Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Sparring techniques.....

Hello,

For about 10 month now,I have stopped training as I did a year ago. Been having problems getting back the technique I had with sparring. I spar my sister's boyfriend,he takes shaolin with a monk also and is teaching me sparring with modern day shaolin kungfu.Like what you see Jet Li doing.Now when I spar,I lost my technique and its very sloppy and I dont have the same feeling I did way back then.For example,lets say he throws a punch,my reaction time is so much slower and I do get hit.I have been trying everything to get back my techniques,but nothing has worked and have been trying the exact same thing I did a year ago,no progress.Now,I am back to thinking of the next move that is coming and I stutter which throws my concentration out the window.Things havent been the same ever since ;\ .I was wondering if someone could help me find a way to gain my senses I had back.

Thanks

Well, the only way to get better at sparring is to spar. But when I have time off where I can't spar someone, what I do is practice my forms a lot. This helps my body be faster and ready to move in whatever way. It gets stuck in my muscle memory. And my body just knows how to move. There was about 6 months that I didn't have anyone to spar with me. I only practiced forms. And when I sparred again it was like I just sparred the day before. It was just the same. Like I didn't take a day off. When an attack came, I was ready for it and my body just moved the way it should. Because I also spent a lot of time daydreaming about sparring and what would happen and how I would move. I think training those forms so much really helped my body to be able to move when I need it to.

So that's my advice. If there's time when you can't spar. Then go train your forms at full speed and power. Throughout the day. Just do various parts of a form. Even throw moves together. Let your body come up with things. You'll see you are training your body to know what to do in sparring. This is the same with shadow sparring. Although I don't really like shadow sparring. But if that works for you. Try it. For me though, doing forms was great. I'd just do random parts of a form throughout the day while thinking of sparring. Then sparring was like I didn't miss a beat. So try that.

A mi tuo Fo
    -Xing Jian

Comment

It seems like you first need to relax.

Yeah, relax.

After getting back from the monastery, I was a little out of practice myself and pretty damn slow. But my friend and I would spar and I would work on my techniques and over a short time my speed and power are now far better than they were before I went to the monastery.

But the important thing is to relax, and not get so hung up on what you can't do. Just do what you can but always remind yourself that you are better than you are and try to get to that.

Also let it be a little frustrating, it will be encouragement for your training, just don't lose control of your anger. You have to be relaxed when sparring/fighting someone or else you WILL lose.
      "For some reason I'm in a good mood today. I haven't left the house yet, though. "

"fa hui, you make buddhism sexy." -Zachsan

"Friends don't let friends do Taekwondo." -Nancy Reagan

Comment

I think one of your problems is probably your trying to think to much. I'm thinking you know all the moves you want to do just have problem with the timing. Just let them come. Don't force it.

When I spar, and try and do some technique, it doesn't really work. Instead I try and focus on what on my opponent.
        "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Thanks all I will try these and see if it works for me...

Also,my sifu has been teaching me how to increase the strength in my stances.He's been making the class do tai chi stances and making us hold them for a minute or two.

Now my question about that is.....if I did these stances at home,how long should I be holding them for?And when I get better at it...how much longer would you guys say of holding the stance?

Last question.If I were to do this every day for about twenty-eight times a week,how big of an improvement will I be seeing in my kicks,speed,and overall stance performance?

Hehe sounds like a math question ^_^;;;.

Peace

Comment

of course, sometimes you just kind of lose it.

Comment

What other exercises that I can do by my self to increase overall speed and timing,besides shadow sparring and forms?I was thinking maybe hitting the punching bag or something...but I dont have one yet lol...

Comment

Originally posted by snocap
                Thanks all I will try these and see if it works for me...

Also,my sifu has been teaching me how to increase the strength in my stances.He's been making the class do tai chi stances and making us hold them for a minute or two.

Now my question about that is.....if I did these stances at home,how long should I be holding them for?And when I get better at it...how much longer would you guys say of holding the stance?

Last question.If I were to do this every day for about twenty-eight times a week,how big of an improvement will I be seeing in my kicks,speed,and overall stance performance?

Hehe sounds like a math question ^_^;;;.

Peace

f(x)=8x^5-5ix+3/4

But really, just do them for as long as you can do them. If you're holding them for like a minute or two each, put it up to 2:30 or 3. Make sure you do them right, though. But then again, you probably know that. Doing this will improve your stance performance more than anything.

But what do you mean by once a day, 28 times per week? Since when are there 28 days in a week?
                Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

I ment to say four times every day equaling at twenty eight -times a week.

Comment

"I spar my sister's boyfriend,he takes shaolin with a monk also and is teaching me sparring with modern day shaolin kungfu.Like what you see Jet Li doing."

Are you serious? How come nobody else is telling you how dumb that is?
                    Everyone just saves their attacks for me I guess.

Comment

Ohhh...

If you wanna go for all that, by all means, keep on keepin on. Just don't train so much you become evil.

Jow fah yup muah- Fire runs into you
                      Becoming what I've dreamed about.

Comment

Look how it says "Newbie" next to my name and not yours .Forget what I said about Jet Li...cause that was stupid since thats "Wushu" and movie crap. .Never mind....Just never mind! .

Meh....

Comment

Anywho......could someone tell me whats the best element out of water,wind.fire,earth and metal to fight with?

I like the feel of water cause you feel yourself fall into each movement with a very nice and smooth feeling.Feel the same way about wind but its alittle more difficult to feel it.

And the other 2...Fire and metal...are just plain hard to use and learn,while earth is easy but you run out of energy to quickly just like metal but less difficult.

O.O...!

Comment

what system are you talking about?

In the system i practice, Metal is the most basic.

Comment

My sifu has been recently teaching us Eagle Claw.Im thinking its more of a wind element then anything else right?

What system are you presently taking?Im thinking something like Jeet Kundo or something like that right?Please forgive me if im wrong,Im not really sure .

Comment

Working...
                              X