to do knuckle push ups on his wooden floor, and only on the first two fingers (index and middle), so with alot of your body weight on just those knuckles they can get pretty sore. But it helps condition them and you begin to get used to it. You can also just hold the push up position, either in the normal ready position (high) or close to the ground (low....), which is good static training.

Other than that we also have to do a more intensive static training stance called Gin Gong. Where you start in a push up position (with all your weight on the front two knuckles of each hand), and then lift one arm so that the fist points towards the ceiling. Your body should be turned sideways and your feet outstretched with top leg slightly in front of the bottom leg to help balance yourself. Try to make sure your shoulder is inline above your knuckles Hold that position concentrating on your breathing and once you have had enough, switch arms. This is a great stance for shoulders, back, lats, obliques, arms, wrists & knuckles.

I hope this can help you in your training.
    Amitabha & Peace

Comment

okay, alright, no offense with the weenie thing, and yeah it seems a little hardcore, and yeah ive broken my hand on a tree but only cuz i was madder than mad and i sure as hell regret itook almost a year to fully heal considering the fact i didnt see a doc. but hey, you all are right. it works for me though. only do what you can handle i guess.
      "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

dont tell me you havent heard of this kind of training.
        "Life is a run. In attack we run, in defense we run. When you can no longer run, time to die" - Shichiroji "Seven samurai"

Comment

Well, yes, we've heard of this sort of thing, and I've seen it, and practiced it, in Shaolin, many times. But, you (or anyone else) don't progress to hitting trees and such, until you've built up your hand and wrist conditioning over years of training. Starting with sand, beans, etc, etc. It's all fully described in the Seidokan section of this site.

Personally, I see no reason for this type of hand / wrist conditioning. I think it only leads to future arthritis problems. And ugly hands.
          Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
          russbo.com

Comment

only do what you can handle i guess.

right

practice wu de

Comment

well there's iron palm, as Doc mentioned.

get a piece of wood and wrap it in hemp rope - cover the wood with the rope, tie it off and nail the board up somewhere, start off soft and punch it. that will condition the skin of your knuckles to be tougher.
              Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

I thought it was dangerous to practice iron palm without a compotent teacher.
                Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I think it's like anything else. If you go slowly, with enough education (from teacher or otherwise), and don't over do it, it shouldn't be harmful. I'm not a big fan of iron anything training though, as I think the long term effects of some of this are not worth the benefits.
                  Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
                  russbo.com

Comment

Originally posted by plumflower_pm
                    well there's iron palm, as Doc mentioned.

get a piece of wood and wrap it in hemp rope - cover the wood with the rope, tie it off and nail the board up somewhere, start off soft and punch it. that will condition the skin of your knuckles to be tougher.

welcome to the board ming... (it's np).
                    practice wu de

Comment

Hey np. nice place ya got here.

You should have an instructor for Irom palm, but the first couple of levels (beans, sand) are reasonable. I wouldn't progress beyond that without a guide.
                      Whatever doesn't kill me had better be able to run damn fast.

"You are one of the most self-deluded immature idiots I've come across here for a time..." —Blooming T. Lotus

Comment

i think pushups do streengthen you

Comment

With any bwe.. it depends.. where are you starting at? What is your goal... I certainly think they are worth the time from a muscle endarance standpoint.
                          practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                          X