Lost Sparring techniques.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah

I am looking for a way to speed up,make my punches accurate,and have better timing.

I found this site that has a smaller bag that looks like a small punching bag but acts like a

speed ball for just what I am looking for.

Just ignore that guy..he looks wierd..

Anyways..Something like that..which comes back almost instant for the next technique you would use.

What do you guys think?

Comment

I like hitting heavy bags, once in a while I'll use the speed bag, but not often. As far as accuracy goes, I'll pick something out on the bag and hit through that point, I think there is a lot to be said for picking a good target, but it just all really comes from reps. Lots and lots of reps, I can't stress that enough. As far as tech to tech goes, a real heavy bag is the only thing I like to practice front push, front snap, and round kicks to. As smaller bags move too much. The only thing I really do like as well are focus mitts.
      practice wu de

Comment

My top priority as of now is timing and gaining more speed...

Im trying to find different ways of how to build up more timing and a bit of my

speed up as of right now.

Comment

timing = sparring

speed = reps
          practice wu de

Comment

There are three things I've used to increase my punching speed. The third one overlaps what shaolinstylee just said.

The first thing is nunchuka. Try em for a month, your hands will get faster.

The second thing is ignoring your lead hand when you throw a jab, and using a turn on the ball of your lead foot (so that your heel flares foreward and snaps back into bow stance with the punch's recoil) to send out the jab.

The third is wing chun. But it's kind of a given that when you start training with a guy who wants you to throw a thousand punches every morning, your hands get faster.
            Show me a man who has forgotten words, so that I can have a word with him.

Comment

I havent had anyone to spar with..for over a year and still have noone.

So its a bit hard to work on timing since noone is around to spar with me anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by snocap
                I havent had anyone to spar with..for over a year and still have noone.

So its a bit hard to work on timing since noone is around to spar with me anymore...

There has to be a couple schools around you, see if any have an "open mat" night or anything.
                practice wu de

Comment

I doubt there would be any here in New Jersey...

It was hard enough to find Gong Fu here as it is.

The most I see is taekwandoe and karate schools...and they definatly are runned by

idiots alike thats for sure.

Comment

I know that feeling. Every school here is such a McDojo it makes me laugh. And then cry. Because I am screwed. Eh, but I did find an underground (sorta) teacher in the nearby city, it's just that the classes are never organized and the place we train is not either (storage area behind library=school?).
                    Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Well,worse comes to worse ill just try shadow sparring or something.

Im bound to find something that'll help me for now....

Comment

Just practice your forms with a great deal of intensity. Your handspeed will speed up. That is what kungfu forms are for. They ARE shadowboxing. It is all you need.

I took shaolin for 3 years. Then I started wingchun. My hand speed was faster then anyone in the class. Just from shaolin forms.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiYunFat
                          I know that feeling. Every school here is such a McDojo it makes me laugh. And then cry. Because I am screwed. Eh, but I did find an underground (sorta) teacher in the nearby city, it's just that the classes are never organized and the place we train is not either (storage area behind library=school?).

I studied for quite a bit like that with one of my recent teachers- learned Chen small frame in the winter snow in a park---- that was cool, but i froze my ass off. speaking of which, winter is coming up again; time to start looking for an indoor place.

Mortal- they will also develop the hell out of your legs.

Comment

How did you manage to find that kinda training?

Comment

LYF- well, ill assume you were asking me...if not, then disregard this as another one of those moments i was waving at someone who was waving at a person behind me.

But anyway, you would actually be pretty surprized how many people around you are into Chinese martial arts but just keep to themselves. You have to understand that not everybody that trained, or even went to China and got some training there, holds the experience in the regard that, perhaps some people on this board would.

One guy i studied from here (who has unfortunately moved back to Taiwan) was a top student of Luo De Xiu. He is VERY serious about teaching, and is also i think a very good teacher- easily the best i have had so far. He is also a Chinese Medicine Doctor. I have learned some Gao Bagua from this guy, and the last thing ive gotten to study from him was XingYi.

The other guy, while i studied from him, kept a very small and informal class where he would just kind of teach whatever it was he felt like teaching. nothing serious, just taught it for fun. I also learned what Da Hong Quan i know from this guy. Due to the nature of this person, we did not rent out a place and all we could do was a park. To be honest, while i am glad i learned what i learned, i am even more happy that i dont study out in that freezing ass cold anymore. The romantic idea of a small class out in a snowy park seems a lot less appealing when you cant tell how you step because your feet are THAT numb.

the problem is, you usually have no way of knowing if some of these people are sincere. As far as the first person i listed- he is undoubtably who he says he is, and people around the world know this guy, his teacher and his teacher's teacher (Z''L).
                              The second guy...well, realistically i cant prove anything, except that he met the first guy in Taiwan, so i know enough to say he did definately study abroad. To what extent, however, i often wonder.

anyway, i hope that was helpful. in a less long-winded and DoGcHoW-typical way of saying it: dont give up. you will be surprized what you come by. i would recommend you try this new guy. if nothing else, it might be a gateway for finding another, perhaps even better teacher.

Comment

Sorry dogchow, I was talking to you, and this time I was waving at you...but man, when you wave at someone else you just feel so lame, heheh.

Sorry if I sounded sad or unimpressed by the classes I am taking now. I was just in a humorous tone or something when I posted htat. I am really impressed by my teacher as of now. His movements are very solid and skillful. I enjoy class a lot when we have it and I do want to continue learning from him.

I was just wondering how you would find a man who taught in the park is all...

The way I found my teacher was my dad who works on base saw something that notified him of a kung fu class. Through the grapevine and ****...sorry if my typing sucks, my hands are kinda cold.

Comment

Working...
                                X