No announcement yet.

Lost Sparring techniques.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The typical bag in Shaolin is this heavy canvas thing filled with sand. Not very good for your hands. In Thailand, they use leather bags (or leatherette) filled with old bicycle tires (take the valves off first). I use leather bags filled with scrap cloth at the school, beat it so that the clothe compresses down; eventually it develops a good resistance and feel.
    Experienced Community organizer. Yeah, let's choose him to run the free world. It will be historic. What could possibly go wrong...

"You're just a jaded cynical mother****er...." Jeffpeg

(more comments in my User Profile)
    russbo.com

Comment

nice.................

every time i think of trying to get a punching pag, i have another reson why i eventually forget to do it.

Comment

Because you can make one easily. Use an old sheet or something and fill it with sand and tie it off. Hang it from the ceiling. Also fill some jugs full of water and hang them for spin kicks.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

Also,I thought that sand doesnt give,making the impact hurt you more then the sand..?

By the way

Mortal is the most evilest person on this board.Always instagating and picking apart each and every single of my post out like a psychotic monkey on eight pounds of crack.

Evil I tell ya eviii...iill.....

Comment

Sand is good, depending on how tightly you fill the bag with it. Also, it shouldn't hurt you unless your technique is bad. Then you know you must fix something. Or your knuckles and/or feet are weak and the conditioning would be good for you anyway.

Yes, mortal is indeed evil.

Comment

Mortal's funny. hes a bit crazy, but every now and then he makes just enough sense to make up for some of the more neurotic stuff.

Comment

Mortal is a kung fu genius from Brooklyn.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by goninjago3

Wow, our first rider (well, for other than doc).
                    practice wu de

Comment

Wow a thread about me!

I am evil, but I am honest.

I went to the dark side of force years ago.
                      You get more chicks that way.

Comment

Hmm....Interesting

Ill have to try being evil sometime ..

Anyways...

New question popped up about the punching bag training.I was also wondering what improvements ill have with a wooden dummy and a punching bag.If a wooden dummy is the same thing as a punching bag...im set.

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by xing_jian108
                          Because you can make one easily. Use an old sheet or something and fill it with sand and tie it off. Hang it from the ceiling. Also fill some jugs full of water and hang them for spin kicks.
                          You know, I always thought the sand would just fall through.

But I have a regular...Spalding? Bag. Red, 40 lbs. It's a little B. It wasn't giving me any work, so I tied it to a pole for greater resistance.
                          Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Originally posted by snocap
                            Hmm....Interesting

Ill have to try being evil sometime ..

Anyways...

New question popped up about the punching bag training.I was also wondering what improvements ill have with a wooden dummy and a punching bag.If a wooden dummy is the same thing as a punching bag...im set.

cheers
                            While I like wooden dummies, I think that a heavy bag, if used correctly, will teach you to strike harder and cleaner (as you should be practicing hitting into or through the bag).
                            practice wu de

Comment

well, the more the better. there are techniques you can practice with a wooden dummy that you can't do with a punching bag, and there are techniques you can do with a punching bag that you cant do with a wooden dummy.

and theres techniques you can practice with an inflatable dummy, but we wont go there....

Comment

Sometimes I forget to state the obvious. Yeah, there are a lot of techs to be used, practiced, etc. on a wooden dummy. I just think for basic strikes, you can get more out of a bag.
                                practice wu de

Comment

Working...
                                X