No announcement yet.

swords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RJW, What's the best source of information on the traditional Chinese sword dances?
    Are there are good training videos/books out there about it?
    Thus far my google search hasn't been very successful, and what I have found seems to be based more on tai chi. I'm looking for something a bit more athletic. (No offense to tai chi, it's a wonderful art.)
    Great post on the history of the sword, very informative.

Comment

Mostly you will find tai chi & ba gua for the sword forms, some of the others here probably know of books/videos on other Chinese sword & saber forms. (A hint, tai chi forms can be done quickly-once of course you've mastered them slowly.) I was strictly looking for historical information and drew form several different books a year or so ago. The main source for the sword was:

"Art Of Chinese Swordmanship : Manual Of Taiji Jian" by ZHANG YUN
      Publisher: Weatherhill; 1st ed edition (September 1, 1998) ISBN: 0834804123

Comment

Originally posted by Greenknight2
        Is a tachi different then a katana?
        Yes.

A katana or daito is thrust into the obi.

A tachi is usually suspended or slung- it has different mountings. It has a different kit than a daito, as far as the fittings for the blade. It has been awhile but I believe tachi were usually worn by higher ranking samurai and daimyo and so had appropriate dressings. I think another difference is that tachi were suspended edge down, while other swords were worn edge up. In addition, tachi never have any scabbard inserts, like some katana scabbards have those little knives. Tachi are also longer than katana, but not longer than I think 50 inches.
        "Arhat, I am your father..."
        -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Thanks for picking that up Arhat! I missed tachi From tai chi. Doh!

In the Muromachi Period (1392-1568), there were different kinds of swords, worn in different ways, for different purposes.

The original and most typical Japanese sword is called a tachi, and was worn hanging by cords from the waist. The wrappings, or mountings, were made to hold these tachi swords. The cords would be attached to two eyelets on the scabbard. During the Kamakura Period (1192 - 1333), samurai wore another kind of sword in addition to the long sword; a short sword called a koshigatana. Koshigatana were stuck directly into the belt instead of being strung onto the belt with cords. Paintings of battle scenes of narrative handscrolls from the period depict lower-level samurai wearing nothing but this short sword!

As time went by, swords that were stuck into the belt became more popular and common. After the koshigatana came other swords, such as chisagatana (small sword), uchigatana (slashing sword), katana (long sword), and wakizashi (side sword), all of which were stuck directly into the belt. By the Edo Period (1600-1868), almost all samurai wore both a short sword and a long sword (katana) stuck into their belt. By this time, the tachi sword had become mostly ceremonial and was no longer used in daily life.
          Attached Files

Comment

Interesting history I found here on Japanese swords & how they wore them in different periods.

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

also, the first "samurai" swords were straight bladed chinese style swords that came in through the korean peninsula.

there is a very interesting forum called the sword forum, that has tons of info too...
              -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Yes it is interesting.
                "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

What you said about swords being a restricted weapon in those times. They still are aren't they? I mean one doesn't go around with one generally.
                  "If you want pure self-defense buy a can of mace." Grandmaster Villari (I think that is it).

Comment

Well, in Japan they are restricted- no swords produced during WWII for the armed forces are legal.

Don't take that as gospel though, it has been awhile since I had to tap into that part of my head, lol...

But I think swords in Japan are classified in two catagories.

Google should be able to turn up the laws.
                    -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

in the old days the only sword a commoner could carry were the short swords or some long knives. if the swords were a set, they were a symbol of your social class and reserved for samurai. there are a lot more short swords out there because of this.
                      -the Dark Lord Cod

Comment

Well, I ment in the us. They are kind of restricted here too. I mean if someone say you walking the street with one. However if they say you walking the street with a cane, well, not really to concerned.

Comment

Working...
                        X