No announcement yet.

Lost Sparring techniques.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do mainly XingYi, although i do some other stuff. I'm heading down to Houston tomorrow for some Shaolin.

The first set you generally learn in XingYi, Pi Quan (pronounced "Pee(tone4??)" and not to be confused with Pai shou ("Pie" dunno the tone), which is a different concept) is almost universally representative of metal. some teachers call it gold. The elements are Metal, Water, Wood, Fire and Earth; they are generally taught in that order as well though i have seen some variation.

Eagle is an animal...perhaps certain techniques and concepts represent different elements or are represented by them. In XingYi the animals are pretty much augmentations of one or more elements to teach you more application and kind of encourage you to explore the things you can do with each concept.

Where do you study/under who?

Comment

In basic five element theory, wind is not an element. Wood is an element, and wind is the climate associated with the wood element.

This is one of the reason's why one can use a splitting technique on the wood channels of the body (liver and gallbladder) to generate internal wind in his opponents body. In chinese medicine, internal wind is seen as spasms, convulsions, paralysis, and in its worst form, stroke.

This basic theory also explains why liver and gallbladder points are needled to release interior and exterior wind from the body.

Got a bit off topic there, but the point remains, though it's all fine to emulate wind in your martial arts practice, its not normally considered one of the five elements, though it does fit into five element theory.
      Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Interesting.....indeed

Where do you study/under who?
        I study under Li Peng Zhang....his teaching so far is pretty good and affective in my sparring.

I just started Tong Bei .... and sure do love it.

He's the best teacher I ever had in martial arts and I took many kinds also.

Comment

Thats really awesome man, if i lived in NY, Li Peng would be my first place to check out.

Dao- thanks for the info, i was wondering about wind. you sure know a lot about this stuff.

Comment

He mostly changed all his classes to N.J. He has decided to change the area to summit county next week .

Comment

Dogchow, how is the training going? I've been really lazy since TJL. Have you dabbled in Yang anymore, how is the Xing Yi and Shaolin coming?

As far as the elements go, we'll do some with our taiji sometimes. We'll go through something like the 24 with different emphasis. I particularly like earth.. as I feal that it encompasses so much with balance.

Question about the splitting action in Pi Chuan and the meridians. I feal that with some movements associated with Pi chuan, like the downward block and palm or punch, it has always seemed to feel like an effective target would be the collar bone area, is there a meridian to either the liver or gall bladder that runs through there?

From what I've seen of tongbei, it seems really fun.
              practice wu de

Comment

Several meridians run through the collarbone, namely stomach (which runs vertically downward through the center of the clavice on it's path which begins just under the eye and ends on the toes). Lung begins several inches under the collarbone slightly medial to the deltoid muscle and kidney ends just under the collarbone close to the sternum.

Liver and gallbladder are predominantly on the side of the body, and then when they run into the leg, liver is on the medial side of the leg and GB is on the lateral side.

If you want to further apply the five element theory though, wood controls earth, and thus one can use a wood natured (splitting) strike to attack an earth (stomach) channel with great effect.
                Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

Swaying back to topic for a moment.....

I also forgot to add that I have lost alot of strength and speed in my upper body area.I dont know what excercises to perform to increase my speed and strength...maybe pushups??...only problem if thats the answer...I'v been doing plenty of those but no improvement has been seen...Also been doing punches of all sort for months every day in a horse stance for as long as I could hold it.My punches are not as powerful and feels more on the flimsy side right now.Everything else I am working on getting back..I see a huge improvement.

Comment

If you want to further apply the five element theory though, wood controls earth, and thus one can use a wood natured (splitting) strike to attack an earth (stomach) channel with great effect.
                    OK, thats the fealing I was talking about specifically....

Cap, it may have more to do with mechanics than strength specifics right now... work on a heavy bag if you have the chance. You can also try doing hindu pushups for more all round strength.
                    practice wu de

Comment

I think the best way keeping you from going mad, is not to try to gain what you once had. Try, instead, to forget the past, and rediscover sparring. This is surely healthy, as you will probably see many aspects in different and new angles.

Comment

Last year I had a weights class first semester but not second. I hardly ever worked out in that time frame, and now I am back in weights and am weaker than ever.
                        *cries*
                        Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

ShaolinStylee

Whats up, well I stil play with the Yang. XingYi is going pretty cool, i've learned enough to keep myself busy with that. Also, i went down to Houston this last week and got corrected on Xiao Hong Quan, Yin Shou Guan, and i learned Tong Bei Quan. it was awesome, but man were they busy down there! apparently, the mayor of Houston recognized an official Shi De Shan day, so they were having some huge festival there that saturday.

Anyway, i hope everything is going well with you. send my regards to your teacher.

Comment

Could someone show me where I can buy a cheap but effective punching bag,recommended for shaolin kungfu training?

Greatly appreciated

thanks

Comment

I didn't know Shaolin had its own punching bag. Is it approved by the Abbott?

I guess my point is there isn't one. Just by a couple of focus pads and a hanging heavy bag.
                              Then just kick and punch the **** out of it until you're exhausted.

Comment

hahahahha

LOL MORTAL!!

Comment

Working...
                                X